What do you think of the new B-Class ?

Read an article in this weeks Auto-Express and it looks pretty good although the review did not rate it too highly, would have to see one in the flesh before I pass judgement, dash etc looks of good quality but would I choose it over the Sportback at which it is aimed - not on your nelly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not anti-Merc at all.. (Several years with a very nice E-class) but, whats the word I'm looking for.. um, yes thats it, YUCK!

I think you know where I'm going with this:

mercb.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not anti-Merc at all.. (Several years with a very nice E-class) but, whats the word I'm looking for.. um, yes thats it, YUCK!

I think you know where I'm going with this:

mercb.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, with that ford photoshop front end it looks even more like one of them horrid chrysler hearse jobbies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

If I was anygood with photo shop I'd stick a Pug badge on it! To me it looks like a tarted up 307 !

Isn't there a Seat that already looks a helluva lot like that ?
Altea or something ?

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there a Seat that already looks a helluva lot like that ?
Altea or something ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean a Focus C Max. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If I was anygood with photo shop I'd stick a Pug badge on it! To me it looks like a tarted up 307 !

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same way that an A3 is nothing more than a tarted up Skoda Octavia ! Come to think of it, an Octavia is more stylish than an A3, and just as well built !

I think the B-Class looks terrific, far better than the A3 'blandmobile' . Although admittedly, Merc build quality has been poor these last few years - especially with the C-Class. The latest A-Class is much better however.

It will be interesting to read the inevitable 3 -way shootout (1-series vs A3 vs B-Class) in the magazines over the next few months.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the B-Class looks terrific

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,if you like the pope-mobile and children stopping you for ice-cream. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In the same way that an A3 is nothing more than a tarted up Skoda Octavia ! Come to think of it, an Octavia is more stylish than an A3, and just as well built !

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, i could have sworn an uncanny resemblance between the Octavia and the A4.

Anyway, of course the mags will love the B class, just like they loved the 1 series. Something new, something different! Personally it makes me yawn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Have they done the 'elk test' in the B class yet ?

Screeeeech,crunch....

" help...."

[ QUOTE ]
Have they done the 'elk test' in the B class yet ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but apparently it failed the mole test, (rolled on impact).

Apparently they're having to bribe the Elks with more hay this time - They've wised up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, i could have sworn an uncanny resemblance between the Octavia and the A4.

Anyway, of course the mags will love the B class, just like they loved the 1 series. Something new, something different! Personally it makes me yawn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, that's what happens when you put your head in the sand

Still looks like a pug to me!

AS for the octavia nope can't see it looking like either my sportback or the 3 door A3.

I hope it does well, it will keep the pressure up on Audi to keep improving the build quality and technology.

As for magazines, yes having the motor for 3 weeks they'll love it.

But how many of them will go out and spend there hard earned cash on it ..... not many I bet!

And by the way arm the elk with machine guns it will do less damage to the merc !

[ QUOTE ]
AS for the octavia nope can't see it looking like either my sportback or the 3 door A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

- But they are mechanically identical.

I personally think that Audi have lost the plot with their cars. The build quality is good, but everything else is poor - ride, handling, refinement, etc - all bettered by rivals.

I'm currently on my 4th Audi - it will probably be my last.

[ QUOTE ]
everything else is poor - ride, handling, refinement, etc - all bettered by rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've yet to find a fwd car that handles better than my A3.
The refinement is also exceptional, the only thing that lets it down in my book is the tyre noise, but that could just be my tyres.

[ QUOTE ]
But they are mechanically identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

well go and buy one then. I'm a badge snob and are quite happy to pay a premium because of it.

Why don't you go and buy a smart (built by mercedes)

Well, it's my first A3, I tried Volvo, VW, 1BMW, a lexus and i'm more than delighted with the choice I made!

As for driving, well I'm not a 3.2 quattro petrol head, but I can make my little 2.0 lt sing a little even though, and it handles like a dream imho.

Each to their own I think.. I've had a Merc which was superb, but was an older car (only cost me £4.5k) which lasted ages, gave way more pleasure than its price would suggest, went well and looked good too.. but having had several newer ones as hire cars, and looking closely at my brothers 04 C270, I have no desire for another..

Have had older beemers too, (but nothing of particular note).
My current car choice came down to 320D vs A4.. The Beemer was perfectly competent, smooth and predictable, and just plain boring and bland.. despite being arguably a better/quicker ride than the Audi..

The Audi? 24000 miles in 9 months.. and I have grinned for every one of them.. its competent at everything thrown at it, cruising or blasting, is just plain fun, and looks great too.. yes its my first one, but it definately wont be my last!

And I think that 'B' class picture shows that if any manufacturer has lost the plot, its mercedes.. Used to be, you could say 'I drive a Mercedes' and it didnt matter what model, it still carried a certain social cahet.. Yes there are some desirable Mercs now, but the majority? 'Yes Dear, it does like a bit like your Honda/Mazda/Seat/Ford, and no it hasnt got all the toys you have, or the reliability and build quality, and it cost more, but Look! It has a mercedes badge!' (not going to fool anyone for long, is it..)

Nope. One of the most fun cars Ive ever owned was also one of the slowest ( a 1420cc Midas kit car) and was certainly the most uncomfortable!

Regardless of the competition, Audi ride and performance is still superb, so is the build quality, so are the residuals, and so is the fun.. Mercedes? keep em!

[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

Get thee down to thy Alfa dealer.

I'm not knocking the A3,by the way.
My A3 handles sooo much better than my A4 did that you wouldn't believe they're from the same stable.

It's still not a patch on an Alfa though.

My only gripe with Audi,compared with the competition,is the stingy standard kit and high purchase costs.

[ QUOTE ]

The Audi? 24000 miles in 9 months.. and I have grinned for every one of them.. its competent at everything thrown at it, cruising or blasting, is just plain fun, and looks great too.. yes its my first one, but it definately wont be my last!

[/ QUOTE ]

My A4 (130 tdi sport) is the most boring car I've ever owned,.
It was competent at everything,but good at little (apart from economy,which was exceptional,and reliability,which was faultless).
It gave no driving pleasure whatsoever.The steering was awful,the ride was awful and the brakes were dead.
I believe they've addressed all of these issues with the new one but,unfortunately,they've cocked up the looks IMO.

Looks like a cross between the Chrysler PT Cruiser and the new Astra.

If we're on the subject of what would tempt us away from our Audi's,then I cannot wait for this next year.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/03/03/003255.html

Provided the list price and CO2 figures fit in with my company car allowances,(whih I'm sure they will) I will be attempting to pass my A3 onto whichever colleague wants it.

Reasons are;

1/ Rear wheel drive
2/ 175 bhp as standard
3/ Mark Levinson stereo upgrade
4/ Not a BMW

Seen it's bigger brother already, looked stunning. It's what the 7 series should have been!

[ QUOTE ]
The refinement is also exceptional, the only thing that lets it down in my book is the tyre noise, but that could just be my tyres.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have looked very far ! Try the new Focus - it wipes the floor with the A3 for handling, ride and engine refinement. And, the build quality is only marginally worse too.

Audi purports to be a premium brand, but in the case of the A3, is really just selling mediocre Skoda clones with cosmetic changes.

[ QUOTE ]
You can't have looked very far ! Try the new Focus - it wipes the floor with the A3 for handling, ride and engine refinement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Focus has always,reportedly,been an excellent drivers car,as is the Mondeo.

However,who the feck wants to look out their window and see a Focus/Mondeo on their drive....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

It's the other way round - Skoda are selling VW/Audi clones. Skodas are made in the Czech Republic, Audis are made in Germany. The A3 platform was designed by Volkswagen for the new Golf.

I recently drove a Seat Leon (another clone) and whilst the performance and handling were very similar to the A3 the quality of the interior was not.

Depends what you want from a car.

Seat are 'supposed' to be the sporty wing of the VAG group.
They,allegedly,are given licence to set their cars up in a manner that VW or Audi customers 'wouldn't like'.
I haven't driven a Seat in years,so I can't say.
Last Seat I drove was a friend's Polo clone,when Seat were looked upon as a budget brand.

[ QUOTE ]
ou can't have looked very far ! Try the new Focus - it wipes the floor with the A3 for handling, ride and engine refinement. And, the build quality is only marginally worse too.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this talk of Skoda and Ford means one thing... YOUR TURNING INTO A MEAN OLD B4STARD... maybe it's time for the pipe and slippers old chap!

I hear Rovers are nice and cheap now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I hear Rovers are nice and cheap now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a Rover 220 Gti once...

It took me years of therapy to get over it...

I've never had to use my motorbike to get to work so much.

[ QUOTE ]
All this talk of Skoda and Ford means one thing... YOUR TURNING INTO A MEAN OLD B4STARD... maybe it's time for the pipe and slippers old chap!

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I am quite happy to pay for a better built car, with low depreciation, but I object to paying through the nose for tarted up rubbish cars, which give very poor driving experience.

The A4 is no better, being just a Passat / Skoda Superb clone, all of which are blown away by the new 3 series.

[quoteThe A4 is no better, being just a Passat / Skoda Superb clone, all of which are blown away by the new 3 series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blown away ?. Handling yes. in the dry, when your in the mood. In wet greasy conditions, snow or any other std. scottish road i'll take front wheel or quattro everytime. As a more fun car or track car then rear wheel drive yes.

Styling, BMW better !, your having a laugh aren't you. Build quality / interior plastics, BMW better, you really do need glasses.

Engines. BMW may have a slight advantage here depending on what you want.

Depreciation. Not a lot between the two marques, but BMW seem a little higher on initial purchase price.

So for that 10% of the time that you drive the car to it's limits the BMW wins. I'd rather spend my hard earned on a car that gives me the 90%. If I want the tail out fun i'll pay for a few track days.

A4_point2, you don't have any facts in your hands actually, do you? A4 isn't Passat or Skoda Superb clone, it's not even based on the same platform.

And what comes to Octavia being an A3, are you in need of new glasses? Being based on same platform doesn't mean it's mechanically identical, as it isn't. There's almost as much BMW in the A3 as there's Skoda in A3, sorry to say for your loss.

There's even different ABS systems in A3/Golf V/Octavia/Touran, different ESP systems (different manufacturer in Audi's and in Golfs), different shocks, and so on, and so on. No body panels are same, cars aren't even at the same length.

Or did you think Volkswagen Golf, Touran, Passat are the same car? They're all based on the same platform. Having the same platform doesn't mean they're the same car.

All I've seen lately is how you whine A3 being crap, crap, crap. And I wonder if you've even driven one. As for Focus, I know it's said to be wonderful to drive (the old one), personally I think it was pretty boring to drive, but maybe better shocks & springs would have helped.

As for new Focus, it's got.. wait, same type of steering as A3, or Touran. Electronical one, unless you drove some 1,6 model (that is, have you even driven one?). For the FWD car, I'd vote Mini. Wait, that's BMW, no, that's Toyota engine, next generation is PSA engine. So, it's Skoda.

At least read some facts before writing utter crap.

- Yak

This thread certainly seems to be bringing out some emotions!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif