AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

2009 S3 S-tronic (DSG) and REVO Remap

Hi all,

I have searched this forum for ages regarding getting a 2009 S3 remapped to S1 by Revo. The problem I am having is that I keep reading horror stories about this map and spark plugs lasting a few thousand miles.

Admittedly these problems seem to be on later 8P3's (MY 11) however I cannot be sure these will not come up in a 2009. This is making me doubt whether a remap on an S tronic (DSG - Whatever you wanna call it) will be a good thing or just bring with it a load of problems. I have spoken to my local Revo dealer and whilst he says he hasnt had problems on any of the cars he has done, he has heard of the problems and again said it is Spark Plug related.

Please can someone reply to confirm if Revo is now ok on a 2009 S3 S-tronic? I just want this cleared up so I know where I stand.

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by Forbzeeee; 9th January 2012 at 19:37.
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 1, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs...
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Owner

Status
    I have stage 1 Revo on my 59 plate DSG S3 and I have had no problems, the map has been on the car for close on 18 months and the only work that has had to be done is routine servicing by Audi. Admittedly I do not drive the car that hard (the occasional foot down where the road permits etc) but I have no reason to suspect that I would encounter any problems if I did give it the beans any more than I do.
    You could try the trial map first to see how your car feels and then if your not happy with it then you can go elsewhere for an alternative (AMD, Shark performance etc)

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    The map for the 2009/10 cars was V9 and has no problems i know of ? Current cars use V10.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies guys, that's good news (for me and 2009 owners at least).

Taylorc, are you happy with the results?

Anyone else running revo stage 1 on a 2009 s3 with DSG? What are your experiences?

Thanks
    Now: 2009 S3 8P3 DSG. Mods: Revo Stage 1, Cruise control, LED interior lights upgrade, Rear DRLs...
    Previously: 2001 AMK S3, Silver, Revo Remap, Milltek DV, KW Springs & Shocks, H&R ARB.

Status
    2011 manual and it's great; love it

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    2011 manual and it's great; love it
    Yeah i bet you do Warren, I would too.

Anymore DSG Owners out there?

5th Gear

Status
    I'm getting mine remaped next month so watch this space:]
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Status
    2011 with DSG and its simply superb. 100% how the car should have been in the first place

1st Gear

Status
    I'll be running a 2011 S3 with DSG mapped to stage 1 by the end of the week....I'll be sure to report back

S3 Owner

Status
    Apologies for the delay .... anyhows, when I first had it done I was not that impressed as the car did not feel that different (plus I had not long come from a remapped Focus ST3 which has a massive difference between standard and stage 1) so I went back to my REVO dealer and we took the car out for a datalogging session so that he could safely increase the settings of the map (Boost, Timing and Fuelling).
    Once the settings had been increased I gave the car a few hundred miles to adapt and I can safely say that the car became much better as time went on, in my opinion I can only recommend REVO but from what I understand you would not be disapointed with a lot of the other tuning companies (AMD, Shark etc).
    Hope this helps

5th Gear

Status
    I wish I could afford jump on stage 2 straight away:/
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    2010 DSG S3 Revo S1 = Epic Win
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    2010 DSG S3 Revo S1 = Epic Win
    Silky, do you get any hesitation between gear changes when giving it beans? I am currently running the Revo Trial and the car seems to hesitate between gear changes as if there is turbo lag of approx 1 sec per gear change. This seems to defeat the quick slick gear changes of DSG.

Thoughts please?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbzeeee View Post
    Silky, do you get any hesitation between gear changes when giving it beans? I am currently running the Revo Trial and the car seems to hesitate between gear changes as if there is turbo lag of approx 1 sec per gear change. This seems to defeat the quick slick gear changes of DSG.

Thoughts please?
    No not at all mate, goes through the box like lightning. No hesitating at all. You checked for fault codes?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    There were no fault codes before the remap. Not been able to check since it left the garage :-(

Status
    Get it checked out.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Status
    TBH the trial software is not the proper remap so its not going to tell you a lot and could well have glitches.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    TBH the trial software is not the proper remap so its not going to tell you a lot and could well have glitches.
    So if I pay the £500 for the full software, you expect that this problem would disappear? Did you have a trial and if so how did it compare?

Status
    The trial only gives you partial tables.

It takes about an hour to load the full table set, and garages wouldn't be prepared to invest that kind of 'free' time to upload trial software where there was no guarantee of repeat business so they created a map with some basic parameter changes to give the owner a sense of what they could be getting (ironically these tables are probably the equivalent of what you could expect from a bedroom made / backstreet map for £150!)

After a period (2-3 hours) the code reverts to normal and your back where you started.

My issues with the trial are:

> Its great for people to try before you buy (who have no idea about maps), but cars take time to adapt, and the car could never adapt to a map in 2 hours to extract the maximum potential on offer

> too many people interpret the trial reflects the full on code; it doesn't. Probably 70-80% at max. I bet most people don't even run 98 RON with the trial code as many seem to run 95RON day to day which isn't the best to bring out the maps ulitmate potential. Ideally if you want to try the code I'd suggest running with 98RON for at least a week ahead of the trial so the ECU has time to settle to the new running parameters
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbzeeee View Post

Thoughts please?
    Just replied to your PM mate. Hope you get it sorted soon!
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers Warren, I had heard that this was the case.

I actually called Revo HQ today and explained the problem I was having and they said the same as you. Basically, it is not a full map as it is only a 5 hour trial. Because of this it is not as aggressive as a full map. I not sure who I spoke to at Revo but he also mentioned that the car and gearbox would need to adapt to the new ranges and that would take days, not hours.

Re ron, I always run on 98 as a minimum.

Thanks everyone who has helped me with this.

Oh and by the way, despite the small issue I am having the car is much much better throughout and a real pleasure to drive. A different beast with a remap and I am only on a trial.

6th Gear

Status
    Keep us posted and how you get on after the re-map if you go ahead with it. Hopefully it'll be the first and last time you get the hesitations!
    Coss

S3 S-tronic: Panther Black, lots of extras, MTM remap

1st Gear

Status
    Finally got around to getting my full Stage 1 revo remap and it is amazing.... Absolutely faultless and much better than the trial. The only problem now is that I have got the modding bug.

1st Gear

Status
    Had mine mapped in April and although it pulls hard there is a hint of throttle cutting when cruising above 100km/h at low revs.

Current: 2010 Audi S3 Sportback S-tronic
    Ex: 2007 Audi A3 Sportback - 2.0T DSG
    Ex: 2008 Opel Corsa OPC
    Ex: 2004 Opel Corsa Lite
    Ex: 1978 VW Beetle

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    it's amazing isn't it? i'm leaving my car on friday for a full stage2+ setup done by logging etc... can't wait for it. love how it transforms the car :D
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    it's amazing isn't it? i'm leaving my car on friday for a full stage2+ setup done by logging etc... can't wait for it. love how it transforms the car :D
    It'll be like chalk and cheese.....the car should have been like this when it left the factory.