Sportback rear door cards - how did you get them off?

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

was working on the car this week and was replacing my window switches to the new facelift chrome ones.
the front door cars are easy to take off - 4 screws out of the door card (2 at bottom, 1 above the door pocket and the one behind the plastic where the door locking mechanisim is) then just pull the card off the door (carefully so you dont break any clips) finally unhook the top part of the door card on the window glass frame

but the rears are something else!
i only found one visisble screw (under the plastic trim by the tweeter), there are no screws at the bottom so i started pulling at the card and although i got all the clips off there was something holding it to the door skin right in the centre of the door card. i managed to get a peek in to see that there is another screw behind the armrest part holding the door card to the door skin. how on earth are you meant to remove that screw when there are no holes in the plastic arm rest to get access to that screw?

In the end with the clips off i managed to just reach up and take the window switch out without removing the door card and swapping over the chrome button but that was painful as the door card was wedging my arm in and there isnt any room at all (and thats coming from a short dude like me)

does anyone know of the proper way to get that door card off?

Ash

Just done a search to see how the rear door panel comes off and came across your old post which no'one seems to have answered.

Just wondered if you did find out as i've got the same issue.

John

Hi guys,

was working on the car this week and was replacing my window switches to the new facelift chrome ones.
the front door cars are easy to take off - 4 screws out of the door card (2 at bottom, 1 above the door pocket and the one behind the plastic where the door locking mechanisim is) then just pull the card off the door (carefully so you dont break any clips) finally unhook the top part of the door card on the window glass frame

but the rears are something else!
i only found one visisble screw (under the plastic trim by the tweeter), there are no screws at the bottom so i started pulling at the card and although i got all the clips off there was something holding it to the door skin right in the centre of the door card. i managed to get a peek in to see that there is another screw behind the armrest part holding the door card to the door skin. how on earth are you meant to remove that screw when there are no holes in the plastic arm rest to get access to that screw?

In the end with the clips off i managed to just reach up and take the window switch out without removing the door card and swapping over the chrome button but that was painful as the door card was wedging my arm in and there isnt any room at all (and thats coming from a short dude like me)

does anyone know of the proper way to get that door card off?

Oh yeah, everyone just texted/private messaged me instead.
Basically you remove the plastics around the window switch and it should then reveal the last screw.