Can't inflate tyres

Oreo5000

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I feel really dumb for asking this but I just can't seem to get air into my tyres.
Im running Event WL905 XL's on my standard 18" S3 wheels.

I've tried three different service stations' air machines and none of them seem to make a seal or start sending air, it just sounds like it's letting it out. Tried on all four tyres and it's the same problem. Usually the machine just comes up with an error or a really low psi like 8 and stays there.

Any ideas?

The question you should really be asking is - why have an S3 and have Event tyres on it??

Falkens? :Flush: Fair do's tho if that's what you want to run. Can you press the centre of the valve down using a screwdriver or similar?
Incase they are stuck shut? Had it on my mountain bike before but never on a car. Are you running dust caps?

I chose them based on a thread on this forum where most people had said go with Falkens!
What are you running on your S3 mate?

Yeah I can press them down and air is released. Running caps, which I obviously removed first ;)

you need constant air flow from machine. most from garage forecourts don't do it constantly they blow then update value on machine, then blow again, but by that time air fanished, if they have flat tyre function that might work but doubt it. you need to use the more old fashioned typ where you squeeze it and has an analogue dial. easiest just to go to tyre shop.

If the pressure in the tyre is very low then the machine wont operate unless you press the Flat Tyre button which bursts air in constantly. Either that or the machine takes a while to update pressures on the little screen.

How low are we talking Graham?
I wouldnt have thought they would all be that low as they have only been on for a few months

simple but obvious questions are, are you doing it right?
you are using the correct nozzle on the valve arent you? and not using the upside down side one are you? and you are pressing on fully? and you have got the pressure set right? and you have put a coin in to start compressor? if yes to these i would check your valves to see if they are faulty at all! good luck

I chose them based on a thread on this forum where most people had said go with Falkens!
What are you running on your S3 mate?

Yeah I can press them down and air is released. Running caps, which I obviously removed first ;)

From what I have read they are good value but there is a difference between good and good value.
Had Michelin Pilot Exaltos on from the factory which were pretty good but changed to Pilot Sport 2s when they wore out.
PS2s definitely have the edge over any other tyre I have driven.
Had them on my re-mapped leon, both my Imprezas, my 2.0T and now the S3.
They are pricey tho and now hard to get.
I can see me trying Continental Sport Contact 5s when the supply of PS2s runs out.

With regard to your valves, if you have tried several different compressors then I'm at a loss.

simple but obvious questions are, are you doing it right?
you are using the correct nozzle on the valve arent you? and not using the upside down side one are you? and you are pressing on fully? and you have got the pressure set right? and you have put a coin in to start compressor? if yes to these i would check your valves to see if they are faulty at all! good luck

Well there is only one nozzle and im not sure how you could get it on any other way.
And yes, pressing pretty hard, coin in, correct pressures set.. still no joy

I guess I'll have to head over to a tyre place and see what's up

From what I have read they are good value but there is a difference between good and good value.
Had Michelin Pilot Exaltos on from the factory which were pretty good but changed to Pilot Sport 2s when they wore out.
PS2s definitely have the edge over any other tyre I have driven.
Had them on my re-mapped leon, both my Imprezas, my 2.0T and now the S3.
They are pricey tho and now hard to get.
I can see me trying Continental Sport Contact 5s when the supply of PS2s runs out.

With regard to your valves, if you have tried several different compressors then I'm at a loss.

Yeah, they seem to be the best price/performance tyre but I appreciate they aren't quite in the same category as PS2's etc.
Would you not go PS3 next?
Any experience with Eagle F1's? They seem to keep winning best tyre awards.

So I just dropped by kwik fit and they pumped them up no problem.
Although when I gave them the tyre pressures from the fuel cap (3 people, light luggage = 39/30) he said that seemed really high, but that's the lowest load pressures listed! I did a search online with my reg and it's claiming 29/31!?
Any ideas what they should actually be?
They are 225/40/W18 on the standard S3 rims.

What pressures are you guys running?

i always wack 30psi in for general light loads and day to day driving and if a long run is on the cards i.e a fishing trip with lots of load, i will adjust accordingly!
so in general mostly always 30psi on 225/40/18

Generally you need high PSI where there is a lot of weight.. Audi S3 = front of car, my MR2 turbo is the opposite with 28 psi front and 33/34 rears depending on how you want it to handle..

Funny that "qwak fecks" found you manufactures settings "funny", that's one of the many reasons I would never use them....

Hmmmm...... Kwik Fit operator opinion or Audi's own instruction based on extensive testing ............... tough choice! :think:

Yeah... obviously I went with Audi's pressures, I just thought a 9 psi difference seemed pretty steep

To be honest I thought the same thing when I bought the car. Both the massive difference in pressures between front and rear, and the fact that they wanted 39 Psi in the front, I'd never had a pressure that high before.

That being said, I figured they knew best and put the pressures to what was reccomended, seemed fine. I then put winter tyres on in Nov, pressures for those are 38/42. I understand the need for increased pressure when using winter tyres, but don't understand why the gap has reduced from 9psi between front and rear to 4psi. Again, they no doubt know best. The test will be when I have them removed in march, then I can check the wear before storing them for the summer and see how these pressures have affected the tyres.

It could be the lip on the valve sits high. IE the part with the thread is is shorter. This stops the end of the inflator sitting on far enough to make a seal. I had an RS4 in and due to this I couldnt get either the forecourt or the workshop tyre gauge on.

Thanks for the input guys.

So are most of you with the standard 18"'s running 39/30?