Summer tyres for better comfort

Red-Eye

Reaction score
As I've allready posted on here, I've fitted some winter rims & tyres this year, they are 205-55-R16 on steel rims, what I've noticed is that the ride is a lot smoother as they ride over bumps better due to the softer tyres & larger wall profile. What I would like to know is can I get the same sort of comfort feel with the "summer" rims fitted, these are 18" rims with 245-40-R18 tyres, or does it mean geting new 17" rims to put a large wall profile tyre on.
Any ideas about this appreciated

Come on , I'm sure there are other options available ;-)

Clearly the gain in comfort you are experiencing is linked to the tyre size, it'll be difficult to have the same effect running an 18 inch tyre. Using an equal tyre size, there wouldn't be a difference in comfort between a winter tyre and a summer tyre. However, we wouldn't advocate leaving your winter tyres on in summer, as summer tyres would perform better, but winter tyres wear quicker in the summer!

Hope this helps you out! Let us know what you choose in the end.

you could try the 18's on a 45 profile or check whether your current tyres are XL, if they are they will have a strengthened sidewall which would give a harder ride but better turn in, non XL tyres will be softer