High MPG - Can it be believed?!

bug

Reaction score
Hows this for miles per gallon..?!

1ba6a708.jpg

Not bad for my 2003, 2.0 tdi. I admit it was an hours journey at 50 mph, but I've never seen anything like this before!

U write that on with a pen?? Lol. I had a chipped 335d M Sport that did 53mpg. 360 HP with 640 Nm torque AND 50+ mpg (taking easy of course). The A4 2.0 TFSI quattro is not quite so frugal!!!

i get 53mpg cruising at 60mph for 45mins in my a3 tdi quattro,car needs the injectors repairing though soim hoping it will go up once iv done that on monday

Could be because you're running it on vapour:)

I get 56 mpg (5L/100kms) on long runs on the motorway at a steady 110 kms/hr. Slightly less
if the climate control is on, on a hot day. Your reading does look a bit suspicious.

I've had mine reading 70ish before but that was after resetting it whilst moving and almost coasting on a flat road lol

I think best idea has to go to a3tdi2001 haha! I'm amazed, i got 58.2 on the way there which I thought was amazing.. So reset it to double check on the way back home and got the above!

The aircon was off, but other than that it hasn't been drawn on or anything!

Out of interest, my power steering has failed this evening (garage should hopefully be sorting it).. this wouldn't have any effect on the mpg would it?

I average around 45-50mpg doing like 5 mile journeys in mine. I never floor my car anymore haha... Saves so much money!

CorrDogg58, did you find your remap helped the mpg? I think I'm going to drive everywhere at 55mph now aha!

I had my last a3 fitted with a diesel power tuning chip and was getting around 62-68MPG on motorway journeys. I posted the picture on here about a year or so back.

I have achieved similar driving on a hot summers day, SUPER careful on the throttle and rolling in gear etc, but REALLY trying! I can quite easily hit 60MPG on a gentle drive at about 40-50MPH steady.

Think I'm getting old!

This is the best Ive had, that was on a return trip from York to Peterborough on the A1 at 60-70mph. I have a 2.0 TDI 140.

imag0233tf.jpg

imag0230sk.jpg

Golf PD150, remapped to 200bhp, 30 mile journey, few miles in town and 60 mph motorway the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 60mpg on the M25 today during the average speed cameras though i reckon i could have got it upto 65 as it was still rising, but i planted my foot to the floor :(

I had my last a3 fitted with a diesel power tuning chip and was getting around 62-68MPG on motorway journeys. I posted the picture on here about a year or so back.
I was thinking of doing the same to try and up my mpg, need to make the diesel go as far as it can after the news today the difference between the cost of petrol and diesel is at the biggest difference its ever been!

I have achieved similar driving on a hot summers day, SUPER careful on the throttle and rolling in gear etc, but REALLY trying! I can quite easily hit 60MPG on a gentle drive at about 40-50MPH steady. Think I'm getting old!
I wasn't too carful on the way there, but on the way back I must admit I was less right foot heavy as I would normally be! You're telling me, I'm 19.. Definitely wasn't paying attention to the heavy bass ahah

This is the best Ive had, that was on a return trip from York to Peterborough on the A1 at 60-70mph. I have a 2.0 TDI 140.

imag0233tf.jpg

imag0230sk.jpg

Ah thats very respectable! Specially at not a silly speed like I was going (55 on a dual carriage way at points aha). Also, you have a far better camera than I've got!!

Golf PD150, remapped to 200bhp, 30 mile journey, few miles in town and 60 mph motorway the rest.

Guess thats not a standard journey though _a3sport? Although for a mix of town and motorway thats really good! Is that because its been remapped you're getting the higher mpg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess thats not a standard journey though _a3sport? Although for a mix of town and motorway thats really good! Is that because its been remapped you're getting the higher mpg?

Its my standard drive home from work but was later in the evening and just decided to drive slow and see what I could get. Average economy increased around 2/3mpg with the map. Remapped Tdi's are like two cars in one, eco/fast on demand :sm4:

I'm on the lookout for a A3 Sport currently.

PS I never noticed the temp on you post, the Golf is a little thirstier in the cold!! Not sure if thats the map or the 150 engine in general.

Its my standard drive home from work but was later in the evening and just decided to drive slow and see what I could get. Average economy increased around 2/3mpg with the map. Remapped Tdi's are like two cars in one, eco/fast on demand :sm4:

I'm on the lookout for a A3 Sport currently.

PS I never noticed the temp on you post, the Golf is a little thirstier in the cold!! Not sure if thats the map or the 150 engine in general.

Blimey thats not bad at all! Really helping my argument for getting the car remapped haha! Much like you by the sounds of it, I tend to run around the place at 80mph, but slowing it back and going at 65ish is still an enjoyable drive.. Just in a different way.

I wondered if that made a difference, apparently its better to refuel at night when its cold because the fuel is denser..? And because its measure on volume not density you get more for your money? Maybe it being cold made the fuel go further, who knows! :)