Peeling lacquer on alloys

lilya

Reaction score
Website
www.transmittersrus.com
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Have been looking around for the past hour or so - exceelent forum. Will be a regular from now on.

I've got a year old A3 2.0 FSI Sport - it's a great car, much more refined than my old 306 XSI. However, I've got a problem with one of my alloys.

I other day I was hosing down my alloys (with a hose pipe not a jet washer) before washing them, and loads of lacquer flakes fell off one of the alloys. At least I think it was lacquer - not 100% sure as they were silver coloured and I thought lacquer would be clear?

Anyhow, where the flakes have come away, I'm now left with a step / line with is really unsightly.

I don't know what to do for the best. Do I let the rest of the lacquer flake off over the next couple of washes (the paint left behind looks as good as before), or could this damage them long term? Is this my problem or would it get sorted on warranty?

Thanks for your help.

Kev, do you reckon they'll replace it or repair it?

What do you reckon has caused it? I've never used those acidic alloy cleaning fluids on them. I reckon it might have been oversprayed when it was manufactured.

No idea what they'll do mate, but for sure, it's not your problem!

Whatever they do or say they'll do... just make sure when you go to pick the car back up that they have not just swapped it for the spare alloy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kev.

They "should" replace it under warrenty! Peeling Lacquer is a major problem on the golf anni's and after a bit of a struggle dealers have been replacing these.

J.

Can i ask, did you buy it second hand? They tend to refurbish the wheels before selling again and depending on the body shop they use, the lacquer never seems to last! I would ask your dealer and then they should refurbish them again or if you complain a bit more they might even replace them!

You must be clairvoyant, it was a six month old ex-demonstrator when I bought it.

Interesting. You reckon they would refurbish a six month old car's alloys do you?. I hadn't thought of that.

Has this happened to you?

I work for my local Audi dealership as a driver driving the demonstrators all day and believe you me, some customers love to kerb the alloys as much as they can!! It's crazy to think they just refurbish them which is why they never seem to last especially after the winter salt sets in....

Another clue do the wheels actually look a different colour if you stand back and compare? Thats always a good way to confirm as refurbished wheels never look as good as they should. I have all the juicy details ask me anything!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well i could tell you lots but every dealership is different! I do know Audi UK has the final say and unless its a recall problem, they don't like to make a fuss and have to spend much money if you know what i mean! I will add almost every demonstrator spends a few days down the bodyshop before they go back in the showroom and 9 times out of 10 they do an excellent job but i guess you can't win 'em all!

Admar, just out of interest but which type of alloy was it? Standard sport, 5 star, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif