Indy's 2.0TDI Progress Thread

Indy

Reaction score
Hey people. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and thought it's time I introduced myself!

My names Indy, I'm 22 years old and based in Leeds.

Whilst at University I was really into 'show cars' and used to attend a lot of VW shows each year. I've matured a lot since then and could no longer bear having a car which was impractical in every sense of the word, lowered to within inches off the ground etc etc.

I quickly lost interest in modifying to that extent which led me to buy my first Audi. A 2.0 TDI sport in Brilliant Black.

As I've already done the whole coilovers wound right down, stretched tyres thing, my aim for the Audi is to upgrade it using OEM parts and make subtle styling changes which won't cause the car to look overly modified. In other words I want the car to look as if it could have come direct from the factory with the changes I make.

I feel I've done enough talking, so I'll fire away with some pictures.

Here is my previous car, which I still have. Reason I still have this car is that it's currently in the process of being featured in a magazine. I'm not sure which one yet. The photoshoot is this Saturday which I'm excited about!

As you can see, it's not the ideal car to roll up to work in each day, suited and booted!

P.S. Excuse the dirty 'daily' mats

OverviewShot2.jpg

RearShot.jpg

SideProfile.jpg

InteriorOverview.jpg

FalseFloor.jpg

And here is my Audi! Sorry for the quality of these pics, I took them quickly using my iPhone.

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

I didn't waste much time before modifying. Within a couple of weeks I fitted a centre arm rest. I was surprised to find that the securing hole for the arm rest was already threaded, as I read somewhere on the forum that it was not pre-threaded and a nut would have to be used.

IMG_5179.jpg

Currently, the car is sat in the bodyshop having the following done.

Front 2005-2008 S-Line bumper with black S3 grill and gloss black Audi emblem.

Rear S-Line spoiler

Rear 2008-2011 Black Edition bumper and diffuser

Rear gloss black Audi emblem and deletion of 'A3' and '2.0 TDI'

Really excited to get it back, hopefully will be this week!

That's all for now, will update this thread with the cars progress!

Indy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paullie
Congrats on the new car and the polo looked tidy.
Looking forward to seeing new photos once you get it back.
Plans so far sound good :happy: Any plans for MY09/MY11 rears and lower?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car and the polo looked tidy.
Looking forward to seeing new photos once you get it back.
Plans so far sound good :happy: Any plans for MY09/MY11 rears and lower?

Cheers mate!

I'll definitely be getting MY11 rears, as for lowering most likely it will be 30mm Eibach springs or 35mm H&R springs. I'm looking for a tad lower than S-Line so I think those options will fit the bill. I had FK Highsport coilovers on the Polo, but really want a 'fit and forget' option on the Audi so I think the fixed height springs fit the bill perfectly! Looking to get the lights and lowering done after I've sorted wheels out, which will hopefully be in the next 4 weeks!

I was looking forward to getting the car back until I got an annoying call from the bodyshop. The rear bumper I gave them was for an A4, not an A3! I am annoyed at myself for making this mistake but more annoyed at the seller who listed it as an A3! They are so similar it's hard to tell in the pictures! Luckily I got it cheap so I could probably sell it on at a profit but now the hunt starts again for an A3 rear facelift bumper!

Welcome to the forum Indy. I'm loving the eurostyled polo. Your Audi should look good when out from the bodyshop, i'll look forward to seeing some pics of the transformation

Cheers mate!

I'll definitely be getting MY11 rears, as for lowering most likely it will be 30mm Eibach springs or 35mm H&R springs. I'm looking for a tad lower than S-Line so I think those options will fit the bill. I had FK Highsport coilovers on the Polo, but really want a 'fit and forget' option on the Audi so I think the fixed height springs fit the bill perfectly! Looking to get the lights and lowering done after I've sorted wheels out, which will hopefully be in the next 4 weeks!

I was looking forward to getting the car back until I got an annoying call from the bodyshop. The rear bumper I gave them was for an A4, not an A3! I am annoyed at myself for making this mistake but more annoyed at the seller who listed it as an A3! They are so similar it's hard to tell in the pictures! Luckily I got it cheap so I could probably sell it on at a profit but now the hunt starts again for an A3 rear facelift bumper!

Good man, MY11 update the rears so much with the new bumper. There a few guys running them and a thread about it with some good reviews. What wheels you thinking of getting?! Sorry to hear about the bumper nightmare but get it sold and get the correct one :) looking forward to the updates

Welcome to the forum Indy. I'm loving the eurostyled polo. Your Audi should look good when out from the bodyshop, i'll look forward to seeing some pics of the transformation

Thank you!

Really looking forward to it coming out when I manage to source the correct rear bumper.

Good man, MY11 update the rears so much with the new bumper. There a few guys running them and a thread about it with some good reviews. What wheels you thinking of getting?! Sorry to hear about the bumper nightmare but get it sold and get the correct one :) looking forward to the updates

Don't worry Ash I'm on the hunt for the new bumper! Hopefully I'll have one sorted tomorrow morning.

Wheels I'll be going for 18" BBS CK's in silver. I'm wanting to make the car quite stealthy, so ideally I'd get the anthracite ones but they're £300 more than the silvers, and not dark enough. So I'm planning on buying the silvers which I'll run for a couple of months before having them refurbed in a really dark anthracite.

Once the expensive wheels are sorted I can easily get the 'cheaper' bits and pieces like springs, MY11 rears and tints. I also need to get an exhaust system sorted because I've noticed that when the facelift/black edition rear end is fitted the existing tailpipes get buried into the bumper and almost become invisible.

:sign_welcome: hi Indy good luck with the new car. just so you know, we all love pic's :sign_pics: keep them coming

welcome to the fourm looking fatward to seeing your work on the a3

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I've managed to source the correct bumper. Didn't take long, should hopefully be here on Thursday! This ones also in black so less prep work required!

You move fast on the A3 upgrades.
Well done, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished job.

Nicely done on the Polo too.

You move fast on the A3 upgrades.
Well done, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished job.

Nicely done on the Polo too.

I'm on a little bit of a strict deadline for the bodywork to be completed as I'm starting a new job on Monday so wanted to get it all done before then.

Looking forward to taking some proper pictures once it's back!

Thank you!

Really looking forward to it coming out when I manage to source the correct rear bumper.

Don't worry Ash I'm on the hunt for the new bumper! Hopefully I'll have one sorted tomorrow morning.

Wheels I'll be going for 18" BBS CK's in silver. I'm wanting to make the car quite stealthy, so ideally I'd get the anthracite ones but they're £300 more than the silvers, and not dark enough. So I'm planning on buying the silvers which I'll run for a couple of months before having them refurbed in a really dark anthracite.

Once the expensive wheels are sorted I can easily get the 'cheaper' bits and pieces like springs, MY11 rears and tints. I also need to get an exhaust system sorted because I've noticed that when the facelift/black edition rear end is fitted the existing tailpipes get buried into the bumper and almost become invisible.

Just a thought on wheels - I went for the BBS VZs in Titanium\Graphite from wheelbasealloys.com - to me they look very much like the CK's but are a little more affordable (and therefore a little heavier I believe)

Buy 18 Inch BBS VZ Titanium Alloy Wheels | 18 inch Alloys | BBS Alloys

Thank you!

Glad to hear you got the rear bumper sorted fella. BBS CKs are a good choice had a set myself last year wish i kept them but only had them in 18s and always wanted them in 19s. Sounds like a better option getting the silver ones running them and then getting a refurb. Saving yourself some money and agree the anthracite is very light. Here a photo of mine. Paullie who has a 8P3 Yellow S3 got 18" BBS CK and had them done in a darker anthracite have a look at her build thread, should give you an idea on colour.

Yeah a few members either had a new back box or got new stainless steel exhaust tips off ebay or stoke audi i think and just fitted them. When you think you will get photos up? Forgot to say congratz on the feature on the polo, you still gonna keep hold of it or get rid? Will you and the A3 be at any of the shows this year?

6264673994_3d7cb7c79d_b.jpg

Just a thought on wheels - I went for the BBS VZs in Titanium\Graphite from wheelbasealloys.com - to me they look very much like the CK's but are a little more affordable (and therefore a little heavier I believe)

Buy 18 Inch BBS VZ Titanium Alloy Wheels | 18 inch Alloys | BBS Alloys

You mean CH's fella. The VZ's are the same style you get on the edition 30 GTI. Good choice in wheels and cant complain about the price either.

You mean CH's fella. The VZ's are the same style you get on the edition 30 GTI. Good choice in wheels and cant complain about the price either.

Yep, my bad!

Glad to hear you got the rear bumper sorted fella. BBS CKs are a good choice had a set myself last year wish i kept them but only had them in 18s and always wanted them in 19s. Sounds like a better option getting the silver ones running them and then getting a refurb. Saving yourself some money and agree the anthracite is very light. Here a photo of mine. Paullie who has a 8P3 Yellow S3 got 18" BBS CK and had them done in a darker anthracite have a look at her build thread, should give you an idea on colour.

Yeah a few members either had a new back box or got new stainless steel exhaust tips off ebay or stoke audi i think and just fitted them. When you think you will get photos up? Forgot to say congratz on the feature on the polo, you still gonna keep hold of it or get rid? Will you and the A3 be at any of the shows this

I too originally wanted 19's but then saw something about the 19's being more suitable for the S3. Also with me wanting to maintain comfort and practicality I thought it be best I stuck to the original 18" wheel with original tyre sizes. I have seen Paullie's S3 and the refurb she had done on her CKs is almost identical to how I'd want mine doing.

I'm in two minds about the exhaust, I'd like to get a non resonated cat back but I'm choosing between custom or milltek. More than likely I'll end up with a milltek just for a bit of extra chat on full throttle.

As for the Polo mate, that'll definitely be going as soon as my photoshoot is done. Having that car in my driveway is just a hindrance so I'm looking forward to getting rid and investing the return I get from it. I think if I attended any shows it would be an Audi specific one. I'm not into VWs anymore and not turned on by the sort of overly modified cars you see there. Audis in the Park could be a real possibility this year!

I am really not having any luck with rear bumpers :(

First I receive an A4 one which was listed as an A3. So I bought an actual A3 one, which looked mint, but is missing the inner fixings/support bar. Also part of the arch securing strip has come away and cannot be repaired.

The bodyshop are going to see what they can do with it, and may use the fixings from my original bumper, but they are bonded on to the bumper so it could be some work.

Either way, I'm pee'd off with stupid sellers selling half a product and mis-representing their bumpers!

I've used this bodyshop for all the work on my Polo, so they know I'll only settle for the perfect finish, so on Monday afternoon they're going to let me know if this bumper can be salvaged or if I need to buy yet another!

On the plus side the rest of the car is coming on okay, bit slower than I expected but hopefully will be done for next Tues/Wed.

Anyway, some pictures.

Looks mean with no bumper:

IMG_5489.jpg

Tailgate is being resprayed because it's been painted in the past to a poor standard (probably why the paint came off when I tried to de-badge it a few weeks ago).

IMG_5491.jpg

Dent on near side wing repaired:

IMG_5492.jpg

S-Line front bumper ready for priming and paint:

IMG_5494.jpg

Bit of an A3 party in the bodyshop. An 'actual' S-Line having a fair bit of work done:

IMG_5493.jpg

Last edited:
it'll be worth it in the end Indy! sorry to hear about your bad luck so far. were they from ebay? you should put in some major complaints with ebay if they were.

it'll be worth it in the end Indy! sorry to hear about your bad luck so far. were they from ebay? you should put in some major complaints with ebay if they were.

Thanks mate.

Both were from 'reputable' Top Rated Seller scrapyards on eBay. I had no problem with the spoiler, front bumper and the rest.

The rear bumper looks as if it has been ripped off the car with. They're a very good bodyshop so hopefully they can work something out.

I have contacted the sellers, but it is so much hassle to send the bumpers back so I am trying to get a bit of money refunded for their mistakes. Then I will just sell the bumpers privately, collection only.

As I'm in a bad mood at the moment I'm thinking of cheering myself up with pre-mature MY11 rears which I was going to leave until next month, but think it's best to wait until Monday when I'll find out if the bumper can be used or not.

Also a quick question,

how do I edit the title of this thread?

Want to rename it to Indy's Build Thread now that I've introduced myself.

Good luck with the car, looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Plans for the interior?????

And welcome to ASN!

Good luck with the car, looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

Plans for the interior?????

And welcome to ASN!

Thanks Warren :)

I've also got plans for the interior, but was wanting to complete the exterior first.

My plans include:

SG Styling leather retrim (same guys that did my Polo). Want it to look OEM so most likely black with a contrast stitch.
FBMFSW
Piano black inlays
S3 vents
Latest S-Line gear knob
Cruise control
MK2 RNSE with facelift console switches
LED interior light upgrade

I did want a facelift headlight switch, but because I'm so anal I decided against it because the knob wouldn't match the climate control knobs, so think the switches are going to remain as they are.

That's what I can think off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll find something else to do :)

Looks good mate. What body shop is that? I'm looking for a good one round West Yorkshire. Would you recommend it?

Looks good mate. What body shop is that? I'm looking for a good one round West Yorkshire. Would you recommend it?

Ta mate.

It's JR Autobodies in Harehills. Really large premises with a very good reputation. I'd recommend them to anyone. The work they did on my Polo was outstanding.

Noticed that there are quite a few West Yorkshire chaps on here!

Hi Indy, thread title changed as requested, cheers, W

Ta mate.

It's JR Autobodies in Harehills. Really large premises with a very good reputation. I'd recommend them to anyone. The work they did on my Polo was outstanding.

Noticed that there are quite a few West Yorkshire chaps on here!

Cheers mate, they good at colour matching then? I'll get in touch with them :)

You know my thoughts m8 :wub:

Any help with anything just ask!

Got a nice little package through the post today.

I first got this idea after seeing pictures of Sam's (shiggins92) exhaust system.

Originally I wanted to fit a full Milltek system at a cost of nearly £600. Realising that there aren't any real performance gains to be had in the cars current tuning state I then decided to have a cheaper full system custom built at Longlife. I then realised that even that could be a waste of money, so I've decided, for now, to have the backbox replaced with a straight through pipe with a tip of my choice welded on the end.

This needed to be done for two reasons. Firstly, the current exhaust will become hidden and look ridiculous once the facelift rear is on, and secondly I'd like a bit of sound when booting it. As this work will only be costing me around £70 in total it's relatively low risk, as opposed to spending hundreds on a Milltek and possibly not being entirely happy.

Here are a few pics of the tips. I love Milltek 'special' tips, so I went for the nearest thing I could find. They're 3" pipes, so the same size as the Milltek ones. These won't look too out of place but the right people will know that they are not standard, which is what I want :)

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

Will have them fitted the day after the car comes out of the bodyshop :)

Why didnt you just get an s line?

More cost effective not to and I'm not trying to make an S-Line replica. I only paid £6,600 for this car with FSH and 60k on the clock which at the time was a steal.

Quite a lot of people buy Sports and put the S-Line bumpers on.

If I did buy an S-Line, I'd still have to change the rear bumper, diffuser, front grill, rear lights, interior etc. The only bits I would have kept which aren't on the Sport is the front bumper, rear spoiler and black headlining. So it would barely have been of any benefit to buy an S-Line to begin with and the price differences between Sports and S-Lines at the time was too big :)

Last edited:
Thats fair enough mate.
I bought a sport instead of an s line purely because s lines do cost a good few thousand more.
I did plan to get an s line, but when my sport came up on auto trader is was too good to pass up (32k miles, fAsh, water pump and timing belt changed etc for £7900). The equivelant s line would have cost £2-3000 more.
Are you going to change the wheels? If theres one thing Im not crazy on about the sport, its the axe head wheels!

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get the exhaust tips from bud?

Thats fair enough mate.
I bought a sport instead of an s line purely because s lines do cost a good few thousand more.
I did plan to get an s line, but when my sport came up on auto trader is was too good to pass up (32k miles, fAsh, water pump and timing belt changed etc for £7900). The equivelant s line would have cost £2-3000 more.
Are you going to change the wheels? If theres one thing Im not crazy on about the sport, its the axe head wheels!

Sounds like you were in the same boat mate. The S-Line was just too much more to purchase. The wheels are being replaced with 18" BBS CK's in silver, which I'll then refurb in dark anthracite after running them for a few months.

From the effort put into your first car im guessing this will also be epic! I cant wait :wub:

From the effort put into your first car im guessing this will also be epic! I cant wait :wub:

Cheers Sam,

around a year ago my plan was to buy an A3 and turn it into another show stopper. Air ride, crazy retrim etc, but I've completely grown out of that, so hoping to put the same amount of effort into some carefully thought out OEM and subtle mods :)