Badger5AH Fabrications
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Imminent RNS-E Install...

1st Gear

Status

Imminent RNS-E Install...

Hi all,
    I've bought an August 2011 RNS-E which I'm tentatively going to attempt to fit to my May 2011 A3 Black Edition this Saturday. My car has Bose, Bluetooth phone prep, glovebox USB and rear parking sensors. To say I'm nervous about this retrofit is an understatement so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated as I suspect I will be buying the services of someone to get my car reprogrammed at some point! I live in Baxenden, BB5 2xx area in Lancashire so would love any suggestions of any relevant VCDS coders out there that live/work locally...
    Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by XXXCorps; 6th January 2012 at 08:58.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hi peter if your unsure about fitting it get a member to fit and code it in for you ,, i always do...
    XXXCorps and dobbysline like this.

Status
    Nigel, user NHN may be just the guy your looking for.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    It will need some wiring changes & coding to make it work fully, so as advised, someone who 1st knows what they're doing & 2nd has the tools to complete the job for you.

Give me a shout if my services are of use.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Where are you based Nigel?

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Nige is in Kent but travels
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Nige is in Kent but travels
    Thanks for that Paddy; I'm in Lancashire so quite a few miles away from there unfortunately...

5th Gear

Status
    Jonny (username jb0o) lives in Cleveland, and he is a well known Audi retrofitter with his own business. He'll be a bit closer for you. PM him.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    I'm in Manchester and can install and code if needed.
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    I'm in Manchester and can install and code if needed.
    Wesley you may just be the lifesaver I need; could you possibly PM your number etc; I'll do the same now...

1st Gear

Status
    Just want to say thanks for comments and messages guys on this issue; Wesley is kindly doing the install and coding for me tomorrow so crisis averted!! :-)

Status
    Top bloke endless coffees

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXCorps View Post
    Hi all,
    I've bought an August 2011 RNS-E which I'm tentatively going to attempt to fit to my May 2011 A3 Black Edition this Saturday. My car has Bose, Bluetooth phone prep, glovebox USB and rear parking sensors. To say I'm nervous about this retrofit is an understatement so any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated as I suspect I will be buying the services of someone to get my car reprogrammed at some point! I live in Baxenden, BB5 2xx area in Lancashire so would love any suggestions of any relevant VCDS coders out there that live/work locally...
    Thanks,
    Peter
    I fitted a RNSE (September 2011) to my car just over a week ago (to my 2011 a3 s line).

At first I found it quite simple to remove the radio - Fittings off the cables can be abit fiddly though! After installing the unit, I marked my chrome trim very slightly above the hazard button (so be careful not to rest the RNSE on there as it will damage it).

My car seems to be working fine without the coding, it has instructions on the DIS and the MFSW works like it use to. However the AUX is no longer working.. which was a downfall but i've decided not to have it coded.

One mistake I did make though was the GPS cable goes at the top of the RNSE unit at the back (blue slot).. I was putting it in the radio one :/ Oh and after you position yourself on the map.. it may tend to go off course for 5 - 10 miles, then it calibrates itself and works perfectly.

With you having bose though, I'm sure I read something about a pin having to be changed?!
    Hope this helps
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    I posted up a small guide on my thread... Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser89 View Post
    Ok guys...

So I got a bit bored at home today so decided to install my MK2 RNSe and its so good compared to my MK1 (This is for sale now, PM if interested)

Here are a few pics of the install:

Old Concert out and loom/aerial unplugged

---

My old GPS aerial about to go in

---

If you look closely, there is a hole in the top of the dash where I mounted the GPS. There is a little ledge up and slightly to the left.

---

GPS installed and the excess wire is cable-tied and "cloth taped" to the original loom to make it look as OEM as possible.

---

As I have BOSE I need to swap the BOSE pin in the blue block.

---

The BOSE pin was originally in pin 5 and needs to be relocated to pin 7. Unfortunately one of the AUX pin outs is already in pin 7, so I removed that and will relocate it to its correct pin outs when I install AMI

---

You can now see that the brown wire which is BOSE has now been relocated

---

Here is the brand spanking new RNSE MK2

---

Here is the unit all plugged back in

---

All that was needed was to install Navigation (37) in Can Gateway (19), activate telephone on the RNSe and change the splash screen to S3 (Because it looks coooooool - ha)

---

Now I just gotta fill this up with some music

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks again for the posts there; they're incredibly helpful and informative... :-)

1st Gear

Status
    Just wanna say again a very very big thanks to Wesley for fitting and coding my RNS-E; you were great fella and looking forward to hooking up again sometime...
    Kelza likes this.
    2013 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI S Line Black Edition. Misano Red.
    Amplified Black Package. Comfort Package. Technology Package. Heated Seats.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/xxxcorps/media/photo1_zps1e5c9a3f.jpg.html

Status
    Leds next lol ...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXCorps View Post
    Just wanna say again a very very big thanks to Wesley for fitting and coding my RNS-E; you were great fella and looking forward to hooking up again sometime...
    Im wanting to do exactly the same - can you point me in the right direction? Im from County Durham so looking for a northerner who knows the ways...

Im tempted to try it myself but dont want to muck up my brand new A3 Black Edition...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmrqwq View Post
    Im wanting to do exactly the same - can you point me in the right direction? Im from County Durham so looking for a northerner who knows the ways...

Im tempted to try it myself but dont want to muck up my brand new A3 Black Edition...
    Pm nigel, user NHN. He is top guy and he travels as well. x

Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmrqwq View Post

jb0o is in Hartlepool ( see post #8 ) and does this sort of thing for a living. He will soon sort you out. Send him a PM.

1st Gear

Status
    I went from a BNS5.0 Navigation head unit to the latest RNS-E model - do i need to recode and wire swap? I have BOSE - all appears to be working

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well yes depending on what year & if any adapters used, wire swap maybe needed, coding for sure will need to be checked & changed accordingly.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Well yes depending on what year & if any adapters used, wire swap maybe needed, coding for sure will need to be checked & changed accordingly.
    Right - old unit was made in 2010 new one in 2012 and car is a MY11. I simply plugged all the various connections into the right places. I did have to turn down the bass setting on the new unit - it was just too overpowering.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Still needs coding checking tbh, does it have a dsp menu under sound

5th Gear

Status
    NHN dont know if N8 got hold of you, as i meet up with him yesterday but I have two error (see below) and i also noticed that the Bose cable was still in pin 5. do you think my errors will go if i can relocate the Bose wire. i take it the grey wire is the aux? the car is MY11/12 if that helps

2 Faults Found:
    00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
    007 - Short to Ground
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100111
    Fault Priority: 5
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 53
    Mileage: 2112 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.06.06
    Time: 13:08:02

02005 - Coding Pin
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100100
    Fault Priority: 5
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 53
    Mileage: 2112 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.06.06
    Time: 13:08:02

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes if you have Bose then move wire which then requires codes cleared & will lose the coding pin error, the antenna error is because you have retro'd rns in a post late 06 car & needs antenna fix for it aswell, which I can do when you have the audiopilot sorted out & light pack, if still needed that is

1st Gear

Status
    Still needs coding checking tbh, does it have a dsp menu under sound
    Yup DSP->GALA

VCDS should be with me next week I'm just not sure about the wire swapping bit ...

5th Gear

Status
    yep still looking for the door handle LED's, audiopilot and footwell lights. What you think the causing the antenna error?
    when you going to N8's next or up manchester way?
    will move the Bose wire, when i can get it out, i though they just clipped out of the housing, any tips?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeap so needs coding.

VCDS next week, did I sell it to you, if so, sorry if I dont recognise your username

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bloblob2 View Post
    yep still looking for the door handle LED's, audiopilot and footwell lights. What you think the causing the antenna error?
    when you going to N8's next or up manchester way?
    will move the Bose wire, when i can get it out, i though they just clipped out of the housing, any tips?
    The post late 06 cars use different antenna system, which needs upgrading to make radio 100% compatible with rns-e which I do often for rns upgrades.

I'll be up there soonish mate, just working/family away atm, but when back I'll be up there straight away.

Yeah remove 12 pin housing from quad, then with small screwdriver, oush the little locating clip down & pull the 009 wire out & push into the correct pin, taking note if 7 is connected, then its the aux in that needs to be removed anyway which is wired different on rns-e & you should remove all 3 auxin wires not leave plugged in.

5th Gear

Status
    All 3, which ones are those? grey, green and ?
    i'll wait till you you come up north lad, would rather get it right
    Can you pm me a price, so that i can sort my funds out. hoping to get this sorted or the rsne is going, as the sound can go quiet sh*te
    Last edited by rOb_A; 19th August 2012 at 10:10.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes I'll PM this afternoon if thats ok as gotta go out now

1st Gear

Status
    Yeap so needs coding.

VCDS next week, did I sell it to you, if so, sorry if I dont recognise your username
    Yup Garry - paid on Friday ...

5th Gear

Status
    Yes I'll PM this afternoon if thats ok as gotta go out now
    that would be great lad, enjoy the day

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    Yup Garry - paid on Friday ...
    Aha I thought so, sorry mate so many usernames, cant remember them all

5th Gear

Status
    don't forget me NHN fella

5th Gear

Status
    Hello NHN, pm me lad

Reverse Gear

Status
    Im still 50/50 on getting the RNS considering the number of reported thefts and the difficulty in finding one at a reasonable price which isnt nicked (one ebay seller told me that a "couple of scrapes on the casing are to be expected when the unit is withdrawn" - needless to say I havent purcahsed from him!). If I can find one at a reasonable price and even someone to fit it in the north east then I might well go ahead!

Fossie

Status
    jb0o (forum member) is your man - based in Sunderland I think. Send him a PM.

Reverse Gear

Status
    When I work out how to I shall! Does he supply units?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast