Are there any benefits of a 1.9tdi over 2.0tdi 140/170, why did they manufacture them

ColganRaz

Reaction score
As the title :) I have a 1.9tdi, just wondering are there any benefits of having one over the 2.0?

heres some performance figures, as you can see the 2.0 tdi 140 is ALOT quicker than the 1.9, and theres not much difference between taxing costs and insurance costs as far as i am aware, my 1.9 = insurance group 10 (shocking) and the 140 is 11 i am sure of...

1.9 TDI 3d -
11.0 secs -
120 mph- 103 bhp

2.0 TDI 3d -
9.2 secs -
129 mph -
138 bhp

2.0 TDI - (170bhp) - 3d
7.9 secs
- 138 mph
- 167 bhp

Have i got an obsolete diesel lol! there doesnt seem to be any bonus of having a 1.9... i notice the 1.9 is alot rarer than the 2.0, i imagine this is because people favouring the 2.0 when buying new... i also noticed 1.9 on autotrader were generally abit more expensive? maybe because theres fewer of them out there?

Im pretty certain the 1.9 = single over head cam 8v engine
2.0 140 = single over head came 16v
2.0 170 = double over head came 16v
correct me if i am wrong on this

so why did they make the 1.9 ??

I'll probably be shot down in flames, but I think the 1.9 is the original VW engine from way back?:sm4:

Probably to keep emmisons down at the time??
1.9 - 135g/km

Tax band E 131-140

£115.00 for the year

2.0 140 143g/km

Tax band F 141-150

£130.00 for the year

hardly anything on emissions, and just 15 more squids for a year road tax

just to add, the check i did on these involved 1.9 & 2.0 both 2005

I have no clue but its a good question, with reference to the above statement about emissions that 8g/km difference times the thousands of engines made will be quite a big difference

the 1.9 is now obsolete ans has been replaced by the 1.6TDI which is common rail.

They say the 1.9 is more reliable than the 2.0 because of the keyhole something that supplies the oil to the turbo and bits. In the 2.0 it was updated but has a habit of failing, causing the turbos to fail.. Maybe someone can elaborate on that **** poor explanation.. :uhm:

the 1.9 is an old engine first came out years and years ago but it lasts for years and years if looked after , my work mate had a A4 1.9tdi and when he sold it she was on 289.000 miles and still nothing wrong with it and it was still knocking out 60+ mpg so they must have been a good engine

your TAX is £115 because you have a newer generation engine which is the CR or common rail so the the emissions are lower hence cheaper tax.

ahh good man this alter those performance stats ?

1.9 is the old vw/audi engine, dont think its the PD as the PD is 130hp and 150hp, and i think 115hp?

The PD130 is great except its very rough and agricultural, the 2.0 tdi is much quieter and more refined, you can only really hear them at idle.

Yes, the 115BHP is a Pump Disu PD engine hence it has 6 speed gears.

1.9 is the old vw/audi engine, dont think its the PD as the PD is 130hp and 150hp, and i think 115hp?

The PD130 is great except its very rough and agricultural, the 2.0 tdi is much quieter and more refined, you can only really hear them at idle.

I wouldn't agree with that! the 2.0TDI PD engine is marginally more refined but it's hardly quiet. The 170PD is the quietest of the PD engines but hardly quiet for a diesel either. Fitted in an A3 they are all noisy except on cruise. The new common rail diesels is where AUDI should have been at 10years ago for refinement.

I doubt 1.9TDs are more expensive as it is not sought after, everyone wants the 140 which has the mix of power and mpg.

From a reliability point of view the 1.9 pd engine is much more reliable than the 2.0 PD tdi. There are a few differences between the engines and the 105/115 Bhp 1.9 PD Tdi has been detuned by using a smaller turbocharger and weaker bottom end. The older AVF/AWX 1.9Tdi engines as fitted to the b6 a4 were te best compromise between performance and economy. The 2.0Tdi got a 8 valve head in early models (great for torque lower down the revs) then 16V in the 170Bhp models for better breathing at high speeds. The PD 2.0 tdi also ad major issues with the Siemens injectors-there is a recall on this issue- and te early models had problems with the oil pump drive- vag supply redesigned parts but it's quite a major job and fairly expensive. The oil pump failure will take at least the head and turbo and many engines seized as the warning light goes off too late. Also the 2.0 engine 140Bhp uses the same GT1749va turbo as the pd130 whic is a relatively weak turbo which shears the shaft if it surges (very common on remapped cars). The 170Bhp had a larger bv43 turbocharger but it got crippled with a DPF. I suggest you guys leave them engines as they are and play very safe with remaps and such, the engines/turbos/clutches don't have the same reliability margin as the old models as they came highly strung from the factory !

i did have an 06 140 pd it ticked over a lot louder and the turbo when you chnaged gears unloaded a lot louder. sounded a bit like a dv.
the newer one is verry quiet and has a nice exaust note especally when booted but you dont here the turbo at all. the only doenside is when it burns the dpf it skinks if idle

I have a later 1.9TDI Sportback Sport - low emissions for company car so keeps the taxman off my back. Mines a September 2009 so just before it was phased out for the 1.6TDI. 2008 - 2009 ones were rebranded as the 1.9TDIe which I think means they were tuned a bit more over the standard ones to squeeze a bit more economy out go them. Will be replacing in September with the 1.6TDI as although this year the tax/benefit in kind is about the same as a 2.0TDI in 2013 and 2014 the emissions goalposts are moving again so I'd be worse off every year.

thanks for all your replies, so all in all from your feedback... the 1.9 PD105 is a very stable reliable engine but abit obsolete in comparison with the 2.0 variants

its good news to me though as my a3 has gone over 100k miles now, so i know there is a good bit more juice in the tank... fingers crossed of course lol.

hopefully the turbocharger will be able to handle a remap to 135bhp with no problems

i did have an 06 140 pd it ticked over a lot louder and the turbo when you chnaged gears unloaded a lot louder. sounded a bit like a dv.
the newer one is verry quiet and has a nice exaust note especally when booted but you dont here the turbo at all. the only doenside is when it burns the dpf it skinks if idle

I thought the earlier 140s didn't have a PDF? :think:

AFAIK only the 170 had the DPF in PD form in the UK. All CRs 2008-on have them though. I have heard of it being an "option" though?

Some spec lists even say that my 1.9 has a DPF but I'm not so sure...

I wouldn't agree with that! the 2.0TDI PD engine is marginally more refined but it's hardly quiet. The 170PD is the quietest of the PD engines but hardly quiet for a diesel either. Fitted in an A3 they are all noisy except on cruise. The new common rail diesels is where AUDI should have been at 10years ago for refinement.

I doubt 1.9TDs are more expensive as it is not sought after, everyone wants the 140 which has the mix of power and mpg.

I have a 2.0 tdi a3 now, and had a 1.9 PD130 for 1.5 years on standard map and 6 months more on an evolution chips remap. The pd130 was just like i described...noisey and agricultural. Lots of shake when you turned it on and off, all power and torque at the start of the powerband and then nothing (1.2k - 3.5k). 5 speed manual gbox.

The 2.0tdi is alot better than this, DSG is more refined so cant make much of a comparison here, but its much much quieter and no noticeable body shake :)

used to be able to tell by the pipes the ( up to about 2008) the 170's had crome tips and the 140's just std down pipes. thats how i tell. on the new ones no idear and the spanking new ones have a sigle pipe

used to be able to tell by the pipes the ( up to about 2008) the 170's had crome tips and the 140's just std down pipes. thats how i tell. on the new ones no idear and the spanking new ones have a sigle pipe
the 140 has a single and the 170 has twin pipes on the new ones as far as I'm aware dude

mine has two but its the first on the 8p3's (140)

2009 (58) 140 a3 sline
DSC00092.jpg