Chop my plates or not?

Pricy

Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread about this but I didn't want to jack the other thread with my car.

Anyway, I'm undecided whether I should chop down my plates (leaving a 2cm gap at either end, same as the gap at the bottom)

Thoughts?

IMG-20110929-00074.jpg

My only concern is it might look like a big rabbit tooth in the middle of the grille.

Reactions: mjr901
Well I think you know my answer LOL

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3.../142923-numberplate-trimming.html#post1458506

As long as you leave a minimum of 11mm plate at each side of your characters you will remain on the right side of the law. So your 20mm will be great. I chopped mine to 12mm. I used a Dremmel & a piece of sand paper to tidy up. I didn't tape mine either. Also have a few practice goes further out from your desired trim measurements.

Using the other plate as a template laid on top to draw around will get you the correct corners too.

A very easy free mod to stand out without using stupid fonts or borders to look different, just remember not to cut off any postcode or manufacturers name which I understand is a legal requirement that needs to be there.

Try it. Def do the back one, it looks good with a short plate.

I agree do it will look good. As said cheap subtle mod that stands out.
Sorry to hijack yours but thumbs up or down for doing mine?

53c849b9.jpg

Reactions: nally
Hmmm I'll give it a go tomorrow if I get a spare 10 mins and see how it looks!

get some pressed plates they are awsome look at my thread taking your plate off

Are pressed plates like the old silver on black plates & german plates made from metal. If so, they're not for me.

Draws even more attention to the fact it isn't spaced properly.

Draws even more attention to the fact it isn't spaced properly.

As long as there is 11mm between characters and 33mm between groups & 11mm margin round the edge they will be fine.

Looking at the pics T70 looks ok but Y14 looks a bit tight on the grouping, but so did mine and they meet the legal dimensions.

As long as there is 11mm between characters and 33mm between groups & 11mm margin round the edge they will be fine.

Looking at the pics T70 looks ok but Y14 looks a bit tight on the grouping, but so did mine and they meet the legal dimensions.

I'll have a measure tonight they better be second set from them now so if I get pulled I'm blaming them.

It's T7O though (an O not a zero) so it should be T7 OTP. I would say you'd be ok with the Y14 one though the 1 is a little compressed.

The T70 TP is most definitely illegal. Obviously the number is T7 OTP and it should be spaced accordingly.

None at all. I don't have the BSAU stamp or postcode either.

Traffics told me they were fine bar the stamp and post code missing and they ain't harming anyone so it's not worth the hassle of writing a ticket lol.

Happy days

Did they give you a ticket for parking on the yellow line instead? Lol :p

Well spotted on the illegal spacing guys, was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. :respekt:

However I had Mac, the big bald bloke from the sheffield police interceptors programme (if anyone watches it on channel 5, I know you all will) in the police Evo sat right behind me the other night and he didn't pull me!

Last edited:
Hey up Tom,

I had your plate full screen in photoshop and still didn't notice it LOL

Matti

I'm really new to car mods having only just bought my first car, but spending so much time using typography as a Graphic Designer I have to emplore you guys that chop the plates to ensure something. That the white space either end of the plate matches that of the space between the two sections of reg numbering. It genuinely looks odd when the space inbetween is large and that space at either side is very slim, matching the bottom and top. It looks way better this way IMO.

If you were to leave a little extra like the example below it looks SPOT ON......

Perfect_Chopped_Reg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really new to car mods having only just bought my first car, but spending so much time using typography as a Graphic Designer I have to emplore you guys that chop the plates to ensure something. That the white space either end of the plate matches that of the space between the two sections of reg numbering. It genuinely looks odd when the space inbetween is large and that space at either side is very slim, matching the bottom and top. It looks way better this way IMO.

Agree completely with that, I know exactly what you mean that's why I'm still in two minds.

I could soon Photoshop for you to see what its gonna look like...... Could save you a few quid on a new plate if you didn't like it.....

If you could mate that would be amazing. When I bought the plate I got them to put a double space between the first and second set of characters as I thought it would look a bit better so mine has a bigger space than the others posted on here.

If you were to leave a little extra like the example below it looks SPOT ON......

This is a reg plate not a webpage :p, it really does look fine with the ligislation 11/30/11mm IMO.