Steering Rack Questions

nelson19uk

There's no poke without smoke!
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone knows much about the steering racks for S3/A3's. I've got a clunky steering rack and would like to replace it. I know the actual part number i need is 1K2423055KX but can will a 1K2423051CA, 1K2423051CN or a 1K2423051BC fit and work.

Thanks
Rob

I think that is a question only Audi can answer.

For such an important part it isn't really right for a forum member to suggest, or speculate, on such a decision.

No doubt if someone has actually had experience of those alternative part numbers then they will answer but judging by the lack of response I would suggest that no-one actually knows !

My friend is a vag master tech and he says it isn't dangerous and that i won't have any issues on operation but the clunk is doing my head in. Audi Aberdeen are absolute robbing bar stewards and don't help in any way or form unless you are giving them money. Might have to call those helpful peeps at stoke Audi for help.

Thanks anyway buddy.

I would expect those you have mentioned will fit however i beleive that the S3 rack has a lower ratio. eg one from a A3 will have more turns lock to lock. I changed my S3 one for a TT one and that has the same ratio. I think you may be able to use one from a TT, TTS, S3, R32, Cupra, Octavia etc.. of the relivant year.

This is the one I used NEW GENUINE AUDI TT MK2 8J STEERING RACK - 8J2 423 055 B | eBay

Nice one! Has it got the same wiring loom/connector. Sounds like a plan to me.

Cheers

What years your car? Fitted my 2007 no problems. I think 2009 onwards had different loom

What years your car? Fitted my 2007 no problems. I think 2009 onwards had different loom

Mine is a 2007 also. Looks like a better option. Quite difficult to find an S3 specific one. So looking for a tt one gives me more options.

Cheers
Rob

yeah i always check other vag models when looking for parts as the things for the S3 and other more expensive models command a higher premium.

I also changed the column on mine, prices for a new S3 one about 350. Got a new one for i think it was a polo, £70, exactly the same!!

:beerchug:

Last edited: