Engine problem?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
Accelerated off an island onto a dual carriageway this morning and once in 5th gear it wouldn't go any faster than 55mph. I floored it to see if it would change down a gear but it wouldn't.

So I manually knocked it down to 4th which would lower the revs but would not let me go any faster.

I pulled over and turned it off for 5 mins. Started it up and then it was fine all the way to work which was about 15 miles away. It let me drive upto any speed no probs.

There is no turbo whistle, no smoke, no dash lights/messages etc.

Any ideas what this could be? Just a one-off glitch, or signs of something bad coming my way :(

Any advice would be great thanks.

:)

prob went into limp mode
scan it see if its stored any codes

prob went into limp mode
scan it see if its stored any codes

I thought it could of been limp mode but thought I'd at least get some sort of dash light or DIS message saying so?

you dont always get a light on for limp
think iv had limp on every audi iv owned at 1 time or another
then its ran as normal with no probs

Limp Mode.
Happened to me, no lights or signs of problems.
then a month later of driving problem free, my turbo blew..

Limp Mode.
Happened to me, no lights or signs of problems.
then a month later of driving problem free, my turbo blew..

Did you not get any signs of a failing turbo (other than limp mode) before it blew?

Did you not get any signs of a failing turbo (other than limp mode) before it blew?

Not really. The noise wasn’t really that obvious, although i did think the boost pipe or seals might be loose.
but after it went into Limp Mode i did take a lot more notice of any unusual sounds and drove more carefully.
The car drove the way it did since i bought it, it was only after i got the turbo reconditioned i realised it was missing a bit of power and acceleration.

Best bet is to get it scanned. It could be anything (or hopefully nothing).

Not really. The noise wasn’t really that obvious, although i did think the boost pipe or seals might be loose.
but after it went into Limp Mode i did take a lot more notice of any unusual sounds and drove more carefully.
The car drove the way it did since i bought it, it was only after i got the turbo reconditioned i realised it was missing a bit of power and acceleration.

Best bet is to get it scanned. It could be anything (or hopefully nothing).

Will a failing turbo show up on a scan then?