Poli84's Sprint Blue S3 Build Thread

Oh yeah! Those wheels (until 19's), black optics and black fog grills....PURE SEX. Keep those pics coming. Someone on the forum did the splitter and rear valence in carbon. I just love to spend other people's money :)

Think that's the plan yeah.
Although, I am leading more towards gloss black for the splitter and rear valance instead of carbon.
Thoughts?

BTW, I have the mirror covers in black. Nobody wants them over here and I'll send ya them for postage
That would be awesome, thanks mate.
Any experience shipping to Australia though?
Wouldn't have a clue where to begin but doubt they weight much so shouldn't be to expensive...

Doesn't matter if the speedlines come from Mars, still do them anthracite :laugh:

Oh yes Poli, listen to our N8!! I hope Hugy doesn't mind me pinching a few pics of the gorgeous anthracite Speedlines he bought from N8, but these for me are one of the very best OEM wheel/refurb/colour combos I have ever seen. I fell in love with these when I first saw them and if it wasn't for finding some MTM's at a price I couldn't refuse, I would have had some too. The S3 alloys do look great in anthracite, but IMO they aren't that special a wheel. You and your beautiful Sprint Blue S3 deserve some of THESE!! :wub: xx

S1051148.jpg

S1051147.jpg

S1051145.jpg

Ah Paulie, thanks for posting these!!
I've been wanting to see some anthracite Speedlines on a Sprint Blue.
This looks amazing!

I know what I need to do, just where to find the money!!

Ah Paulie, thanks for posting these!!
I've been wanting to see some anthracite Speedlines on a Sprint Blue.
This looks amazing!

I know what I need to do, just where to find the money!!

I just had to let you see how stunning they look against the Sprint, Dude! I'm glad you like them as much as I do, lol. :wub: xx

I ordered some 3M 1080 Series Gloss Black wrap and had a go at wrapping my 'B Pillar' covers last night.

The pillars are very easy to remove, you remove the black cover at the bottom by pulling out and down from the bottom which reveals 2 torx screws.
Once these screws are out, the covers pull down and out.

The difficulty was about on par with my expectations.
I ruined my first attempt by using a credit card to remove the bubbles - bad ideas as this scratched the wrap pretty badly.

Applying heat from a hair dryer makes the process rather easy. It softens so much (turns into a different product) which allows you to stretch and remove the air bubbles.

I need to re-do one of them as it's not up to my expectations but still looks ok. Will order some more wrap and get it done ASAP.

I will attempt the 'C pillar' triangles but these will be more difficult as you can't remove them and need to be done on the car.

8222395198_7b72337b14_b.jpg

8221310985_4aa4e54251_c.jpg

8221313359_77147b95be_b.jpg

Autotech HPFP and Revo Stage 2+ went in last night.
The only drive I have had so far is the drive back home which was good fun.
8226531634_a3658885de_z.jpg

Went with the Linear software option which (as the name suggests), offers linear power delivery as the throttle becomes a lot more like a 'Cable driven' throttle allowing you to feed the throttle in, rather than having the electronics apply 50% of power when you are only depressing your foot 20% down.
Ie, you apply 10% throttle, you get 10% of throttle which means you don't get full power until your foot is mashed into the carpet.
I'll drive it for some time longer before I make my mind up on it.

The 2+ software is great though, feels stronger down low and just pulls so consistently all the way through the rev range.

Finally, we changed over the Cam follower which was worn a little but not looking too bad I think (but I'm not expert).
8225459679_05ff7f6a73_z.jpg

great!!
stage2+ is great fun!
i'm still waiting for clutch and then the car is going back to garage, for new clutch and new map set properly. might go for linear map.

also love what you've done to b pillars.

Small update.

I went back to Audvolks and got my tune adjusted to the non-linear 2+ map and I love it.
Much more to my liking than the linear map.

Other update was that I have done some cleaning up of the car and general detailing.

I had the rear RHS quarter panel resprayed to fix a deep scratch that has been there for about 2 years from when an umbrella flew over a roof and landed next to my car. This is a great feeling ot have that scratch fixed because it annoyed the crap out of me and it has been there since about 2 months of ownership.

I then had all 4 of my OEM wheels refurbished.
They had a small amount of kerb rash and were generally looking a bit tired. I was originally going to respray in anthracite but I just love the way the silver pops against the Sprint Blue and decided to keep them OEM.

While the wheels were off, NCRAW was kind enough to lend me a couple of his old wheels which gave me a great chance to see what the car looks like with different rims (pretty great I think).

8537884009_7115892e71_c.jpg

8538992486_2d3fc0fe90_c.jpg

This was the other side of the car fitted with 2 space savers (note the car was driven no further than down my folks drive and kept in their garage.

8538990838_ef0dc783a5_c.jpg

I also took the opportunity to detail the car while it was not going anywhere.
Clay bar, IronX, polish where needed, Eraser and then another layer of CQuartz.
Pretty impressed with CQuartz given my last treatment was 12 months ago and it has held up well.

8538993604_67fe4ce54e_c.jpg

8538993148_d7705414e1_c.jpg

8538994260_83f6f53f31_c.jpg

8538994922_f84d8d5c00_c.jpg

I also cleaned up the discs and hubs again and they are looking pretty good!

Finally, this has been my whip for the last 4 days:
8538990198_f53f0468af_c.jpg

Looks fantastic and well kitted out but 1.8T Multi is a bad combo.
Steering feels so disconnected but that interior is great, makes my 8P look old.
Also has a beautiful chunky FBSW but other than that, couldn't wait to get back into my S3 this afternoon.

I really love my S3!

Also had my major service done including brake fluid flush and new OEM spark plugs.

Report has come back that my front 2 tyres are now un-roadworthy (wearing on the inside edge) which is very disappointing.
I fitted the Conti Sport Contact 3 about 20k kms ago and they have not lasted anywhere near long enough (for my expectations) and this is noticeable in their grip. They feel terrible in the wet and when they are cold.
I've rotated front to back and will give it another 5k kms before I will start looking for new tyres, which will not be Conti's again.
Perhaps Michelin Pilot Sports this time.

Ideally I'd love to use this opportunity to change my wheels to 19's also, but unless i can find a near new 19" tyre package with good rubber, I think I will just stick with OEM.
I'm lucky enough to run my car expenses through the business but wouldn't be able to justify the upgrade in wheels, plus the modifications to the car have taken a back seat this year as other life expenses take priority.

EBC yellow stuff are 40% front and 60% rear which is not bad given they are 18 months and have over 20k kms (including about 15 laps of Phillip Island Raceway).
Although I am pretty happy with the Yellowstuff now (after my initially disappointment), think I will switch over to Ferodo DS2500 once these are gone for some more bite.

Battery has just died for a third time so I am now waiting for a new OEM battery to arrive to my office which I will then install.
Will have to pop back to my tuner and have the Revo 2+ reloaded because it reverts to stock when you disconnect the battery.

That's about it for now I think.