RS4 Style Engine Start Button for S3/A3 8P3 Alternative

rikbbb

Reaction score
First of all a massive thanks to Audi Retrofit as they inspired this little project and it was there instructions that I used to get this working.

The only problem with their solution is that it cost well over £100 to complete as it used all original Audi parts. This made it too expensive for me given that it's just a little gimmick and really not required, That said it does put a little smile on my face every time I use it. My solution requires nothing more that a switch which cost £17.20 and a small length of speaker cable. It took about 2 hours to complete and was fairly easy. The button I used fits perfectly in the original cigarette lighter hole although I had to slightly adapt the buttons retaining nut to get to fit in the housing. I have also moved the lighter in the space next to the Aux socket.

For a step by step guide;

Audi Retrofit

The switch I used;

Buy Push Button Switches Switch,PB,vandal res,32mm,flush,SPCO Bulgin MP0050 online from RS for next day delivery.

Reactions: Mr_Dude
This was my original mod tbh which I advised Marc how to install, I had the RS4 starter left over from my S4 I was going to install into, but sold the car, hence fitted to my A3, glad to see its still being used.

Just been reading your step by step guide of retro fit button start - awesome is all I can say.......... Love it !!

That's why this forum is such quality !! :applaus:

It was a good idea. I'd love it OEM but just can't justify the price.

First of all a massive thanks to Audi Retrofit as they inspired this little project and it was there instructions that I used to get this working.

The only problem with their solution is that it cost well over £100 to complete as it used all original Audi parts. This made it too expensive for me given that it's just a little gimmick and really not required, That said it does put a little smile on my face every time I use it. My solution requires nothing more that a switch which cost £17.20 and a small length of speaker cable. It took about 2 hours to complete and was fairly easy. The button I used fits perfectly in the original cigarette lighter hole although I had to slightly adapt the buttons retaining nut to get to fit in the housing. I have also moved the lighter in the space next to the Aux socket.

For a step by step guide;

Audi Retrofit

The switch I used;

Buy Push Button Switches Switch,PB,vandal res,32mm,flush,SPCO Bulgin MP0050 online from RS for next day delivery.

I suppose you still have to have the key in the ignition to start the car. Right ?

You still need the key to turn on the ignition and turn off the immobiliser.