Coolant light in dash ??

jonnysimm

jonnysimm
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one else has had this before i start my car in the morning its ok till about after a min driving then the coolant light comes on so i checked the coolant and there is more than enough in there? could it be a fault sensor ? but it did come on about a month ago but it was low so filled it back up and everything was fine. so could it be to the cold weather than its using it more?

Any help would be appreciated jonny.

It doesn't use coolant as its a sealed system. It could be that you didn't fill it full enough or a faulty sensor in the header tank bottle...

This is a common fault on VAG cars and is caused by dirt/limescale etc building up on the metal prongs in the header tank. You can either change the tank (they're not too expensive) or try to clean the prongs with some wire wool or similar.

It always seems to be worse in the cold weather.

As Phil said.

Rather than trying to clean them, best bet is just buy a new bottle and a bottle of anti-freeze coolant from Audi. Still got my invoice and was only £27 all in. Change myself. Really easy fix if confident enough.
Or you could just take to a local garage with the parts and they will prob charge £40 for labour.

DO NOT go to main dealer, they quoted me 250, for diagnostics, parts and about an hour or so labour. It is only a 20 min job.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys for the reply ill have a look tomoz would it be ok to take it out and empty it and clean it and put some fresh water in it?

There are three pipes that go to the bottle, all which are held on with crimped clips, this can be a pain to get off. Be prepared and have replacement jubilee clips ready for when you put back together.

Do not use fresh water as it will only freeze up, you need anti freeze coolant from Audi or halfords or similar.

TBH, if you are going to take the bottle and give a clean, for what it's worth you may as well buy a new one.

Ok cheers well yeh knew had to add anti freeze. if i replace it would i have to try n drain the remaining water plus anti freeze ?

I just left the bottle in and cleaned the prongs of the sensor , worked a treat

Took the sensor out and gave it a clean and everything seems ok? its not come back on so maybe it was just abit dirty. thanks for the input if it comes back i will prob end up changing it.

Took the sensor out and gave it a clean and everything seems ok? its not come back on so maybe it was just abit dirty. thanks for the input if it comes back i will prob end up changing it.

How did you take the sensor out? I thought it was sealed to the the inside of the tank?