Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Thumbs down Seat belt and lights behaviour in accident

Hi All,

I've got a 58 plate S3 Sportback and coming home from work on the M4 on Thursday night (after I'd had the car a little under 3 weeks!) somebody slammed into the back of it. Damage doesn't appear to be severe:

The reason that I'm posting is that I was a bit alarmed at how the car behaved in the accident so thought I'd share in case anybody is unlucky enough to find themselves in the same situation.

The accident was fairly standard motorway stuff - I was in lane 3 doing about 70mph when somebody further up the road braked hard for some reason forcing all of the cars behind to do the same. All of the cars in front of me were modern BMW's and Audi's, the car behind me was a 1992 Toyota Starlet - no prizes for guessing which car failed to stop.

The Toyota hit me hard enough to trigger some of the Audi's accident responses - it cut off the fuel, fired the seat belt pretensioner on the driver's seat belt, switched on the hazard lights and unlocked the doors. Thankfully it didn't trigger any of the airbags. This all seems sensible enough but left me with a couple of problems. The seat belt pretensioner pulls you so tightly back into the seat that you can't breathe and hence your natural reaction is to unbuckle the seat belt - the seat belt is now deceased and cannot be used again (I don't know if this is normal or a fault). The second problem was that I could not turn off the hazard lights - I pressed the hazard lights button many times to no effect, tried holding the button (this makes the hazards flash faster) and turned the ignition off and on several times but nothing changed (they are off now so I can only presume that there is some kind of timer in control).

By the time that I had given up on the seat belt and lights the traffic in lanes 1 and 2 was travelling at a fair speed again which left me with the fun task of getting from lane 3 to the hard shoulder across two fast moving lanes of traffic in a car with no functioning seat belt or indicators - this almost certainly put me at a greater risk of injury than the original accident!

Anyway, my (completely unprofessional) advice to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation would be:
    1. If possible, do not unbuckle the seat belt until you are on the hard shoulder.
    2. Don't waste your time trying to turn off the hazard lights
    3. In the moments immediately after the accident all 3 lanes will be virtually stationary - catch your breath, turn the ignition back on and get your a** over to the hard shoulder.

Hopefully none of you will ever need to follow this!

One positive note - my insurance company has sent me a brand spanking new Peugeot RCZ to use while they are repairing the S3!

Jason

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Just discovered that the passenger seat belt is also jammed solid so presumably the pretensioner fired in that as well even though it wasn't in use which seems a little odd. Oh well, that will be 2 replacement seat belts needed then!

Status
    Glad you are OK, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Im guessing the system is set that if you get hit as hard as you did it assumes you may not be moving on so quickly. Not ideal when you have to make it across 2 lanes.

Best get it onto computer / VCDS to see what's what. Keep us informed; cheers, W
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Meow.

Status
    Seatbelts will be done and you will need new ones.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    Glad you are OK, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Im guessing the system is set that if you get hit as hard as you did it assumes you may not be moving on so quickly. Not ideal when you have to make it across 2 lanes.

Best get it onto computer / VCDS to see what's what. Keep us informed; cheers, W
    Thanks, it's being picked up tomorrow morning and for some reason they are taking it to Portsmouth to repair it. If I get a chance I'll scan it with VCDS just for curiosity - I suspect it will throw up a LOT of errors!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
    Seatbelts will be done and you will need new ones.
    Yes, that was what I figured. It's just a shame that we can't have seatbelts that protect us in an accident but still provide some basic protection afterwards.

events moderator

Status
    first things first glad no one got hurt in the accident, my work mate had a terrible accident on a motorway he was stationary in traffic and someone hit him full force at 70mph from the rear car was of course a complete write off as you can imagine but the safety devices saved his life a testament to modern car design and safety systems
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    They used to say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing in the aircraft circles......Same goes for accidents !! Glad you are safe mate and thanks for the heads up re: accidents.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    Great accident info might I say .... Who was at fault in the end ? and is it going through your insurance?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    first things first glad no one got hurt in the accident, my work mate had a terrible accident on a motorway he was stationary in traffic and someone hit him full force at 70mph from the rear car was of course a complete write off as you can imagine but the safety devices saved his life a testament to modern car design and safety systems

Totally agree - we are fortunate enough to have a staggering amount of protection in a modern car which is often taken for granted. It must be an impossible task to set these systems up to work in the best way in all situations and the priority has to be protecting the occupants of the car during the accident, not worrying about whether things work after the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    They used to say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing in the aircraft circles......Same goes for accidents !! Glad you are safe mate and thanks for the heads up re: accidents.
    Thanks, ultimately walking away from any accident is all that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by digzz View Post
    Great accident info might I say .... Who was at fault in the end ? and is it going through your insurance?
    Technically the accident only involved myself and the Toyota since we were the only vehicles to make contact - I stopped and the Toyota didn't so it's viewed as a pretty straightforward accident with full responsibility on the Toyota. My insurance company (Quote Me Happy) have passed it to one of these dodgy no fault accident handling companies who currently seem to be trying to spend as much money as possible - the hire car they provided is being charged to the insurer's at 200 quid a day!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Thats weird for passengers but logical in the same thought, but tell me, does your car have seatbelt warning fitted, as then it would have seat occupancy sensor & I wonder if then it would detect if the passenger seat is not in use & thus not fired the tensioner for that side.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Thats weird for passengers but logical in the same thought, but tell me, does your car have seatbelt warning fitted, as then it would have seat occupancy sensor & I wonder if then it would detect if the passenger seat is not in use & thus not fired the tensioner for that side.
    I've just checked this - there is a seatbelt warning light on the dash but I think it only checks the drivers seat. If I fasten the drivers seatbelt so the light goes out and then sit on the passenger seat with no seatbelt on the light doesn't come back on. If there is no sensor for the passenger seatbelt that would explain why it had to fire the tensioners for both sides.

While I was in there I ran a quid VCDS scan - this is rather more red text than I like to see:

Most of the faults seem to be just logged events of action taken during the accident ("Crash - Engine Shut-Down Activated", "Crash Data from Belt Tensioner Stored", etc.) so I'm not too concerned.

For anybody interested in such things the full log is here (ignore the radio errors - I fitted the original stereo back in so all of the coding is wrong):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10357287/Log...km-27116mi.txt

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If there is no actual wire on the passenger seat belt clip, then it wont have seat belt warning & thus no occupancy sensor.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

"Started From The Bottom"

Status
    It's amazing how the ECU in Audi's act when there in an accident. It's very interesting , And the Fact it shuts the engine Down and even keeps Crash data for an Audi crash investigator.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    It's common for the recoil part of the belt to lock so the belt length stays the same when you undo it. I'm not sure if it's mechanical or acted by a pyro (I guess the latter) so something will need changed in the b-pillar too.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, I have managed to rescue my mate's Audi S3 Seatbelt after the passenger side airbag/pre-tensioner fired randomly whilst driving normally! You need to strip off the side trim in the back, unbolt the seatbelt unit (17mm bolt) and lift slightly to get it away from the car. Give the unit a shake and you will hear the rattle of a lot ball bearings. These are the physical locking mechanism....

Next job is to remove the loose bearings by unscrewing the only phillips screw on the unit (on the shiny metal block on top of the seatbelt reel) prise the metal tabs off and get your hands ready to catch a load of big steel balls! You now need to prise off the plastic cap on the side of the reel unit (easily done with a flat screwdriver) which reveals a load of small plastic cogs. Just below this mechanism you will find the final ball bearing which will be in a small plastic holder with a little door on the side. Discard this ball and low and behold it will now allow you to pull the belt out again. The seatbelt will now function like a traditional inertia reel belt (locking with sudden jerks).

This will allow you to get mobile again at least enough to get it properly sorted for optimum safety. There is no way to reset the pre-tensioner, the only way to sort that out is to replace the unit.

1st Gear

Status
    Finally, after an agonisingly slow 4 weeks spent driving a Peugeot, it's back . Complete with shiny new rear end and working seat belts. Just in time for the snow!

Cheers all for the tips and support after the accident

One last question on the subject - am I going mad or have they stuck the S3 badge back on in completely the wrong place?

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Yep, thats way too high mate! Hows the colour match with the bumper and wings?
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Should be here like on your last photos:

S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky-S3 View Post
    Yep, thats way too high mate! Hows the colour match with the bumper and wings?
    That's what I thought! Apart from the badge position I can't really fault the work - the colour match is perfect, I'd be amazed if anybody could tell it's not the original bumper.