Chris NottJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ads

Thread: To Chip or not to Chip?!

  1. #1
    OVRA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,079

    Smile To Chip or not to Chip?!

    Hi all,

    I am very new here and certainly by no means a techie, so forgive me for my ignorance!

    I have a 05 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-Line and am considering a remap or a chip? Firstly whats the difference? Whats better and what can I expect from a tune?

    As I said apologies if I sound stupid but thought that I might get more truthful answers here than perhaps being sold to by a tuning company.

    Cheers

    James

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    RedDejavu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    1,479
    wrong question on wrong forum haha:]. Besides obvious answer both yes:]
    Be patient. English is tough.

    Now:

    61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /


  4. #3
    Dannykn9's Avatar
    "Cruise My Ride"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    1,108
    Welcome to the site fella.

    I am no expert at tuning either, but basically, chipping your car is exactly that, a chip is added to give more power etc. IIRC the chip tricks your car into thinking that there is cold air flow therefor giving more power. Have you ever noticed that on cold mornings when first firing up the car seems more powerful.

    Now a remap is when your engine ecu is reprogrammed to give more more torque, more power and also giving more bhp, and possibly more MPG!

    A chip is a cheaper option and many hear are against it. Majority go for a remap as it is a more proffesional job and more reliable hence it being more expensive.

    There are plenty of good mapping company's around and plenty that sponsor this site that would be more than happy to meet your needs.

    Hope this helps, I am sure the experts will be along soon to help and advise.

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,628
    I don't think you 'chip' cars nowadays, everything is controlled electronically via the ECU, cars are tuned up by remapping which is done 99% of the time via the OBD port i think.

    When you first have your car remapped its brilliant, you'll soon get used to the power though. Remember when remapping you are putting extra strain on the engine and clutch/gearbox etc so have some brass set a side for possible repairs that you may need to do in the future or failing that, get a decent third party warranty.
    Last edited by AidenUK; 19th January 2012 at 09:48.
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    Hi all,

    I am very new here and certainly by no means a techie, so forgive me for my ignorance!

    I have a 05 2.0 TFSI Quattro S-Line and am considering a remap or a chip? Firstly whats the difference? Whats better and what can I expect from a tune?

    As I said apologies if I sound stupid but thought that I might get more truthful answers here than perhaps being sold to by a tuning company.

    Cheers

    James
    Hi mate, I have the same car and am considering a remap also. I think I will take it to Revo as it has been recommended by others however it will put strain on your clutch so bear that in mind. A good discussion about remaps - 2.0 TFSI REVO or Superchips Bluefin??
    2005 A3 2.0T Quattro Sportback

  7. #6
    Dannykn9's Avatar
    "Cruise My Ride"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    1,108
    Depending on how you drive, then a stage 1 map should not put much strain on your clutch if you do normal sensoble driving. However if you decide you want more and decide for a stage 2, then you are looking at new clutch, exhaust system breaks etc.

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Depending on how you drive, then a stage 1 map should not put much strain on your clutch if you do normal sensoble driving. However if you decide you want more and decide for a stage 2, then you are looking at new clutch, exhaust system breaks etc.
    It's the extra torque that can ruin the clutch, all the cars i have remapped have been TDI's/CDTI (on the SRI 150), the torque is much higher on these so maybe you are right on the petrol models it may not be that much of an issue, that said it's something to bear in mind because if you pay £300 for a remap and then you need another £1000 to fix the broken clutch and DMF, you've paid £1300 in total for the privilege of being able to drive slightly quicker.
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

  9. #8
    OVRA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,079
    Thanks guys for the response.. Sounds like the remap could be the way forward!! I first thought of it after having a Megane 225 glued to my bumper the other night, enough to make anyone think of a power upgrade!! There is a local place near me Clive Atherton (Norwich) that will do a before and after on their rolling road appartently. So I'll give them a bell.

  10. #9
    RedDejavu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by cwitcombe View Post
    Hi mate, I have the same car and am considering a remap also. I think I will take it to Revo as it has been recommended by others however it will put strain on your clutch so bear that in mind. A good discussion about remaps - 2.0 TFSI REVO or Superchips Bluefin??
    Why Bluefin :/. There are poor.... and not aggresive at all
    Be patient. English is tough.

    Now:

    61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /


  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    Why Bluefin :/. There are poor.... and not aggresive at all
    Hence why I am leaning towards the Revo.... although the link I posted have quite a few bluefin lovers.
    2005 A3 2.0T Quattro Sportback

  12. #11
    OVRA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,079
    Just spoke to the guy who does a Revo Remap and he is talking £499 for it? Expensive or about right?

  13. #12
    RedDejavu's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    Just spoke to the guy who does a Revo Remap and he is talking £499 for it? Expensive or about right?
    Sounds ok! Lmao at my spelling sometimes. Hope most undestand:]
    Be patient. English is tough.

    Now:

    61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /


  14. #13
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by cwitcombe View Post
    Hence why I am leaning towards the Revo.... although the link I posted have quite a few bluefin lovers.
    I can't comment on REVO etc but I can on Bluefin, because my 2.0 TFSI has it.

    Not meaning to sound off, but anybody who makes a sweeping statement that bluefin is poor and not aggressive at all is just misleading people.
    Take it from me, the difference in my car since the bluefin is very noticeable.

    I don't know how well bluefin suits S3s, and TDIs... but for the 2.0T I'm just lost how anyone can say its poor.

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    Why Bluefin :/. There are poor.... and not aggresive at all
    I also have a superchips Blufin remap and the difference is great. Lots more torque and nice smoth power delivery. I would recomend bluefin . plus its east to install at home and cheaper than Revo. Im not saying revo are not better or worse, just that my bluefin puts a silly grin on my face
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S line DSG SB BLUEFIN


  16. #15
    OVRA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,079
    I was looking at the bluefin with some interest but just saw a post about warning lights coming on and ECU problems so was a little put off. But I suppose it obviously doesnt happen in all cases but the bluefin power increase seems the same as a proffesional remap from what I can see?? Although I am no expert

  17. #16
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,375
    Revo is a slightly different approach to Bluefin as one could be seen as bespoke to the others more off the shelf approach.

    It depends on what you want....I chose Revo as I wanted the flexibility and the upgrade path to pretty serious bhp but I can see nothing against Bluefin if you don't need or want that.

  18. #17
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Any cars can suffer issues as a result of a remap as it can accentuate pre-existing issues.

    People wrongly assume the code is the issue when it is in 99% of conditions just exacerbating problems.

    If you want to remap your car you want to keep it well serviced, maintained and have access to a good independent dealer to call on as Audi struggle to diagnose faults before you adjust the mapping tables!

    I've been in Revo, MTM and Bluefin cars. Revo's feels fastest, Bluefin feels quick but in an OEM kind of way, MTM feels a tiny bit more urgent that Bluefin, but that said there isn't night and day between them, it just depends on how you like your car to feel and what equipment you prefer (Revo allows personal map tweaking in safe parameters / bluefin offers load on load off / MTM is just code).

    There is also Shark, APR and GIAC to consider from the mainstream. I'd avoid anything ridiculously cheap as support and effort invested is likely to be low.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  19. #18
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    I was looking at the bluefin with some interest but just saw a post about warning lights coming on and ECU problems so was a little put off. But I suppose it obviously doesnt happen in all cases but the bluefin power increase seems the same as a proffesional remap from what I can see?? Although I am no expert
    Yeah that's Farhan's 1.8TFSI that is having problems. He's not really sure what the problem is yet or what caused it, but he's gonna keep us updated on what he finds.

    And yep, the figures quoted by all stage 1 remaps are pretty much the same. But these all have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

    Speaking of farhan's 1.8 TFSI again... his is 160bhp stock, but since his bluefin we had a little run out against each other and he also took me for a spin in his car, and it is definitely as quick, probably quicker, than my 2.0T was as standard with its 200bhp.

    I think what I like most about the bluefin is that the car feels totally standard when driving normally, but when you want to push on it really responds well.

    My advice, try the bluefin, and if you're not impressed then you've got 7 days to get a full refund, no questions asked.
    You could also get a REVO trial too and compare the two for yourself.

  20. #19
    OVRA3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    Any cars can suffer issues as a result of a remap as it can accentuate pre-existing issues.

    People wrongly assume the code is the issue when it is in 99% of conditions just exacerbating problems.

    If you want to remap your car you want to keep it well serviced, maintained and have access to a good independent dealer to call on as Audi struggle to diagnose faults before you adjust the mapping tables!

    I've been in Revo, MTM and Bluefin cars. Revo's feels fastest, Bluefin feels quick but in an OEM kind of way, MTM feels a tiny bit more urgent that Bluefin, but that said there isn't night and day between them, it just depends on how you like your car to feel and what equipment you prefer (Revo allows personal map tweaking in safe parameters / bluefin offers load on load off / MTM is just code).

    There is also Shark, APR and GIAC to consider from the mainstream. I'd avoid anything ridiculously cheap as support and effort invested is likely to be low.
    Thanks Warren, good advice there this is exactly what I was after people with genuine experience of different products, rather than opinion of whoever is doing the map.

    I think I might wait as a my service is nearly due. I am friends with a mechanic so get him to do it and have a good look at the car. Once he has given me the thumbs up, I'll make my choice. I like the idea of the Revo because although pricey you have the support and the guy who I'd get to do it is just down the road from me.

  21. #20
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    Bluefin feels quick but in an OEM kind of way
    ^^^This I agree with.

    After the bluefin my car's power delivery feels the same as it did in stock form, but there's just more of it.
    I get the same surge in the same places as I used to, but now they're just bigger.

  22. #21
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Only issue with Revo trial is it only lasts a few hours and car won't adapt quickly enough to give you proper benefit. As many people won't have run 98 octane before a remap this makes things worse!

    Also as its quick load it's not the full on code. It was originally designed years ago for when very few people understood what a remap could offer to give a taster, hence why full code takes about an hour to load via ODBC.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Leeds, yorkshire
    Posts
    39
    ive been trying to decide on whats the better option, think bluefin is the way i'll b going. only because my wife has the car monday to friday and if you carnt notice it when driving normal, i should get away with it without telling her, haha result!!! cheers guys

  24. #23
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny 2.0T View Post
    ive been trying to decide on whats the better option, think bluefin is the way i'll b going. only because my wife has the car monday to friday and if you carnt notice it when driving normal, i should get away with it without telling her, haha result!!! cheers guys
    Just to mention, not sure about yours but my car is DSG so it changes gears pretty low down the rev range when driving normally. This is probably why I can't sense the remap under gentle/normal acceleration. Not sure if the same can be said for manuals as people tend to stay in gear for longer and the extra power will probably be more noticeable.

    But to make sure your wife doesn't notice the remap just switch it back to stock using the handheld device on a sunday evening.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. NEW S3 OWNER..2 Chip or not 2 Chip?
    By fusions3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 3rd September 2008, 18:08
  2. chip for a4
    By imported_idua in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd September 2004, 20:09
  3. What if I chip my 1.8T?
    By in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th May 2004, 17:57
  4. 2.8 Chip
    By b0d0m in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th December 2003, 11:44
  5. Chip or not to chip...that is the question...
    By jugman99 in forum A8/S8 forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd December 2003, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO