Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Question Done?SB Facelift LEd Tails WITH prefacelift LED harness / cables? Without kufatc?

    Possible by re-wiring & coding in theory?

    I got the leds but dont want to spend more money on the looms? Is it possible without a loom by an electrician?

    Let me know please asap, I have my tomorrow afternoon OFF! :D

    Thanks..

    Any ideas or suggestions will be great..
    Last edited by skemiksiz; 13th January 2012 at 22:09.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    yes i have created my own loom and fitted the leds onto a pre-facelift car, i followed a kufatec loom to check that the wiring was correct and the loom worked perfectly.
    the kufatec loom however has 100 ohm resistors on the wires and from my investigation this is to stop any bulb out warning messages and to stop the initial flashing of LEDs as the car does the bulb check when it is first switched on.

    the wiring is as follows

    drivers side outers
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 1
    2 3
    3 2&5
    4 6


    drivers side inners
    old 3 pin connector pin new 8 pin connector
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    new pin 4 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom


    Passenger side outers:
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 2
    2 1&6
    3 3
    4 5


    Passenger side inners
    old 3 pin connector new 8 pin connector
    1 3
    2 5
    3 7
    new pin 1 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom

    you will need to get the new connector ends in able to do this re-wiring as the connectors are different. You would also need to cut and re-solder on new pins to the wires as they have different pin heads. (I know the inner lights have different pin heads, but cannot remember if the inners need new pins. although you would need to add another wire onto the loom for the outers)

    the connector part numbers are
    1J0 973 733 x2 (connector for rear outer tail lights)
    3B0 972 724 x2 (connector for rear inner tail lights)
    000 979 009 x9 (repair wires)
    hope that helps
    Last edited by Ash187; 14th January 2012 at 03:20.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  4. #3
    loudchris53's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey
    Posts
    399
    Does the kufatec loom simply go from the old wiring into the new lights? Do i have to remove the boot carpet to fit the led outer lights or are the bolts easy to get to

    Chris
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

  5. #4
    Dannykn9's Avatar
    "Cruise My Ride"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    1,077
    Excellent write up Ash!!

    Chris, no need to remove boot carpet for outer lights. If you have the new lights and leads then I can install them for you when I do your cruise.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"


  6. #5
    loudchris53's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey
    Posts
    399
    Brilliant!! I will get the adapters ordered so we can do it when we sort out the cruise

    Chris
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

  7. #6
    loudchris53's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey
    Posts
    399
    Just gone to order the adapters from here
    KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - Facelift LED Rear Lights - Adapter - Audi A3 8PA Sportback 36507
    And it says near the bottom not suitable for RHD, are these not the right adapters?

    Chris
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

  8. #7
    loudchris53's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey
    Posts
    399
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

  9. #8
    Dannykn9's Avatar
    "Cruise My Ride"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    1,077
    The ones from Kufatec will work mate. Many people from here have used them ones, am sure someone will confirm this.
    Also the other ones will work too.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"


  10. #9
    loudchris53's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey
    Posts
    399
    Ok, i think i will order the Kufatec one as i trust that it will not break unlike the ebay one Cheers Danny

    Chris
    A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback - DSG, Alcantara/Leather Heated Seats, Xenons, Acoustic park, Armrest, Folding/auto dimming mirrors, Symphony with Bose, Rain sensor, Multifuntion steering wheel, Lumbar Support, Aluminium roof rails, Lumbar Support, Vanity mirror lights
    MODS - ​RS3 Aluminium Race Inlay trim, LED rear lights, RNS-E, Bluetooth+SDS, Sline front bumper+Black grille

  11. #10
    Foxy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    147
    Hi all I installed these lights on my sportback with the kufatec looms and they work perfect gone through MOT no problem, ignore the unsuitable for right hand drive as sportback rear lights are the same for RHD and LHD

  12. #11
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Personally I would get the cheaper ones not the kufa ones. Reason i say this is that the bi-xenon looms that kufa sell are more expensive then what you get on eBay Germany but in fact not wired up properly, where as the cheaper ones fon eBay Germany are wired up properly and easier to install. When I say not wired up properly they include 4 pins that need to be wired up to the CE module where you really only need 2 pins to go to the CE module and the other wiring can be done in the headlight connector.
    Anyway these are the rear lights and you do not need to wire anything into the ce module.

    You guys are weird! The op says he wants to wire up the rear lights without the kufa looms and although I explained how that it done you all are still ordering the kufa loom anyway! :P
    Last edited by Ash187; 14th January 2012 at 12:16.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  13. #12
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,050
    I bought my facelift rear lights off ebay from a German seller, the lights wereabout £230 delivered including the loom adaptors (possible kUFATEC, but not sure), the lights do that wiered flicked on ignition on so didn't realise that was kind of normal! The only addition was the extra power wire for the inner tail lamp (taken off the reg plate).

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    yes i have created my own loom and fitted the leds onto a pre-facelift car, i followed a kufatec loom to check that the wiring was correct and the loom worked perfectly.
    the kufatec loom however has 100 ohm resistors on the wires and from my investigation this is to stop any bulb out warning messages and to stop the initial flashing of LEDs as the car does the bulb check when it is first switched on.

    the wiring is as follows

    drivers side outers
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 1
    2 3
    3 2&5
    4 6




    drivers side inners
    old 3 pin connector pin new 8 pin connector
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    new pin 4 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom




    Passenger side outers:
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 2
    2 1&6
    3 3
    4 5




    Passenger side inners
    old 3 pin connector new 8 pin connector
    1 3
    2 5
    3 7
    new pin 1 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom



    you will need to get the new connector ends in able to do this re-wiring as the connectors are different. You would also need to cut and re-solder on new pins to the wires as they have different pin heads. (I know the inner lights have different pin heads, but cannot remember if the inners need new pins. although you would need to add another wire onto the loom for the outers)

    the connector part numbers are
    1J0 973 733 x2 (connector for rear outer tail lights)
    3B0 972 724 x2 (connector for rear inner tail lights)
    000 979 009 x9 (repair wires)
    hope that helps
    Thanks a lot mate for the great helps Before you wrote them, I found this harness diagram from another website after 3-4 hours work & we have done the thing correctly, thanks god!

    My path is exactly like yours..

    On the harness coming from the car, its written that which one is the 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 numbered wires. So we tried to guess! the numbers on the US specs LED tails and bingo, we guessed them right!! It was a forecast more than a guess.. We based our guess on some facts that we saw on the led harness.

    And we sliced the cables coming from the car, put new pins & connected them into the harness on the LEDs.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    As you may see in the pictures.. Than we make the coding thing and its all great.. I fallowed my own creation & make a single side led without using the inside led set.

    You may see the pics here:Custom Facelift LEDs Installed + Custom S-Line Rear Valance/spoiler Installed!
    Last edited by skemiksiz; 15th January 2012 at 14:39.

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by loudchris53 View Post
    Brilliant!! I will get the adapters ordered so we can do it when we sort out the cruise

    Chris
    You WONT NEED any adapters.. Just slice the cables after cut ( car cables ) than install pins on them, than plug theeem into the correct order on the led harness.. Its all.. We also put some caps on the pins in order to save them from the rain & snow..

    See the picture below:

    WE HAVE DUPLICATED 2 wires coming from the car by fallowing the harness diagram above..



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    NO NEED TO WASTE MONEY ON KUFATEC!!


    Cheers
    Last edited by skemiksiz; 15th January 2012 at 14:04.

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Just want to say thanks for this great information on the wiring as got the pre fit retro led lights installed on my a3 55 reg with harness cables from Germany but only have one passengers side outer s lit and one drivers side inner LEDs lit after coding as well ! Will check the wiring is right with your information.Is it possible also the guy I paid to do the encoding has only done one half of program for each side ? Thanks for any advice phil

  17. #16
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by skemiksiz View Post
    You WONT NEED any adapters.. Just slice the cables after cut ( car cables ) than install pins on them, than plug theeem into the correct order on the led harness.. Its all.. We also put some caps on the pins in order to save them from the rain & snow..

    See the picture below:

    WE HAVE DUPLICATED 2 wires coming from the car by fallowing the harness diagram above..



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    NO NEED TO WASTE MONEY ON KUFATEC!!


    Cheers
    Ok firstly for the outer lights the pins do not need to be cut off, as they already have the correct pin heads on them. All that is needed is to splice and solder a wire on one of the existing wires with another pin so that it will power up the LEDs.

    The inners would need to be cut off and replaced with the smaller pins for the newer inner wires.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPree View Post
    Just want to say thanks for this great information on the wiring as got the pre fit retro led lights installed on my a3 55 reg with harness cables from Germany but only have one passengers side outer s lit and one drivers side inner LEDs lit after coding as well ! Will check the wiring is right with your information.Is it possible also the guy I paid to do the encoding has only done one half of program for each side ? Thanks for any advice phil
    If you used adapters then it sounds like you have not used the correct left and right adapters as the wiring on both sides are different. There is no coding for left or right, it's just a coding to tell the car how to power the bulbs. Check your wiring mate
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    Hi completely puzzled as tried changing the wires does not help completely confused now? On the above lighting diagram it's saying passenger inner well I have it wired the same way but it will only light the drivers side? And the drivers side inner Only has 4 pins but yet it's saying put in to slot 2 but the odds are on one side the evens on another? Don't suppose you have a contact number?

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    yes i have created my own loom and fitted the leds onto a pre-facelift car, i followed a kufatec loom to check that the wiring was correct and the loom worked perfectly.
    the kufatec loom however has 100 ohm resistors on the wires and from my investigation this is to stop any bulb out warning messages and to stop the initial flashing of LEDs as the car does the bulb check when it is first switched on.

    the wiring is as follows

    drivers side outers
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 1
    2 3
    3 2&5
    4 6


    drivers side inners
    old 3 pin connector pin new 8 pin connector
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    new pin 4 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom


    Passenger side outers:
    old 4 pin connector new 6 pin connector
    1 2
    2 1&6
    3 3
    4 5


    Passenger side inners
    old 3 pin connector new 8 pin connector
    1 3
    2 5
    3 7
    new pin 1 - (grey wire) pin 3 on
    licence plate illumination loom

    you will need to get the new connector ends in able to do this re-wiring as the connectors are different. You would also need to cut and re-solder on new pins to the wires as they have different pin heads. (I know the inner lights have different pin heads, but cannot remember if the inners need new pins. although you would need to add another wire onto the loom for the outers)

    the connector part numbers are
    1J0 973 733 x2 (connector for rear outer tail lights)
    3B0 972 724 x2 (connector for rear inner tail lights)
    000 979 009 x9 (repair wires)
    hope that helps
    Hi,
    I nearly finished fitting the outer lights are fine and working no problem, although for the inner lights I can't locate the number plate loom, I was looking for over half an hour, but I just got fed up here are some pictures I have taken. Could some one just tell me which lead it is ?

    Much appreciated.
    Thanks


    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #19
    Ash187's Avatar
    Audi Retrofitter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent
    Posts
    6,289

    My Social Networking

    Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel


    in the middle of the boot lid! have a look at the outer side where the boot handle opener is and the wire is directly on the other side.
    in this picture you can see the rear wiper motor which is located in the middle of the boot door, just above it on the left there is a black wire that looks like a U and on one end of it you can see the exposed brown wire

    on the below picture the same wire is on the very far left of the image... again you can see the exposed brown wire:

    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

    MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

    Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread


  21. #20
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    490
    I have these they work great and a bit cheaper than the kuftec oNes

    Quote Originally Posted by loudchris53 View Post

  22. #21
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post


    in the middle of the boot lid! have a look at the outer side where the boot handle opener is and the wire is directly on the other side.
    in this picture you can see the rear wiper motor which is located in the middle of the boot door, just above it on the left there is a black wire that looks like a U and on one end of it you can see the exposed brown wire

    on the below picture the same wire is on the very far left of the image... again you can see the exposed brown wire:

    So is it the brown wire ? I dont get it, could you highlight it for me ? Please thanks bud

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
    Posts
    47
    Do you mean the tiny connector with a 4 pins and metal tiny clip that holds it in ? Thanks

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. led upgrade facelift saloon.
    By Bradderz_1988 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th September 2011, 11:09
  2. Question about Facelift A3 Retrofit LED
    By muktlee in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 7th February 2011, 07:46
  3. My DRL LED Replacement, (not the LED strip)
    By PetrolAholic in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13th October 2010, 03:00
  4. NO led number plate LED bulbs work in 09 S3
    By crypric23 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 3rd November 2009, 10:52
  5. LED lights from New facelift
    By S3JET in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th May 2008, 02:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO