Why haven't I got a dong when it's cold?

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
From the instrument cluster I mean :whistle2:.
I was under the impression that when the snowflake symbol appeared (at 5 degrees I think) there should be an audible 'dong' to warn of potentially icy roads, like I had in my old Golf.

After a bit of searching people suggested that it only happens when you're driving and the temperature drops down to 5 degrees, not when you start the car and the temperature is already below 5.
But today I left work on 7 degrees and when the sleet started it dropped all the way down to 2. The snowflake symbol came on, but there wasn't a sound.

Is mine faulty, or is it something that's just not there?

Mine's an '07 Sport with the last of the red DIS's. It's got loads of menu's and options, including digital speed display and such, so I thought it would have an ice warning noise.

no dong on my 09 plate S3. just a pretty snow flake. so your not alone... can't say it's really bothered me but each to their own

"Do women know about 'shrinkage'?" - Jerry Seinfeld

My 8L did a bong, my 8P doesn't. Probably something in the coding somewhere that you can get activated if you want, like the chirp when you lock/unlock.

I'll get my laptop out and see if I can get my dong to appear :sly:

Reactions: WALTO TDI
your sort of right!
you get the dong when driving and it drops to 5c and below!
it does on my a4 anywho!
but no dong if its already below 5 etc!

I noticed when I swapped to a white led cluster that its not as loud as before. It definitely doesn't do it when you switch car on as I've just been out in it and its -1. Mind you, I'd quite like a bong when the ESP is working as you usually can't see the light because of the steering wheel angle :p

I don't have a dong when it's cold, should I be worried and see the doc? Ha.

My 61plate doesn't bong, just shows the snowflake.