More Noise from my V6 exhaust ?

I

imported_S_Line

I have a A3 3.2 V6 DSG S Line and want a bit more noise out of the rear end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can anyone reccommend either just a back box ? or do i need to change the whole exhaust to get a bit more noise ?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a A3 3.2 V6 DSG S Line and want a bit more noise out of the rear end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can anyone reccommend either just a back box ? or do i need to change the whole exhaust to get a bit more noise ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As per

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=181815&an=0&page=0#181815

I am able to get Milltek through our supplier at work. I have the prices for the 2.0tdi but am not sure about the 3.2V6 If you would like me to check I can do.

Matt

What happened to going about your sporty driving in a 'stealthy' manner ?
Why does noise seem to be 'de rigeur' in cars just now ?

Leave noisy back boxes for the ****** Corsas and bleedin Subarus of the world,I say.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Couldn't agree more bowfer. If you want a car that makes a lot of noise, your driving the wrong car.

Try getting a 2 year old to go to sleep when there's twits with backboxes the size of dustybin going past her window...

It's quite a new thing and I believe there's little/no legislation for cars.

Bikes,however,are required to display an EU kitemark on their silencers.No kitemark,you're nicked (potentially).

I wish to hell they'd bring in the same thing for cars.

I couldn't give a monkeys if that makes me sound like an 'old fart'.

There are noise leglislations that in theory could classify you as anti social and get you nicked... remeber the news, some geeza up north got nicked for playing riverdance too loud (rightly so). But the likelyhood of this ever happening would be non existent.
Personally... new audi, aftermarket exhaust... ouch!

I'm starting to see some nasty decorations on earlier S3's now... tragic IMO.

If you have a 3.2 V6 growl , then i want everyone to hear it !!!

Matt, can you get me a price and PM it too me including delivery to Norwich Norfolk,

Cheers mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a bit more noise is all i ask !!!

Dont want to mad and get a full on Milltek system ?

DOnt know what to do ?

The systems that Milltek produce are not designed to be loud like the tunnel sized ones that you see on Saxos and Corsas. Milltek design their systems for optimum power increase. Unfortunately, for some any way, this means that the sound they produce increases, but not to the point where it is intrusive. I had a Milltek system on my last car and it wasn’t any more intrusive than a R32 Golf at 30-40mph.

Milltek only do a cat back for the 3.2 V6 if you are happy with that let me know and I will try and get a price for you tomorrow.

Cheers DSGSport.. but i dont want to take a good cat back box off and put another good cat back box back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cant find any sound clips of the Milltek back box either, there is none on thier site for the 3.2 a3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Same thing with E.marking applies to cars as well as motorcycles.....
The police can and do use this to prosecute ................

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers DSGSport.. but i dont want to take a good cat back box off and put another good cat back box back on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cant find any sound clips of the Milltek back box either, there is none on thier site for the 3.2 a3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They do not have any of the 8P A3 but if you go to

www.millteksport.com

Then go to the media section, they have some video clips of R32's and a Mini Cooper S.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that right ?
I've had this out with coppers who say there's no such thing.
The only comment I got was that bike silncers,being visible,are easily checked whereas car one's aren't.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I don't mean to offend anyone here but I notice that the people making comments about so called 'Noisy backboxes' all seem to be TDI drivers. There is nothing wrong with putting an aftermarket backbox on a new A3, I've done it, and I couldn't be happier. The whine from my 2.0FSI was appauling, a subtle powerflow backbox has made it a new car for me.
I agree that exhausts that I regularly see on corsas etc are ridiculous.
But I think you'll find that the people you'll find on here are not going to put dustbin can exhausts on the back of their A3s.
So telling S_Line he's bought the wrong car or that putting an aftermarket exhaust on a new audi is wrong doesn't help out much.
I recommend getting a Miltek, it will give your car the sound it should have been making when it came out of the factory.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif <--Me

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with putting an aftermarket backbox on a new A3, I've done it, and I couldn't be happier. when it came out of the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd venture the people inside any homes you drive past regularly aren't quite so happy.

You may think it's a nice noise but I'd bet a princely sum that as you drive past,someone,somewhere is calling you a noisy *$%&@"

Let's face it,any small gain in performance is going to pretty much be in your head as well,so you're just making noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i got pulled over once and the police checked if my car had the EU stamp on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did they do this ?
Did they actually get down on their knees and crawl under the car ?

I'm interested as I want a couple of neighbourhood noise nuisances done.

Any links to the legislation,as the coppers I've spoken to have categorically said there's no noise limits for cars (which I found incredible).

It is a custom system so it didnt have a stamp and they said they would possibly check if they pull me over again so i bought a stamp!!

This time however they asked me to follow them back to the police station and then looked under the car on their hands and knees.

So lucky i had one when i got checked last time!! They were pulling over all modified cars they saw and checking!!

Cheers

Oh yeah on the noise thing there is a 90dB limit i think.

Police can do people if there aftermarket exhause is louder than standard but they never enforce this as its too much hassle much like numberplates with dodge spacing or funny fonts.

130db is helluva loud !
That's heading for jet aircraft take-off levels.
90db is far more likely.

[ QUOTE ]
130db is helluva loud !
That's heading for jet aircraft take-off levels.
90db is far more likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely the frequency is just as relevant as loudness. If it's really throaty / basey then the noise will travel through house walls etc. more so than a loud higher frequency noise.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd venture the people inside any homes you drive past regularly aren't quite so happy.

You may think it's a nice noise but I'd bet a princely sum that as you drive past,someone,somewhere is calling you a noisy *$%&@"

[/ QUOTE ]

My car isn't running a 4" downpipe Jap exhaust system, its probably no louder than your diesel!
Changing your backbox does not mean you car will instantly become a noise machine, I made sure of then when my backbox was fitted.

I think we might be missing the point here.

The best sound from a multicylinder is the INDUCTION roar, not the exhaust noise. Listen to an M3 or a VW VR6, its all induction.

90% or more of what you hear in the cabin is induction noise anyway. Thats what is a bit muffled in the Audi A3 3.2 (not only my opinion, see lots of car mags) Not so in the Golf R32 or TT 3.2.

The only time you hear the exhaust is in a tunnel or when its too loud!!!

I don't think exhaust note is they way to go, try a (cheaper) freeflow filter kit and i bet that'll sound great.

IMO of course

LOL i dont give a fupp regarding any Eu stuff, i just want a bit more noise,

Its far quieter than my WR1 which had Standard Pro Drive exhaust system on it.

Apart from Miltek theres no one else ?

SuperSprint do a system for the 1.6 and the 2.0tdi but not the 3.2V6. I know that magnex have just released a system for the A3/ Golf v but no info on it, If you wanted to give them a ring I can get the number for you?

Will keep looking for you though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that right ?
I've had this out with coppers who say there's no such thing.
The only comment I got was that bike silncers,being visible,are easily checked whereas car one's aren't.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have a very good friend who has just retired from the Bill. They do get down and inspect the back box. Its not often but they have done boy racers causing a nuisance ........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think we might be missing the point here.

The best sound from a multicylinder is the INDUCTION roar, not the exhaust noise. Listen to an M3 or a VW VR6, its all induction.

90% or more of what you hear in the cabin is induction noise anyway. Thats what is a bit muffled in the Audi A3 3.2 (not only my opinion, see lots of car mags)

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree with you more! I've taken the plunge and orderd a BMC carbon dynamic airbox (basically a cone shaped cotton filter in a carbon cylinder with a venturi-producing funnel).
Should be receiving it any day now and as soon as I get it, I'll post pics etc.
Yes I'm concerned about oil and the MAF, as well as potentially less effective filtration, but it's my car and I'm taking my chances.

Re: the whole noise thing, it's all a matter of politeness, isn't it? I mean, when driving through a neighborhood, anyone with half a brain drives sensibly, without "opening it up". There will always be jerk-offs who rip through neighborhoods at ungodly hours... I say linch those b*stards, but please don't go calling the cops on responsible drivers who want to hear their motor!

the miltek isn't loud to be honest.. infact i would say it wasn't as loud at the standard one it just gives it a different tone..

regarding the BMC Air filter.. i put a panel filter on mine and you cant hear that at all when the bonet is closed but when its open you can really hear it suck...

with the Carbon cone version just change the K&N filter for one without oil and then all should be fine.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you tried unplugging the vacuum pump on the exhaust flap?

Mine sounds a little different after I did this, but still not as nice as my mate's R32!

yup, the "flapper mod" is much less effective on the A3 than on the R...

can't wait to hear the milltek, which is going on May 13th ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
I've had several mates say my A3 sounds better than an R32

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude they are being kind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif was the comment followed by a request to have a blast in your car?

J.

At the back of the car look under it and at the exaust on the left hand side you will see an actuator on the side of the exhaust with a black pipe connected to it. Remove the pipe and block the end with a screw and cable tie out of the way. Result is a slight noiser car - the flapper is reduce the noise below 3K revs.

J.

Well goodness me, instant free mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers.