Bonnet doesn't seem to fit correctly aligned........??

TheMacMagician

Reaction score
Website
www.infullmotion.co.uk
Been thinking about having my grille sprayed black, looked back at my photographs of it and checked it out last night while fitting sidelights and the bonnet genuinely doesn't seem to fit right down to perfect alignment. I've looked at images of AidenUK's SB same as mine and his seems to be flush, although the images weren't shot from the angle mine are. There does seem to be a lip though that doesn't feel quite right. Could anyone shed any light on this? Hoping this ain't nothing major(fingers crossed).

TMM_A3_Grille_Bonnet.jpg

Cheers

Davo..

When I changed my bonnet to accommodate my full grille conversion I had this same problem and my friend who helped me fit the bonnet also mechanic and body repairer just opened the bonnet held it up and bent it either way and it made massive crack! But aligned it up perfectly then he said to me that it wouldn't have made that noise if it was aligned right. So you could try that but I'd recommend not to hard incase doesn't go as smoothly.

When I changed my bonnet to accommodate my full grille conversion I had this same problem and my friend who helped me fit the bonnet also mechanic and body repairer just opened the bonnet held it up and bent it either way and it made massive crack! But aligned it up perfectly then he said to me that it wouldn't have made that noise if it was aligned right. So you could try that but I'd recommend not to hard incase doesn't go as smoothly.

Wow, really. That is interesting. I'm hopefully getting down to see user N8 soon so might see if he can help me out with that or has any recommendation. When you say "bent it either way" down you mean directly left and right from looking at it face on from the front??

Cheers for the reply!!

Wow, really. That is interesting. I'm hopefully getting down to see user N8 soon so might see if he can help me out with that or has any recommendation. When you say "bent it either way" down you mean directly left and right from looking at it face on from the front??

Cheers for the reply!!

Yeah sorry didn't really describe that very well he just held both corners at the top and twisted it either way.

I dont mean to scaremonger or anything, but misaligned panels, especially at the front of the car, is a sign of crash damage. When Im looking at a new car I always check the gaps between the bonnet and wings are equal and that the bonnet and bumper etc all sit flush.
Has it been crashed?

I dont mean to scaremonger or anything, but misaligned panels, especially at the front of the car, is a sign of crash damage. When Im looking at a new car I always check the gaps between the bonnet and wings are equal and that the bonnet and bumper etc all sit flush.
Has it been crashed?

Hi pal. I was kinda thinking that, but I'm not sure whether "misalignment" is maybe the wrong description on my part. I can totally see what you would mean, but everything is perfect, just that the bonnet doesn't seem to sit down maybe by maybe 6 - 8mm when it meets the grille and headlights. Alignment/spacing between wings is perfectly equal either side so it is literally as if that bonnet needs to dip by that extra 6 - 8mm. If it was crashed, its been incredibly well concealed I'd say, as everything is pretty immaculate barring a few stone chips here and there on the grille, bumper and bonnet.

You've confimed for me that I should defo have it looked at anyhow.

DAvo.........

Mine did this whe I removed the bumper to wrap my grill.

It ended up being the bumper that needed lining up

Mine did this whe I removed the bumper to wrap my grill.

It ended up being the bumper that needed lining up

That's an interesting answer as I think the bumper has a large chip at the bottom that has been touched up, maybe they took the bumper off to make it easier to finish and didn't refit perfect. How did they correct it for you??

My S3 8P2 bonnet looked misaligned from factory, so much so we queried it with the dealer who said they all seemed to look a bit off. Just accepted it, but didn't look that different to yours.

My S3 8P2 bonnet looked misaligned from factory, so much so we queried it with the dealer who said they all seemed to look a bit off. Just accepted it, but didn't look that different to yours.

Oh right. It does look perfect aside from needing to sit a fraction deeper when the front end above the lights and grille are concerned.

Whe I get it down to N8's place I'll see whether they think it needs checking. Cheers for the replies fellas.

Hi TheMacMagician, just wondering did you ever get the bumper to line up and if so how? I've just noticed that my gap seems large since changing xenons last year. However, either i am getting paranoid or it seems to have dropped slightly more when looking at it yesterday. The car has not been any crashes so i know its to with bumper alignment, just wondering how to align it.

My car is brand new, and I've noticed an ever so slight overhang of the leading edge of the bonnet. The bonnet itself is perfectly aligned all round; Perhaps it's just like that? Aerodynamics or something? Just my 2p!

My car is brand new, and I've noticed an ever so slight overhang of the leading edge of the bonnet. The bonnet itself is perfectly aligned all round; Perhaps it's just like that? Aerodynamics or something? Just my 2p!

Definitely not meant to be like that. Mine is slightly smaller gap than the first picture posted in this thread. But when i first got the car it was perfect. Bonnet is fine, just the bumper needs to move up.