New wheels...Strange noise

MTRL

Split Grill!
Reaction score
I am a complete novice when it comes to tyres/wheels so i would like ASN's oppinion before I take any action tomorrow.

Earlier today I swapped my old stock 17's for some 18" Rs4 with 225/40/18s

have just been out for a test drive and there is what i can only describe as a lub-lub-lub-lub-lub-lub-lub noise coming from one of the rears.

not very noticable untill up to about 40mph and then its just louder than the road noise of the tyres

All tyres are inflated upto 35psi

They have come straingt of a golf and have ballancing weights on already so would they need re-ballancing???

1 tyre is good condition, 3 tyres are not great but still 50k in them.

So...just ballancing????

Thanks.

Very sight kerbing, what you would expect from 2nd hand.

Not that it helps but people always ask for pics so here is a snap i took earlier

DSC02298.jpg

hmmm small kerning may make a small difference get the balancing done or checked out just for peace of mind i suppose , it will also show up if they are buckled too (worst case)

Guy up the road says ballancing at £12 per wheel, is this the going rate.

Think ill just get the rears done as i think the noise is from one of them, then if still there ill get the front done aswell.

everywhere is different mate everyone has different prices , could even be the tyre if its not the balancing but again when they balance them it will show up if they are not fully round , a few things it could be one of them i would have thought good luck finding the problem really annoying when there is something like that

Cheers fran, hope it isnt buckled. But to be fair i ony paid £250 so problems were half expected....ill get me wallet!

could be uneven tread block wear on the tyre, that happened on my golf with bridgestones

If the noise was not there on your previous wheels I'd say it's tyre noise or a dodgy wheel, if you get the rear wheels balanced when they spin the wheel on their machine you'll see if it's bent or not.

No way! :( That's harsh matey, I'd be getting on to the guy who sold you them. You may have got them cheap enough, but did he mention one was buckled??? Not sure there is anything you can do TBH, as he might say you must have damaged the wheel since putting it on your car. I could never do that to someone, but hey not everyone is honest and above board. You should at least try and make him feel bad about selling you a buckled wheel. :( xx

Na he never mentioned, he must have known though. There are some people selling single RS4s on ebay, around £100.

Whats the deal with RS4 reps? Can you notice the difference between that and OEM?
Can you rock 3 OEM and a rep or is there a weight difference?

The guy at the garage said I can still drive like this but will just be annoying and ware the tyre quickly.

So annoying, would have liked to spend this money on tyres or getting front lip fitted.

Ah well, slowly getting there.......2steps forward, 1 step back.

take it it's too damaged to be rolled?

Is that some kind of repair?

He showed me what was wrong with it, he span the wheel round and you could see it jump a bit when ever it went past a certain point.

It doesnt affect driving which is strange, no wobble, no veering, just a noise.

yeah my mates mondeo ST had a buckled wheel, took it to an alloy wheel repairer and had it rolled/trued for 50 bucks

Good idea thanks, I will have a ring around.

Contemplating one off ebay for £90.