The new MMI for the next A3 looks good...uses google streetview

Looks awesome and is this the first time we've seen pics (albeit rendered ones) of what the new A3 will look like?

did he say 2013 audi a3? thought bets were out for new a3 in 2012??

did he say 2013 audi a3? thought bets were out for new a3 in 2012??

It may well 2013 is the US but it will almost certainly be the released in 3-door format at the Geneva Motor Show in March for Europe. The Sportback will following some time in 2013.

will you get a paid for life simcard then to swallow all the data useage as would be on a constant roam, and round my way and many areas i travel with work mobile phones are next to useless.
good idea for technologically advanced countries unlike ours lol.

4G WILL (by definition) have better coverage... once rolled out. No way we'll have 4G before 2015 though, at the earliest. The auction for the spectrum doesn't even take place until later this year or maybe even next year dependant on court cases currently ongoing.

3G doesn't have the coverage for this, and UK data usage plans are far too low to even consider this for normal navigation - it could be useful for a single glance though, or to show what to expect at the next junction, rather then all the time.

It's a shame they can't build any part of this into the current A3's though - the new one looks okay, but too much like a stretched A1 to hold my interest for 18 months or more while they bring out the new one to match the spec of mine on order. The RNSe is probably going to be the one part of my car that I feel lets it down, though. More because of the lack of 7 digit postcode search than anything.

Last edited:
I use Google Navigator on my phone, I'm guessing that Audi intend to use a version of it. If the do without messing it up too much I think it'll be the best out there. Navigator is great in my opinion use it all the time whilst traveling up and down the country in the car. It does the Streetview thing when you arrive at your destination, it can shows routes in satellite view not just a plane map, and also provides a summary of your route with any delays en route.
Very rarely have any issues with it because of a lack of network coverage, which is surprising since I'm on T-mobile.

Like that, but its about damn time audi stepped up to the plate.

if its using a 3g/4g signal and a Nvidia chipset and i wonder if it can be hacked to install other apps to it and maybe even surf the web?

With all Honesty, I dnt like it. looks like a TOMTOM that has been stuck to the dash bored..... The 8P2 mmi is so much more better as its actually in the dash...

Am i the only person that thinks this?

With all Honesty, I dnt like it. looks like a TOMTOM that has been stuck to the dash bored..... The 8P2 mmi is so much more better as its actually in the dash...

Am i the only person that thinks this?
I like the current location but the newer style could reduce theft.

Reduce, it would stop theft based on nav units for sure lol.

I hope the basic Sat nav is improved...:) I was doing my usual 400 mile round trip to Norfolk yesterday and i had the sat nav on silent because i like the ETA info and times etc despite the fact i know the way. I have to laugh when i get 20 miles from home and the sat nav says ETA is 3 hours and its trying to get me to do a U turn on the M25... 5 miles before my exit junction :).
Last tim it tried to send me North when joining the M11 instead of South and once it tried to take me up the off slip roads and back down the on slip roads at each junction on the M11 south bound :)
Funny but really you wouldnt want to follow it any distance unless you already knew the route :)

Have you got dynamic navigation enabled, as this can happen if it gets a traffic info alert which would then divert you to other routes, even if that alert is ages old.

I do have traffic info enabled but TBH mate if their is a problem it shows as an icon on the map usually and there were no icons yesterday.
It just seems to have a problem with the M23/M25 junction. I did once follow it because i was unsure of where i was and it took me to the Addenbrookes hospital car park in Cambridge which was no where near the route i wanted, south on the M11.:) I eventually programed in a mid point destination being the Dartford crossing at it managed that.........and then on to Dorking :)
It just never inspire confidence.

I know the feeling mate had a few funny ones on my journeys to Italy & back, but made it nonetheless, but if I'm honest that maybe down to the frenchies building some new roads or just moving existing lol.

Not once has my RNS-E given me wacky directions. The Tomtom I had before it was a joke however, always trying to take me on insane detours.