Looking at getting an A3

Aaz

Reaction score
Hey, I have been looking into getting a 2009 A3 TDI S-Line S Tronic. I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts and experience of these are... Average MPG would be a good help as well as miles per tank.. Any info on what too look out for would be helpful.

And, does it come with cruise control or not?

Thanks in advance.

cruise control is an option i believe mate , mpg should be around 45+ but I'm sure someone who has one will post soon enough

Yeah cruise is an option, round town i get anywhere from 35-42 but i've got a manual. On a run is where these cars really shine i get upwards of 48 when booting it and 55+ if taking it steady, that being said 550 miles from a tank is easily achievable. Good luck and welcome to ASN. :sm4:

that being said 550 miles from a tank is easily achievable

Now there is a reason to buy one! About 200 miles per tank more than same cc petrol.

Very good car, and as good as its ever been in its history. Like a fine wine the A3 has evolved fantastically with age (looks /interior /spec). It's hard to believe this platform started out back in 2003-ish!

Best of luck with your purchase and welcome!

Cheers for the comments. Could cruise control be fitted to it if it doesn't have it then or it that not possible?

The MPG seems pretty good, the reason for going for the tdi is because I currently have an Ibiza Bocanegra but I am doing more miles than I expected when I first bought the car, doing around 350 a week, without social use. Getting around 280ish miles per tank, driving eco. The A3 will be a lot cheeper to run in that sense by the looks of it at about 550 miles per tank.

Yeah I love the look of the 09 A3, the spec on the S-Line seems good as well tbh. The interior looks quite comfy and doing the miles I will be doing I wouldn't mind being comfy.

2.0TDI is a fantastic engine, especially the newer engines.. Pre-09 170's have been hitting the 38mpg range, for which you may as well buy a petrol.. Whereas I fitted bluetooth to a guys 11' 170 and he was on an average of 58mpg, and the 140 would return even more..

Cruise Control can be fitted afterwards, there are a few chaps on the forum, including myself, that provide this service.

Aaz, cruise control can be fitted no problem. There are plenty here who can do it including myself, Nigel, Johnny, Ash, only to name a few and depending what area you are.
Basically, anything that was an option from the dealer can more or less be fitted.

Cheers

Danny

Jb0o: cheers, it's quite quiet in the cabin if I'm correct so you can't really tell its a tdi, I could be wrong.. That sound pretty good, the one I'm looking at is a May2009 TDI 140.. So mpg should be good on that,I'm only getting about 35mpg out of my car, maybe 39 on a longer run.. Looks like I'll be asking around on here to see who is closest to me then if I get the A3.

Dannykn9: ah that cool, I'll ask around if I manage to get the car.. And it's good that most optional extras can be fitted after.

With regards to the 170, I have a 2006 "56" 170 tdi and and my average MPG is 47!!
If I have a nice steady run I can even manage 55 MPG.

I get on average about 500 maybe a tad more.

On a recent drive to Manchester from London and back, I used up just under 3/4 tank.

With regards to the 170, I have a 2006 "56" 170 tdi and and my average MPG is 47!!
If I have a nice steady run I can even manage 55 MPG.

I get on average about 500 maybe a tad more.

On a recent drive to Manchester from London and back, I used up just under 3/4 tank.

Thats decent that Danny, I know that quattro plays a significant role in the reduction of MPG.

Is there much difference I'm performance between 140 and 170, I don't want too much of a drop from mine.. I know it gona be a drop but I wana still be able to put my foot down and it'll go!! Lol

about £68 to fill i only half fill that lasts me two weeks aprox 260 miles

Ah thats good, my tax is £160.. I drive a seat ibiza bocanegra 1.4TSI.. Dependin how i drive it i can get between 260 and 320 miles per tank, thats about a weeks driving

Thts why im looking this A3 mate, it so tempting to get it, just gota work out the finance side of things

Yea thats why i looking at this A3.. Just gota work out finance side of things

well youl prob save what you spend in 12 months i can get up to 60 mpg out of mine

Yeah thats my thinking if i get anything more than my 39mpg i'll be happy lol

39mpg isnt bad though! Don't expect to get much better than that if your driving spiritedly.

I no, but its 39 on a long-ish run.. Bout 34 if not if i drive eco.. If i dnt drive eco then its 30ish.. I no the tdi will do much better than that how ever i drive it

Ahh yeah i get high thirties even if im booting it about :happy:

Yea i wish i could get that! The A3 seems to be a good buy by the sounds of things

i do a hell of a lot of a roads and urban and it never normally shows under 47 mpg even with a boot now and then

Thats really good, i could only dream of seeing such a high number on my ibiza.. Seems like the A3 will save me quite a bit of money in fuel.. Is there any issues with the tdi140 that i should look out for?

on that year no the older ones that are not CR idle a bit rough. the new ones are v quiet and are very responsive for a 140bhp car. mine has the dpf that can be a pain when it burns through but yours prob wont as yours is all long milage

Sweet, cheers for that. I glad the quiet as well, the interior look comfy as well, what is the ride like? On the S-Line it has a more sporty susp. if im correct? Not sure how much it will affect the ride

sline is about 25mm lower than se sort is 10-15mm sline has 18"s
I think my sline is more comfy than the sport i had on 17"s (less bounce)
interior cabin is excellent i have the sline leather embossed seats with alcantara inlays.
the sport was the same seat but cloth (piano trim it was called)

Ah sweet. I knew it would be comfy it is an Audi after all! Only thing I will miss is the fact it doesn't have a flat bottom steering wheel, but I'll get over that

if you get a black edition i am sure they have them. but you can always retro for about £600 if it bothers you, as a comprimise you will see for little OOOO's instead of a big S got to make you feel better on those long drives to work

you know this looks better lol
IMG_2328.jpg

Not sure it'll bother me enough to pay £600 lol, but could be a future option

I have the early PD diesel engine 2.0 140 and you do notice it is a diesel although not like an old van. It's got plenty of grunt with a DTUK box on. Sport model so slightly lower than SE models and handling is very good in standard form. I see 55 MPG most days with sensible driving on some dual carriageways and have had 60+ mpg when trying.
Before this I had a Leon Cupra 20VT remapped etc and I would never look at getting another petrol.

The mpg is the major thing that making me want a tdi cos it will save me some money on running costs

1.9 i am sure is better on fule ( now the 1.6tdi )

Yeah maybe but i would like the 2.0 to be honest, bit more similar to mine performance wise