Bad Engine Vibration just below 2000RPM

Leeecs

Reaction score
My 2.0TDi (57 plate 170 quattro) has started vibrate and shake just before the turbo kicks in.

If you are in 4th or 5th (you can do in the lower gears but more noticeable around 4th) and floor it around 1500RPM when it gets between 1700 and 2000 the engine shakes quite badly then as soon as it goes above 2000 it stops and is completely fine again.

If you accelerate slowly through that rev band its also completely fine, only really happens if you are hard on the gas. Its pretty scary overtaking or pulling on to motorway and the whole engine bay shakes like crazy for a few seconds.

As I say its only started doing it in the last few weeks and I asked Audi to take a look at its last service but they said they couldn't replicate the problem - though I don't think they even tried cuz its pretty easy to get the effect, just floor it in 4th.

Its bluefin remaped but had no problems with it in last 18months.

Any ideas, I think it might be turbo related but not really sure.

Cheers
Lee

Ok to answer my own question I just found this

A3 TDI PD injector loom issues - Audi Mag | VAGOC.co.uk

Looks pretty similar to what I'm experiencing. So if I have dodgy wiring looms is this a sign that my car might just completely die on me one when accelerating hard one day?

Any ideas how much we are looking to get this fixed? I'm out of warranty but would it be classed as a known fault?

Gotta be a 'goodwill' item from Audi. No way a car that young should be failing like that. Remember when VAG had a reputation for reliability!

Best of luck with the main dealer

Good morning. I am new to the forum but I am currently experiencing exactly the same problem in my VW golf VI (2.0TDI, 140cv, 4motion) but in a different rev range.

If I floor it between 2000RPM and 2400RPM I feel a lot of vibration from the engine compartment and (if more torque is required like drive up a hill) I can see some judder on the some loose items inside the car.
It happens in almost all the gears (from 3rd to 6th) but it hard to note it if I drive on 3rd or 4th. If driving up a hill its easy to feel in 5th and 6th.

In the last service I asked VW guys to check it by they also reported that could not replicate the problem..... I think they didn't try or didn't try properly...

Because it happens always in the same revs range I believe it's related to engine or gear box.
By reading to your description I would say that we have exactly the same problem.

Did you discover the problem? and solution?

Thank you

You both have AWD. I had this or something similar on my A3 170 Quattro with only 26k on the clock.

Check out this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-55reg-quattro-load-vibrating-at-2-thousands-revs.90735/

I would put money on it being the front doughnut shaped rubber coupling on the front propshaft.
You can buy an aftermarket piece to to replace it rather than the full propshaft Audi will say they can only supply.

My was fixed under warranty luckily. Once fixed the vibrations vanished. If its coming in around the 2k mark thats exactly same symptoms i had.

Reactions: -DTM-
Thank you very much for the link.

That's exactly what I feel.It is indeed between 2k and 2.5k rpm so I think you are spot on.
I will try to replace the rubber coupling rather than the full propshaft as you suggested.
Still don't know when I have the job done but I will post the results afterwards.

Keep us updated. Usually a visual inspection will confirm if it is the rubber coupling. Mine was split and causing the propshaft to vibrate against the metal around 2k and most noticeable in 4/5 and 6th gear.

Spot on....
The mechanics thought the back coupling had some play and suggested replacement but according to my gut feeling (after read the posts above) the front coupling should be replaced.
So I ordered front and back couplings from Febi and had them changed.

It's perfect now. Looks like a new car :):)
(I cannot see any damage in the old ones though)

Thank you very much for the tips....

Could anyone show what the front and back coupling you are talking about? Is it the harmonic Balancer aka crankshaft damper?

Could anyone show what the front and back coupling you are talking about? Is it the harmonic Balancer aka crankshaft damper?
Quattro vehicles have a prop shaft, thus each respective end has a harmonic balancer which is the coupling.

Thanks for the answer. My car is not quattro. But I have a similar vibration at 70-85khp at 5th and 6th gear.