Hatch pop on an a3?

grimp

Reaction score
Has anyone of you lot tried something like this on an 3d/sportback?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this mod seen it a while back on ecs tuning love it ,now can it be done to a s3 hopefully it can...

You dont, as long as you can unlock the hatch with the key from factory. mk5 doesnt even tho they have the button on the remote :p

I need this so much, juggling baby etc means pram can be chucked straight in the boot :)

There's been a couple of threads on here about this, I had a look into it last week, apparently on the golfs they end up warping the rear tailgate and the hydraulic cylinders rub on the paint on the sides when the lid shuts. I'll try to find the thread.

Easier to find than I thought LINK

There was a suggestion at the bottom of the thread about using die compression springs on the struts to force the tailgate open when the remote pops it off of the latch (there's a video too!!) but I think it was NHN mentioned about the extra pressure on the microswitch lock possibly leading to premature failure.

I think they're just super-strength struts, that's why shorter-shank balls are fitted to the hatch. The long ones wouldn't stand the leverage....or break the threads in the metal.

Also just found this which could be some help to us. LINK