JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135

    Question S3 specific paint colours: Touch up stick availability

    Just went into my local Audi dealership to get a touch up stick as I have a tiny stone chip on the leading edge of the bonnet.

    Asked for Panther Black and after the part guy checked on the system I was promptly told; 'Audi don't seem to make one'

    You'd think as the colour had been out for well over a year it would be in circulation by now if it was possible to bottle it. It's a crystal paint effect, so maybe it can't be done as a touch up stick?

    Anyone else had any similar issues with bespoke S3 colours or exclusive paint effects?
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    How definite was their "seem"??

    Get a second opinion from stoke audi maybe?

  4. #3
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    How definite was their "seem"??

    Get a second opinion from stoke audi maybe?
    Good call; always worth a second opinion!

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    131
    Do you know how much these sticks cost?

    I too seem to have picked up a small stone chip on the front but mine is Ibis so I'm assuming a touch up stick won't prove to be elusive!
    Am I best getting one from Audi or simply going to everybody's favourite place...Halfords?

  6. #5
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by andywaddy View Post
    Do you know how much these sticks cost?

    I too seem to have picked up a small stone chip on the front but mine is Ibis so I'm assuming a touch up stick won't prove to be elusive!
    Am I best getting one from Audi or simply going to everybody's favourite place...Halfords?
    I paid about £12 for the touch kit from Audi. Includes the paint and clear coat.

  7. #6
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    Got a feeling it's just over a tenner, but that was dolphin grey pearlescent (last car) which came with lacquer in the kit. Might be cheaper for flat paint (Is Ibis flat?).

    Beat me to it Ads!

  8. #7
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Warren - If audi don't do a touch up kit for your colour, you fancy risking one of these???

    Touch Up Paint VW AUDI LZ9Z PANTHER BLACK: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

    VW AUDI LZ9Z PANTHERBLACK Stone Chip Paint Scratch kit | eBay


    If its a small enough chip then even if the colour is slightly off it won't be noticeable, and certainly less noticeable than the missing paint you've got at the moment.

  9. #8
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    Beat me to it Ads!

  10. #9
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Warren - If audi don't do a touch up kit for your colour, you fancy risking one of these???

    Touch Up Paint VW AUDI LZ9Z PANTHER BLACK: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

    VW AUDI LZ9Z PANTHERBLACK Stone Chip Paint Scratch kit | eBay


    If its a small enough chip then even if the colour is slightly off it won't be noticeable, and certainly less noticeable than the missing paint you've got at the moment.
    This is the seller!



    Do you think she's mixed it from various pots of nail varnish!

    As the paint cost a few bob I dare not risk it!

  11. #10
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    This is the seller!



    Do you think she's mixed it from various pots of nail varnish!

    As the paint cost a few bob I dare not risk it!
    She's put her full address on the ebay listing so if pink nail varnish turns up you know where to find her to kick her a*se!

    The item comes from this "company" ----> Car accessories, car security, spoilers, car seat covers, car alarms, car styling, body kits to buy online in UK and Ireland.
    I reckon the person who owns it is using his bird's ebay account to shift extra units.

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    267
    I had no problems getting an Imola Yellow touch up kit via my local VW dealer a while back. Think it was about a tenner?

  13. #12
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,122
    i would make a phone call to a paint specialist mate they can usually match any paint colour new or old (not halfrauds tho of course) we use them in work and they can nearly always match any paint maybe worth a punt if audi can't come up with the goods
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!


  14. #13
    Adam.'s Avatar
    Meow.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    651
    Have you tried phoning TPS?

  15. #14
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,135
    Just been in touch with an independent paint specialist who is mixing the colour from the paint code as a solvent based paint (Paint code LZ9Z). They didn't recommend getting it as water based as it could look cloudy. Just got to get a lacquer touch up stick and we're good to go once she's clean.

    If anyone gets stuck and can't get hold of one, let me know and I can order and post out. £11.24 for the paint touch up stick + P&P.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  16. #15
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    Just been in touch with an independent paint specialist who is mixing the colour from the paint code as a solvent based paint (Paint code LZ9Z). They didn't recommend getting it as water based as it could look cloudy. Just got to get a lacquer touch up stick and we're good to go once she's clean.

    If anyone gets stuck and can't get hold of one, let me know and I can order and post out. £11.24 for the paint touch up stick + P&P.
    glad you got one dude , i never buy from the dealers i always get my paint from a paint specialist they can normally always matchh it very well
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!


  17. #16
    RicoS3's Avatar
    Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    575
    Could be interested in a Sprint Blue one Warren. I've a hoor of chip on the bonnet and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    2010 Sprint Blue S3 Black Edition - Buckets & BBS CH Black's
    2008 Ibis White S3
    2006 Brilliant Black 2.0T S-Line Special Edition


  18. #17
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    This should do the trick, I have bought a genuine Merc touch up stick from them so it's the real deal. They also do a great 9ml size for Panther Black:

    VAG - Panther Metallic (Black) - LY9Z - Detailed item view - ZakParts

    I actually used a Ford metallic black touch up stick for a couple of tiny stone cips on shut lines and leading edges - you seriously would never know.
    Last edited by DaveyB; 13th January 2012 at 14:45.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Touch up Stick?
    By bluenose in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th April 2010, 19:41
  2. Which touch-up paint?
    By chris432626 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th February 2010, 12:47
  3. Paint Touch up
    By alinghi9 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th October 2009, 20:00
  4. Paint touch up
    By tjm69 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th April 2008, 21:26
  5. Touch Up Paint
    By necroeire in forum Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th February 2006, 11:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO