A3 vs Golf mkV

Japper

Ibis S3 Fan Club
Reaction score
What is it with VW. When I ordered the A3 spec for spec,17" rims, DSG, paddles etc, etc the golf was about 750 quid cheaper. The fact that the interior is naff, and the outside looks like a pug 307, and my mk1V was hardly built rattle free.

Now they're making 2 zone climate a £695 option /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What gives ?, as I think they've lost the plot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Agree totally with you Japper, i dread to think what price the new R36 will be.

[ QUOTE ]
Agree totally with you Japper, i dread to think what price the new R36 will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

25k basic + options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

People used to call me a 'Golf man' as I have had a few Gti's in my time.
I agree with Japper.
I also think VW have totally lost the plot and the new Golf is barely distinguishable from a 307.

Bland bland bland,inside and out.

The new Gti is hopelessly overpriced as well.

£21k for a Golf ?
Before extras ?

So much for 'people's car'.....

Linky

read this thread, (scroll down to evosnappers comments!), just had it out with them, always worth a punt... maybe you could oblige and re-open the wound!!! worth a laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Agreed on all points. But lets not kid ourselves - we are all driving blinged up skodas anyway!

Wash your mouth out jungle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The annoying thing is, i tried to come back at jungle with a ***** remark, but couldn't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

does he have a point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

U could say the same about Lexus and Toyota, Jaguar and Ford, Saab and GM

I often get the 'same underneath as a Skoda' thrown at me by the likes of our ***** delivery drivers,who would like nothing better than to demean the car or myself.
However,I often reply;

"You're right,in a way...
In the same way your cheap shoes use the same laces as good ones"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

and there i was thinking Audi drivers where above all those childish remarks.

Personally I just use the classic line: "F$%k off you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif..."

Well said MB, if we wanted to drive Skoda, we could.

But at the end of the day, we are all badge snobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

If the Fabia VRS tdi had been available when I ordered my A3, I would have got that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I also considered the 147 jtd, but when I had a closer look at the interior and body work, you could see where the savings are made. The finish is nowhere near the Audi.

Anyway, there is no equivalent to the A3 in the Skoda range, so our egos are safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Not even Seat really, until the new Leon arrives.

[ QUOTE ]
I also considered the 147 jtd, but when I had a closer look at the interior and body work, you could see where the savings are made. The finish is nowhere near the Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a 156.
I mulled over the JTD version of that,as it is a superb engine (used by saab as well) and the 156 is a superb driver's car.
However,as you say,you get fed up of supergluing interior trims back together,which I often had to do in my 156.

The new 156 that is coming though (I think they're calling it the 159?) is absolutely beautiful.

I have a soft spot for Alfa's but seriously cannot afford them. Its not the buying its the amount of money they loose!

Like clarkson said "the only thing quicker than the GTA is its depreciation"!

[ QUOTE ]
I have a soft spot for Alfa's but seriously cannot afford them. Its not the buying its the amount of money they loose!

Like clarkson said "the only thing quicker than the GTA is its depreciation"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they that bad these days ?
I have company cars,so don't have to worry.
My 156 ( 2.0 twinspark with sportpack two,metallic black paint,power Recaros ) was bought for £13800 from an importer who sourced it new in Ireland in 2000 ( W reg ).
I sold it to a colleague in Manchester 18 months later for £10k,with 26K on the clock.
It never actualy let me down in those 26k miles.
A few recalls for new back bushes (clunky suspension) and some trim issues,but nothing major.
What a car to drive though.
I've never had a car handle as good as that,before or since.
Went straight for the apex and gripped like buggery.Any understeer was easily controlled,without any ****** stupid traction control butting in.

It was only the changes in company car tax,and the car's high Co2 rating,that forced it's sale.

[ QUOTE ]

Are they that bad these days ?

was bought for £13800

I sold it to a colleague in Manchester 18 months later for £10k

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you not answered your own question there!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LOL...you live in Aberdeen and sold it to someone 500 miles away in manchester, scared you might have to see him again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Depends on your point of reference really...

[ QUOTE ]
I often get the 'same underneath as a Skoda'

[/ QUOTE ]

Another person may substitute Audi, Seat, VW, Porsche, Lamborghini, for "Skoda".... up or down, your choice.

How does "same underneath as a Porsche" sound....

[ QUOTE ]
How does "same underneath as a Porsche" sound....

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't that what the beetle drivers used to say! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...you live in Aberdeen and sold it to someone 500 miles away in manchester, scared you might have to see him again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a colleague.
He still has the car.
It's got over 50K on the clock now and he's had no problems.He replaced the timing chain as a precaution.
He was interested in replacing it with my A4 130 tdi sport,but the leasing company wanted daft money for it.

I didn't think depreciation of £3800 over 26k miles was bad !?

I bet you my A3 has dropped by a couple grand and I've only done 700 miles !

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked my dealer how much they'd give me for mine after 1k miles, when it was 4 months old. (nearly HAD to sell)

27k new, 19k offered!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked my dealer how much they'd give me for mine after 1k miles, when it was 4 months old. (nearly HAD to sell)

27k new, 19k offered!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversation heard in an Audi dealership

I just turned the key to start my car and there was a strange whistling noise.....

Ah, that will be the falling value of your car sir. Don't worry, it's depreciation, they all do that.

My A4 was just over £21700 brand new in '02.
The leasing company wanted £12000 for it as a settlement figure three years later.

The thing is,the guy that was interested in buying it saw similar A4's,with less miles than the 36K my car had,for up to £2K less.

So the leasing company's figure seemed unrealistic and they were told to come get it. I bet it's now for sale for less than the £12K they wanted us to pay for it.

So a 3 year old A4 depreciates anyting between 45% and 55% of it's value.
That's no better than average.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think depreciation of £3800 over 26k miles was bad !?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't that be 28% in 18 months?? Which is quite bad.