How much has your insurance gone up when you've declared mods?

M

Morells

Hi guys/girls I was just wondering How much has your insurance gone up when you've declared mods? Also what mods have you told them about all or some?

All depends on the mods you do, some carry a greater rise then other, also depends who your insured with. Also if your declaring declare the lot as if the worst comes to the worst and you need to clam they will be looking for them!

the thing is nearly all insurers won't replace like for like all they put back on is the standard oem parts

Reactions: Kelza
Hastings Direct added 10% for my 18's, I explained they are standard Audi wheels but they stuck to the fact they aren't standard for my car hence the increase. Lucky I have a clean licence and full ncb so the extra was just under £40.

If you don't declare a modification you may well find yourself uninsured.
I'm insured with Greenlight,and my policy,with all the mods declared,plus a lot more power than last year,went down.......probably a product of being an old git,but a good result.

Yes declare everything, including all optional extras on the car. Recently amended my policy as we have a multi car policy with Admiral and they had all of my S3 factory optional extras down as mods. They categorise the mods ie exterior mods, interiors mods etc which took my total mods to a grand total of five!!! Admiral only permit a total of six mods per car so putting on 19s and lowered suspension would breach my cover so I explained the situation on factory options vs my own to which they allowed the latter with a premium increase of £38

My insurance went up £65 when I declared the HPFP and Stage2+ remap
When I was with Direct Line,they raised my premium by about that for that mod,but after I moved to Greenlight,and told them what I had in mind,plus all of the parts required,the answer was basically OK,and it won't alter the premium,so not a bad result for around 100bhp.

Didn't cost me a penny to delcare every factory extra. In the past it cost me £27 for stage 1 remap + big brake kit and lowering springs. (I was 19 at the time!)

A lot of the comparision websites (gocomare for example) lets you declare mods to play with the quote engine (use a fake phone#) to see how they affect.

In the last 6 years I have seen the increase with a chip come down a lot - mainly due to TDI people chipping more. Revo 1 adds less than £30 on my £600 policy.

Base TT quote (2.0T) was £603
With Revo 1, Air Filter, 19's and exhaust it is £730 with Admiral.

Insurers who I have used who are mod friendly are:

Admiral / Elephant group
Bell

Hope that helps.

D

Im insured with admiral and tinted windows, chip (for up to 10% additional bhp vs factory) and new exhaust cost me about £40 from memory. Did have some trouble getting them listed on the certificate if motor insurance but they finally got it right with the third one they sent me :)

£66.81 with admiral for alloys, front bumper and spoiler. Rns-e didn't change it nor did steering wheel just incase anyone is wondering about those mods.

Mine has gone up 15% with full declaration, but considering it was under £300 in the first place, I don't feel too hard done by, lol. :wub: xx

Mine has gone up 15% with full declaration, but considering it was under £300 in the first place, I don't feel too hard done by, lol. :wub: xx

I want to start using your insurance company.

If you insure your car with Brentcare (they're the broker) they will insure ALL VISUAL mods for free, performance mods they charge more for, but when taking out the policy they will ask you the BHP of your motro and put you in a BHP category, once you exceed that category limit of BHP they will then up the premium further by putting you in a higher BHP category.

You'd have to have a sex change for a start, Cheese lol. :wub: xxSure does help Aiden, ..as well as not being a Spring chicken any more, lol! :wub: xx
haha well starting december this year he wont have to have a sex change as the European court of justice has ruled that it will be illegal for insurance companies to discriminate against gender so all female drivers premiums will increase :(

haha well starting december this year he wont have to have a sex change as the European court of justice has ruled that it will be illegal for insurance companies to discriminate against gender so all female drivers premiums will increase :(

Lol, maybe he should just stick it out for another year (maybe not the best choice of words there!) as it's perhaps a bit of a drastic measure for one year's cheaper car insurance!

That particular ruling has been long overdue, ..it's not fair that young lads are treated very differently from lasses when it comes to purchasing car insurance. I know a lot of very competent and careful young male drivers who pay way over the score to insure their pride and joy, ..not everyone's a boy racer. :wub: xx

Quote "it's not fair that young lads are treated very differently from lasses when it comes to purchasing car insurance. I know a lot of very competent and careful young male drivers who pay way over the score to insure their pride and joy, ..not everyone's a boy racer. :wub: xx"

What? LOL to that! Yes they are all boy racers and don't you forget it! Sensible young make drivers? LOL, yeah right! That is as rare as hens teeth! As rare as rocking horse s**t! In fact, its so rare it would appear on an Arthur C Clarke program. Oh, ******, that really does show my age! Hahaha.

Quote "it's not fair that young lads are treated very differently from lasses when it comes to purchasing car insurance. I know a lot of very competent and careful young male drivers who pay way over the score to insure their pride and joy, ..not everyone's a boy racer. :wub: xx"

What? LOL to that! Yes they are all boy racers and don't you forget it! Sensible young make drivers? LOL, yeah right! That is as rare as hens teeth! As rare as rocking horse s**t! In fact, its so rare it would appear on an Arthur C Clarke program. Oh, ******, that really does show my age! Hahaha.

I think a few people will disagree with you there me being one im 20 not a boy racer and a lot of people aren't that I know we are just trying to get enough ncb to be able to afford our cars, but we have to pay a big sum to be able to get there me paying over £1000 to insure my Audi.