When to change Tyres ?

I

imported_Spin140

Bought my car used from a Dealer with 10,000 on the clock (now covered 12K), didnt notice straight away as the fronts are ok @ 6mm but they have done a 'back to front' on the tyres as the rears are now down to 3mm, I know the legal req' is 1.6mm but when do you Guys normally change ?

I'm going to replace the factory fitted Dunlops with some sticky GSD III when required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bought my car used from a Dealer with 10,000 on the clock (now covered 12K), didnt notice straight away as the fronts are ok @ 6mm but they have done a 'back to front' on the tyres as the rears are now down to 3mm, I know the legal req' is 1.6mm but when do you Guys normally change ?

I'm going to replace the factory fitted Dunlops with some sticky GSD III when required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2 - 2.5mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

That was one of my biggest gripes with full maintenance on my last company car.
They always waited until the tyres were on the absolute minimum limit before they would allow a change.

I insisted I came off full maintenance with my A3.

I usually change them way before the legal minimum,usually when they're starting to get close-ish to the wear bars.

Cheers Guys, will look at changing them within the next 1,000 miles..

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers Guys, will look at changing them within the next 1,000 miles..

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunlops must be softer than the conti's then !

I should add that,if it were me paying for the tyres (rather than the company),I'd be running them until wires were poking through the carcass and then I'd be replacing them with 'Stunner' remoulds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Spin,
Try Jeff Fowkes Wheels at Ibstock for your tyres. I have always found his prices very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
01530 263111
Did I see your car in Donisthorpe on Weds night ?

[ QUOTE ]
I should add that,if it were me paying for the tyres (rather than the company),I'd be running them until wires were poking through the carcass and then I'd be replacing them with 'Stunner' remoulds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

lol!

I replace when at the legal limit (wear bars).

Sadly, surprisingly, my front Conti SC2s 225/45/17 91Y are DEAD, at only 7000km, or 4700 miles.

Definitely testimony to my very, very bad driving.

Bizarre thing is, the inside shoulders of the front tires are more worn than the outside?!? There doesn't seem to be any negative camber dialed into the front suspension, so I must have slight toe-out?

Getting two new SC2s next week, at a fitted cost of 185 Euros each (approx 120pounds).

4700 miles! RESPECT!!! I managed 17,000 miles on my first set, and a fellow motorway muncher at work managed....32,000 miles! Obviously these were rock hard eco warrior tyres, but 4,700 is proper bo.
Expect your new set to last 2 days at the ring... (hoping to get towbar fitted next weekend so may well be seeing you there!)

On my 3dr-SE I have 205/55 R 16 Dunlop Sport 01 tyres. These were the original factory fit tyres. So far I have done 12k miles and have 4mm left on the fronts and 6mm on the rears. I normally change when they reach 2mm. I have been quoted £105 for a new tyre of the same type fitted to a steel wheel to use as a spare when I drive to Austria in June. Don't fancy the idea of drive across France and Germany on a Sunday with only a space-saver as backup.

Jungle, pm has been sent ;-)

David, that's a nice move... Wish there was a tidy way of soting a full-size spare in the boot?

When you can see the canvas and there are little spikey metal beads sticking out everywhere....

Seriously tho - I agree with most, 3mm is IMO when they really start to let go.

JaminBen - Yes I agree. My previous A3 1.8Ts had a full size spare in the boot. I shall have to do the same as when I did a similar run in my VR6. Put the tyre and wheel in a plastic bin bag behind the passenger's seat for the journey there and back. When I'm actual in Austria and the luggage ins in the hotel, then the spare can be in the boot.

[ QUOTE ]
Spin,
Try Jeff Fowkes Wheels at Ibstock for your tyres. I have always found his prices very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
01530 263111
Did I see your car in Donisthorpe on Weds night ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that would be me, I spotted the forum sticker in the back of yours previously when walking the dog - very nice sounding 3.2 you have there.

I was planning on trying Fowkes have used him before and he will usually price match, best price so far £110 per corner, thanks for the advice:)

Changed the 2 rears yesterday for Goodyear Eagle GSD3, 225x 45x17 'Y' rated for £109 each fitted, quite pleased with the price and I do like that tread pattern, sad I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JaminBen...

The inside edges on mine are wearing too. I've a 2WD and it does have a lot of neg camber as the lock increases.

More than 1/2 turn of lock seems to give noticeable neg camber on the outside wheel (the inside wheel has even more positive camber, so much so when parked up on full lock i though the strut was broken!

Buying new tyres for the front (or changing back to fronts), will this not affect the diff on 4 wheel drives?

shouldnt do tbh, it uses a clutching system so the wheels are rarely being driven with the same amount of torque.

Feel free to prove me wrong though someone! haha

[ QUOTE ]
Buying new tyres for the front (or changing back to fronts), will this not affect the diff on 4 wheel drives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the angle of slip required for the Haldex system to recognise loss of traction at the front and so engage transmitting drive to the rear is around 45 deg ( 1/8th of circumference - 12 1/2%) whereas even running fully worn fronts and brand new rears gives you less than a 3% difference in circumference.

So cant see it being a problem.

[ QUOTE ]
I've a 2WD and it does have a lot of neg camber as the lock increases

[/ QUOTE ]

So very true!

The A3 does have quite a bit of caster (how much, I don't know), but that's why we're getting negative camber gain with steering lock.

Seems strange that you would have different camber gain left / right?