Would you put this back on your car??

lil_coz

Reaction score
A mate of mine ran out of talent and hit a curb fairly hard and got a crack in his wheel. He said that until he buys a new one, he's going to swap it with a wheel on the back. I advised against it. Would you put it back on your car?

402403_10150474966356299_512321298_8959344_958298072_n.jpg

Not just me then! I wouldn't trust a nackered wheel with a ton and a bit of metal sitting on it, with all the potholes around, and the forces that go through a wheel.

I'd rather take the bus until it gets sorted!

I cant emphasise how much he needs to ditch that wheel !! Its not just his life but whoever he hits as well.
I would go so far as to report him if he fits that.... mate or no mate..

Doubt it will hold air anyway and no garage is going to fit a tube to that. why do people buy cheap re-pop wheels .
Nat...talk some ****** sense in to this guy :)

the wheels and tyres are the only thing connecting his 'nice' car to the road, if there are issues there then he wont stay on the road for long :(
tell him to be responsible before he hurts himself and others... no one likes to go to funerals

In the process of it! TBH he's more of an acquaintance. He says he'll take it easy but that just is not the point. I've told him to put any wheel on there but he wants one the same size. Surely having an odd wheel on is better than a cracked one?!

It should worry us all that many will not have access to a Forum for advice, or have any common sense, or are so tight that this wheel would be fitted and our lives placed in danger.
Forgive the slight deviation form topic, but maybe it's because of the desperate ( for some ) fiscal climate, it seems that at night every 5th car has only one headlight illuminated ( I flash my high beam at them every time then get exhausted doing it so often ). I have NEVER made a night trip recently without encountering this. Perhaps with headlight units costing £100 or more and the days of rummaging in scrap yard ( most are too dam lazy to do even that ) one should not be surprised.

How is he going to take it easy ??? even ploughing into the bus cue at 20mph on three wheels is going to kill people.

It should worry us all that many will not have access to a Forum for advice, or have any common sense, or are so tight that this wheel would be fitted and our lives placed in danger.
Forgive the slight deviation form topic, but maybe it's because of the desperate ( for some ) fiscal climate, it seems that at night every 5th car has only one headlight illuminated ( I flash my high beam at them every time then get exhausted doing it so often ). I have NEVER made a night trip recently without encountering this. Perhaps with headlight units costing £100 or more and the days of rummaging in scrap yard ( most are too dam lazy to do even that ) one should not be surprised.

Nearer a £1000 for a xenon adaptive S3 unit !!

I wouldn't roll on that full stop. Makes you wonder what goes through people's heads. If it fails and god forbid kills or mames someone it will ruin his whole life.

Reactions: PhilPD
tbh the balance alone must be so far out it it is going to wear out componants very quick, I have to agree it is dangerous and could cave anytime if hit a large pot hole even at a slow speed, not to mention the wall will break the seal and let air out.

hell no not worth smashing you car up for a £200 wheel. then your insurance would be void anyway

tbh the balance alone must be so far out it it is going to wear out componants very quick

That's a good point, you can see that the wheel is bent out of shape too so the balancing will be way out! Apparently he only spotted the wheel yesterday (God knows when the 'incident' happened), but he went to get the tracking sorted after the bump, and that's when he spotted the crack.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is, that's the INSIDE of the wheel! Ploughing into a curb would be the outside no? :think:

is he serious..!!! if so give him a slap and knock some sense into him, if he dont kill himself when it cracks in half he'll end up in an accident and hurt/kill someone else!! i wouldnt even but this back on my car if it had been welded up!! do the bloke a favour and chuck it in the bin... thats what spare's are for!!!

Must be retarded. He needs to get the bus.

tbh the wheel looks cheap and nasty good oppertunity to change them

I've ran plenty of wheels that have had welds in. NEVER EVER had one leak. If you want it sorting. PM me.
have you really Nate? not in a omg thats dangerous way as opposed a discerning guy who wouldnt leave the house with dirty alloys LOL (a welded repair can be a solid repair :thumbsup:) . As per OP, not a chance would i use that wheel even if it held air.

:uhm: let me think.............................. he must a :tocktock:

Looks like Fred Flintstones spare wheel mate with that big flat spot in it .if i was you i would take it down your local scrap yard and weigh it in 'its not worth your and some poor persons life bin it.:banghead:

Tell him to fit the spare and to stop being a moron.

Welding rims is perfectly fine as long as it's a good quality repair and balances up okay. We have a Range Rover come into our place and 2 of the wheels have been welded with no issues

The problem is the damage you can't see....if it is that damaged on the outside, there is bound to be other damage which can't be seen and seriously compromises the integrity of the entire wheel !!!

Definately shouldn't drive on it for his sake and everyone else's.

I had a quote just before xmas for a weld repair on a M/C wheel. Nearly £180 so i can hardly think an old Celica wheel is going to be worth repairing even if they could at a price. to do the job properly it needs to be stripped/blasted, x-rayed, straightened, welded, cleaned up,balanced, primed and painted and re balanced. Its a £20 wheel *** :)

I wouldn't even have that sitting with air in it never mind fitted to my car.

The problem is the damage you can't see....if it is that damaged on the outside, there is bound to be other damage which can't be seen and seriously compromises the integrity of the entire wheel !!!

Exactly! I'm sure that you can have a proper weld job done, but if it was me in that situation, for piece of mind, I'd always buy a new one!

I just found it that the incident happened 3 weeks ago!! Granted he only saw the crack the other day, but ****** hell! I'd be counting my lucky stars! Thing could have let go at any point! :sadlike:

Shows you what kind of abuse cars can take; driving on that for 3 weeks must have felt like driving with a square wheel!

I worry when I see loads of cars on road with bald tyres, proves some folk can happily put up with anything. We get seizures at the odd hesitation!

[SUP][/SUP]Take it to a alloy wheel repairer no probs I've done loads over the years