Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Indy's 2.0TDI Progress Thread

1st Gear

Status

Indy's 2.0TDI Progress Thread

Hey people. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and thought it's time I introduced myself!

My names Indy, I'm 22 years old and based in Leeds.

Whilst at University I was really into 'show cars' and used to attend a lot of VW shows each year. I've matured a lot since then and could no longer bear having a car which was impractical in every sense of the word, lowered to within inches off the ground etc etc.

I quickly lost interest in modifying to that extent which led me to buy my first Audi. A 2.0 TDI sport in Brilliant Black.

As I've already done the whole coilovers wound right down, stretched tyres thing, my aim for the Audi is to upgrade it using OEM parts and make subtle styling changes which won't cause the car to look overly modified. In other words I want the car to look as if it could have come direct from the factory with the changes I make.

I feel I've done enough talking, so I'll fire away with some pictures.

Here is my previous car, which I still have. Reason I still have this car is that it's currently in the process of being featured in a magazine. I'm not sure which one yet. The photoshoot is this Saturday which I'm excited about!

As you can see, it's not the ideal car to roll up to work in each day, suited and booted!

P.S. Excuse the dirty 'daily' mats

And here is my Audi! Sorry for the quality of these pics, I took them quickly using my iPhone.

I didn't waste much time before modifying. Within a couple of weeks I fitted a centre arm rest. I was surprised to find that the securing hole for the arm rest was already threaded, as I read somewhere on the forum that it was not pre-threaded and a nut would have to be used.

Currently, the car is sat in the bodyshop having the following done.

Front 2005-2008 S-Line bumper with black S3 grill and gloss black Audi emblem.

Rear S-Line spoiler

Rear 2008-2011 Black Edition bumper and diffuser

Rear gloss black Audi emblem and deletion of 'A3' and '2.0 TDI'

Really excited to get it back, hopefully will be this week!

That's all for now, will update this thread with the cars progress!

Indy
    Last edited by warren_S3; 3rd February 2012 at 18:06.
    Paullie likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Congrats on the new car and the polo looked tidy.
    Looking forward to seeing new photos once you get it back.
    Plans so far sound good Any plans for MY09/MY11 rears and lower?
    Last edited by Ash B; 31st January 2012 at 19:43.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash B View Post
    Congrats on the new car and the polo looked tidy.
    Looking forward to seeing new photos once you get it back.
    Plans so far sound good Any plans for MY09/MY11 rears and lower?
    Cheers mate!

I'll definitely be getting MY11 rears, as for lowering most likely it will be 30mm Eibach springs or 35mm H&R springs. I'm looking for a tad lower than S-Line so I think those options will fit the bill. I had FK Highsport coilovers on the Polo, but really want a 'fit and forget' option on the Audi so I think the fixed height springs fit the bill perfectly! Looking to get the lights and lowering done after I've sorted wheels out, which will hopefully be in the next 4 weeks!

I was looking forward to getting the car back until I got an annoying call from the bodyshop. The rear bumper I gave them was for an A4, not an A3! I am annoyed at myself for making this mistake but more annoyed at the seller who listed it as an A3! They are so similar it's hard to tell in the pictures! Luckily I got it cheap so I could probably sell it on at a profit but now the hunt starts again for an A3 rear facelift bumper!

6th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the forum Indy. I'm loving the eurostyled polo. Your Audi should look good when out from the bodyshop, i'll look forward to seeing some pics of the transformation
    Ron
    Audi A3 8P2 2.0Tfsi S-Line Special Edition Bluefin

3dr Mauritius Blue || Full Leather|| BOSE || MFSW || Auto Lights/Wipers || Auto Dim Rearview Mirror || Heated Mirrors
    Mods: S3 Aluminium Pedals || S3 Vents || 2010 RNSE || OEM Bluetooth || Dension Gateway 100 || MY09 Rear Lights || Single Xenon Headlights

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Cheers mate!

I'll definitely be getting MY11 rears, as for lowering most likely it will be 30mm Eibach springs or 35mm H&R springs. I'm looking for a tad lower than S-Line so I think those options will fit the bill. I had FK Highsport coilovers on the Polo, but really want a 'fit and forget' option on the Audi so I think the fixed height springs fit the bill perfectly! Looking to get the lights and lowering done after I've sorted wheels out, which will hopefully be in the next 4 weeks!

I was looking forward to getting the car back until I got an annoying call from the bodyshop. The rear bumper I gave them was for an A4, not an A3! I am annoyed at myself for making this mistake but more annoyed at the seller who listed it as an A3! They are so similar it's hard to tell in the pictures! Luckily I got it cheap so I could probably sell it on at a profit but now the hunt starts again for an A3 rear facelift bumper!
    Good man, MY11 update the rears so much with the new bumper. There a few guys running them and a thread about it with some good reviews. What wheels you thinking of getting?! Sorry to hear about the bumper nightmare but get it sold and get the correct one looking forward to the updates

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
    Welcome to the forum Indy. I'm loving the eurostyled polo. Your Audi should look good when out from the bodyshop, i'll look forward to seeing some pics of the transformation
    Thank you!

Really looking forward to it coming out when I manage to source the correct rear bumper.

Good man, MY11 update the rears so much with the new bumper. There a few guys running them and a thread about it with some good reviews. What wheels you thinking of getting?! Sorry to hear about the bumper nightmare but get it sold and get the correct one looking forward to the updates
    Don't worry Ash I'm on the hunt for the new bumper! Hopefully I'll have one sorted tomorrow morning.

Wheels I'll be going for 18" BBS CK's in silver. I'm wanting to make the car quite stealthy, so ideally I'd get the anthracite ones but they're £300 more than the silvers, and not dark enough. So I'm planning on buying the silvers which I'll run for a couple of months before having them refurbed in a really dark anthracite.

Once the expensive wheels are sorted I can easily get the 'cheaper' bits and pieces like springs, MY11 rears and tints. I also need to get an exhaust system sorted because I've noticed that when the facelift/black edition rear end is fitted the existing tailpipes get buried into the bumper and almost become invisible.

5th Gear

Status
    hi Indy good luck with the new car. just so you know, we all love pic's keep them coming

MPG the new BPH

Status
    welcome to the fourm looking fatward to seeing your work on the a3

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I've managed to source the correct bumper. Didn't take long, should hopefully be here on Thursday! This ones also in black so less prep work required!

2nd Gear

Status
    You move fast on the A3 upgrades.
    Well done, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished job.

Nicely done on the Polo too.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by poli84 View Post
    You move fast on the A3 upgrades.
    Well done, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished job.

Nicely done on the Polo too.
    Thanks

I'm on a little bit of a strict deadline for the bodywork to be completed as I'm starting a new job on Monday so wanted to get it all done before then.

Looking forward to taking some proper pictures once it's back!

1st Gear

Status
    Thank you!

Really looking forward to it coming out when I manage to source the correct rear bumper.

Don't worry Ash I'm on the hunt for the new bumper! Hopefully I'll have one sorted tomorrow morning.

Wheels I'll be going for 18" BBS CK's in silver. I'm wanting to make the car quite stealthy, so ideally I'd get the anthracite ones but they're £300 more than the silvers, and not dark enough. So I'm planning on buying the silvers which I'll run for a couple of months before having them refurbed in a really dark anthracite.

Once the expensive wheels are sorted I can easily get the 'cheaper' bits and pieces like springs, MY11 rears and tints. I also need to get an exhaust system sorted because I've noticed that when the facelift/black edition rear end is fitted the existing tailpipes get buried into the bumper and almost become invisible.
    Just a thought on wheels - I went for the BBS VZs in Titanium\Graphite from wheelbasealloys.com - to me they look very much like the CK's but are a little more affordable (and therefore a little heavier I believe)

Buy 18 Inch BBS VZ Titanium Alloy Wheels | 18 inch Alloys | BBS Alloys

6th Gear

Status
    Thank you!

Glad to hear you got the rear bumper sorted fella. BBS CKs are a good choice had a set myself last year wish i kept them but only had them in 18s and always wanted them in 19s. Sounds like a better option getting the silver ones running them and then getting a refurb. Saving yourself some money and agree the anthracite is very light. Here a photo of mine. Paullie who has a 8P3 Yellow S3 got 18" BBS CK and had them done in a darker anthracite have a look at her build thread, should give you an idea on colour.

Yeah a few members either had a new back box or got new stainless steel exhaust tips off ebay or stoke audi i think and just fitted them. When you think you will get photos up? Forgot to say congratz on the feature on the polo, you still gonna keep hold of it or get rid? Will you and the A3 be at any of the shows this year?

Quote Originally Posted by essIII View Post
    Just a thought on wheels - I went for the BBS VZs in Titanium\Graphite from wheelbasealloys.com - to me they look very much like the CK's but are a little more affordable (and therefore a little heavier I believe)

You mean CH's fella. The VZ's are the same style you get on the edition 30 GTI. Good choice in wheels and cant complain about the price either.

1st Gear

Status
    You mean CH's fella. The VZ's are the same style you get on the edition 30 GTI. Good choice in wheels and cant complain about the price either.
    Yep, my bad!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by essIII View Post

I have looked into the VZs but they don't really appeal to me. I think I'll hold out a bit longer and just get my first choice CKs.

1st Gear

Status
    Glad to hear you got the rear bumper sorted fella. BBS CKs are a good choice had a set myself last year wish i kept them but only had them in 18s and always wanted them in 19s. Sounds like a better option getting the silver ones running them and then getting a refurb. Saving yourself some money and agree the anthracite is very light. Here a photo of mine. Paullie who has a 8P3 Yellow S3 got 18" BBS CK and had them done in a darker anthracite have a look at her build thread, should give you an idea on colour.

Yeah a few members either had a new back box or got new stainless steel exhaust tips off ebay or stoke audi i think and just fitted them. When you think you will get photos up? Forgot to say congratz on the feature on the polo, you still gonna keep hold of it or get rid? Will you and the A3 be at any of the shows this
    I too originally wanted 19's but then saw something about the 19's being more suitable for the S3. Also with me wanting to maintain comfort and practicality I thought it be best I stuck to the original 18" wheel with original tyre sizes. I have seen Paullie's S3 and the refurb she had done on her CKs is almost identical to how I'd want mine doing.

I'm in two minds about the exhaust, I'd like to get a non resonated cat back but I'm choosing between custom or milltek. More than likely I'll end up with a milltek just for a bit of extra chat on full throttle.

As for the Polo mate, that'll definitely be going as soon as my photoshoot is done. Having that car in my driveway is just a hindrance so I'm looking forward to getting rid and investing the return I get from it. I think if I attended any shows it would be an Audi specific one. I'm not into VWs anymore and not turned on by the sort of overly modified cars you see there. Audis in the Park could be a real possibility this year!

1st Gear

Status
    I am really not having any luck with rear bumpers

First I receive an A4 one which was listed as an A3. So I bought an actual A3 one, which looked mint, but is missing the inner fixings/support bar. Also part of the arch securing strip has come away and cannot be repaired.

The bodyshop are going to see what they can do with it, and may use the fixings from my original bumper, but they are bonded on to the bumper so it could be some work.

Either way, I'm pee'd off with stupid sellers selling half a product and mis-representing their bumpers!

I've used this bodyshop for all the work on my Polo, so they know I'll only settle for the perfect finish, so on Monday afternoon they're going to let me know if this bumper can be salvaged or if I need to buy yet another!

On the plus side the rest of the car is coming on okay, bit slower than I expected but hopefully will be done for next Tues/Wed.

Anyway, some pictures.

Looks mean with no bumper:

Tailgate is being resprayed because it's been painted in the past to a poor standard (probably why the paint came off when I tried to de-badge it a few weeks ago).

Dent on near side wing repaired:

S-Line front bumper ready for priming and paint:

Bit of an A3 party in the bodyshop. An 'actual' S-Line having a fair bit of work done:

Last edited by Indy; 3rd February 2012 at 16:09.

1st Gear

Status
    it'll be worth it in the end Indy! sorry to hear about your bad luck so far. were they from ebay? you should put in some major complaints with ebay if they were.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by plezz View Post
    it'll be worth it in the end Indy! sorry to hear about your bad luck so far. were they from ebay? you should put in some major complaints with ebay if they were.
    Thanks mate.

Both were from 'reputable' Top Rated Seller scrapyards on eBay. I had no problem with the spoiler, front bumper and the rest.

The rear bumper looks as if it has been ripped off the car with. They're a very good bodyshop so hopefully they can work something out.

I have contacted the sellers, but it is so much hassle to send the bumpers back so I am trying to get a bit of money refunded for their mistakes. Then I will just sell the bumpers privately, collection only.

As I'm in a bad mood at the moment I'm thinking of cheering myself up with pre-mature MY11 rears which I was going to leave until next month, but think it's best to wait until Monday when I'll find out if the bumper can be used or not.

1st Gear

Status
    Also a quick question,

how do I edit the title of this thread?

Want to rename it to Indy's Build Thread now that I've introduced myself.

Status
    Good luck with the car, looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Plans for the interior?????

And welcome to ASN!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Good luck with the car, looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Plans for the interior?????

And welcome to ASN!
    Thanks Warren

I've also got plans for the interior, but was wanting to complete the exterior first.

My plans include:

SG Styling leather retrim (same guys that did my Polo). Want it to look OEM so most likely black with a contrast stitch.
    FBMFSW
    Piano black inlays
    S3 vents
    Latest S-Line gear knob
    Cruise control
    MK2 RNSE with facelift console switches
    LED interior light upgrade

I did want a facelift headlight switch, but because I'm so anal I decided against it because the knob wouldn't match the climate control knobs, so think the switches are going to remain as they are.

That's what I can think off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll find something else to do

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Looks good mate. What body shop is that? I'm looking for a good one round West Yorkshire. Would you recommend it?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Looks good mate. What body shop is that? I'm looking for a good one round West Yorkshire. Would you recommend it?
    Ta mate.

It's JR Autobodies in Harehills. Really large premises with a very good reputation. I'd recommend them to anyone. The work they did on my Polo was outstanding.

Noticed that there are quite a few West Yorkshire chaps on here!

Status
    Hi Indy, thread title changed as requested, cheers, W
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Hi Indy, thread title changed as requested, cheers, W
    Ta Warren

MK5 Golf GT

Status
    Can't wait to see the car Indy
    Golf MK5 GT TDI | Mapped to 180bhp - 290lbft | 35mm H&R Springs | Silver Cabon Fibre Inlays | 20% Rear Tints

To Do: RNS/RCD510 | FBSW | Backbox Delete | Ed30 Rear Valance | Black BBS CH 18"

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Ta mate.

It's JR Autobodies in Harehills. Really large premises with a very good reputation. I'd recommend them to anyone. The work they did on my Polo was outstanding.

Noticed that there are quite a few West Yorkshire chaps on here!

Cheers mate, they good at colour matching then? I'll get in touch with them
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    You know my thoughts m8

Any help with anything just ask!

Selling MY11 rear lights, message me for a price

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggins92 View Post
    You know my thoughts m8

Any help with anything just ask!
    Cheers Sam, things are moving along nicely now :D

1st Gear

Status
    Got a nice little package through the post today.

I first got this idea after seeing pictures of Sam's (shiggins92) exhaust system.

Originally I wanted to fit a full Milltek system at a cost of nearly £600. Realising that there aren't any real performance gains to be had in the cars current tuning state I then decided to have a cheaper full system custom built at Longlife. I then realised that even that could be a waste of money, so I've decided, for now, to have the backbox replaced with a straight through pipe with a tip of my choice welded on the end.

This needed to be done for two reasons. Firstly, the current exhaust will become hidden and look ridiculous once the facelift rear is on, and secondly I'd like a bit of sound when booting it. As this work will only be costing me around £70 in total it's relatively low risk, as opposed to spending hundreds on a Milltek and possibly not being entirely happy.

Here are a few pics of the tips. I love Milltek 'special' tips, so I went for the nearest thing I could find. They're 3" pipes, so the same size as the Milltek ones. These won't look too out of place but the right people will know that they are not standard, which is what I want

Will have them fitted the day after the car comes out of the bodyshop

1st Gear

Status
    Why didnt you just get an s line?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by monster_munch View Post
    Why didnt you just get an s line?
    More cost effective not to and I'm not trying to make an S-Line replica. I only paid £6,600 for this car with FSH and 60k on the clock which at the time was a steal.

Quite a lot of people buy Sports and put the S-Line bumpers on.

If I did buy an S-Line, I'd still have to change the rear bumper, diffuser, front grill, rear lights, interior etc. The only bits I would have kept which aren't on the Sport is the front bumper, rear spoiler and black headlining. So it would barely have been of any benefit to buy an S-Line to begin with and the price differences between Sports and S-Lines at the time was too big
    Last edited by Indy; 4th February 2012 at 19:13.

1st Gear

Status
    Thats fair enough mate.
    I bought a sport instead of an s line purely because s lines do cost a good few thousand more.
    I did plan to get an s line, but when my sport came up on auto trader is was too good to pass up (32k miles, fAsh, water pump and timing belt changed etc for £7900). The equivelant s line would have cost £2-3000 more.
    Are you going to change the wheels? If theres one thing Im not crazy on about the sport, its the axe head wheels!

3rd Gear

Status
    If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the exhaust tips from bud?
    55' BMW 330Cd M Sport
    The ones that have been left behind:
    • 2004 VW Golf R32
    • 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
    • 2000 BMW 318i M Sport
    Private plate for sale: Y 7RYY

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by monster_munch View Post
    Thats fair enough mate.
    I bought a sport instead of an s line purely because s lines do cost a good few thousand more.
    I did plan to get an s line, but when my sport came up on auto trader is was too good to pass up (32k miles, fAsh, water pump and timing belt changed etc for £7900). The equivelant s line would have cost £2-3000 more.
    Are you going to change the wheels? If theres one thing Im not crazy on about the sport, its the axe head wheels!

Sounds like you were in the same boat mate. The S-Line was just too much more to purchase. The wheels are being replaced with 18" BBS CK's in silver, which I'll then refurb in dark anthracite after running them for a few months.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the exhaust tips from bud?
    The tip was from MijExhaust. I got it from their eBay store.

3rd Gear

Status
    From the effort put into your first car im guessing this will also be epic! I cant wait

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggins92 View Post
    From the effort put into your first car im guessing this will also be epic! I cant wait

Cheers Sam,

around a year ago my plan was to buy an A3 and turn it into another show stopper. Air ride, crazy retrim etc, but I've completely grown out of that, so hoping to put the same amount of effort into some carefully thought out OEM and subtle mods

3rd Gear

Status
    We think alike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast