What, exactly, is "a driver's car"?

• Thread starter imported_TuffLittleUnit
  • Start date
I

imported_TuffLittleUnit

Why do BMW owners always talk about their cars being "driver's cars"? What exactly does this mean?

As per a previous post, I've currently got an E90 320D SE to evaluate and I don't like it that much. It's not that it's bad, in fact it's quite good, it's just not "special" in the way that so many BMW fans and auto enthusiasts seem to suggest (whatcar.com give the BMW 5 stars then downgrade the Audi's for their cost - explain please!).

So, when a BMW driver talks about "a driver's car" I can only assume that they mean:

1. it needs to be driven aggressively all the time (at the expense of everyone else on the road/pavement and the law of the land)

or

2. if you don't have a BMW then you don't know how to drive (hey, I know my indicator means "I'd like to turn please" rather than "move, I'm important")

I notice that Audi/VW driver's tend to revere the Quattro variants and (dare I say) Porsche's but they don't attach twee little labels. Oh, and to date I've never owned a BMW or an Audi so no prejudice.

(Peugeot 405 > Rover 620i > Renault Megane Coupe > Toyota Celica VVTi > Volvo S60 ... the Celica and S60 have been fantastic, the rest were c r a p)

When choosing my car I test drove the 1 series......" a drivers car". According to the figures the 2.0 D was a hell of a lot faster than the Audi equivilant. Well i tested this out and never really felt the benifit.

I think people get carried away with BMW's and at the time of testing had no allegences to either brand. However, Once I had driven these cars there was only one winner. Every time I see a 1 series hassling me to move over on the fast lane of the M62 I smile to myself (actually I have noticed that both Golf and BMW drivers are the worst for this, maybe they know they made the wrong choice too). I know I made the right choice, because 2 months after getting my car I absolutely love driving it. It just gets better as it gets looser and Its the only car I have ever wanted to clean....honest gov! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Quite simply a drivers car is one which has been built with and drives with, the driver in mind at all times.

[ QUOTE ]
Quite simply a drivers car is one which has been built with and drives with, the driver in mind at all times.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and may I add, his "enjoyment". It is such a subjective notion... (almost as subjective as colour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

But generally speaking the term refers to an automobile which is relatively raw: little comfort, but lots of communication between machine and man. In that definition, an Ariel Atom is more of a driver's car than a AMG CL 65.

I reckon an Ariel Atom is the ultimate drivers car IMO. Wow that thing is a little special what a car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No not for all out thrill and back to basics nothing touches it!

[/ QUOTE ]

For road and track use I think the Lotus Elise has got to be included in the 'best' list.

There's a lot of 'snobbery' by journalists who think that a car can't be good unless its rear wheel drive. It's good to see the new golf Gti getting good reviews though.

The 1 series, so far, is a womens car. Haven't seen a bloke in one yet. (maybe the 130i will change that)

1 Series is aweful, anotyher Bangle f**k up!!!

VAG all the way, FWD & 4WD... The work of the devil hehehehe

New RS4 rock on!!!

What is a driver's car? Well, it's not an Audi unfortunately, and neither is it diesel-powered. I know this because my Sportback has the 2.0TDI engine!

Mark_N summed it up nicely in his post above - it's a driver-focused machine, where other niceties such as comfort and visibility are lower down the development priority order than things like steering feel and throttle response.

But opinion is totally subjective, and many drivers won't know what it really is. For example, my mother drives a new Ford Ka which I strongly-rate as a driver's car, but she just thinks it looks nice, is easy to park and is very economical...

[ QUOTE ]
For example, my mother drives a new Ford Ka which I strongly-rate as a driver's car

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that, looks like a baby with a sh*tty nappie, but absoloute blast to dive at 100%.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll second that, looks like a baby with a sh*tty nappie

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you must have some ugly kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet anyway matey....

But I was refering to the rear end of the Ka.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, what about a TVR Sagaris or Tuscan 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever driven a TVR in the wet? Thorougly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif frightening.... but excellent view of where you've just been/where you're going/where you've just been/where you're going...crunch.

Eeef, no TVR owner would drive their TVR in the wet, they all have vans for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, what about a TVR Sagaris or Tuscan 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever driven a TVR in the wet? Thorougly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif frightening.... but excellent view of where you've just been/where you're going/where you've just been/where you're going...crunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Years ago when I had a 306 GTI 6, I regularly got passed by a chimera 4 / 5 ltr on my way to / from work. Great sounding cars. This particular day it was wet and I decided to have a go, oh how surprised I was when down the straights he passed me, and then under breaking and on the roundabouts I passed him again. It was quite bizarre at the time. He was staightlining the roundabout and I still had enough time to take him on which ever side I felt like.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do BMW owners always talk about their cars being "driver's cars"? What exactly does this mean?

As per a previous post, I've currently got an E90 320D SE to evaluate and I don't like it that much. It's not that it's bad, in fact it's quite good, it's just not "special" in the way that so many BMW fans and auto enthusiasts seem to suggest (whatcar.com give the BMW 5 stars then downgrade the Audi's for their cost - explain please!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Be interested to see what you think of your sportback when it arrives tuff. I had exactly the same opinion of my 320D SE but when the audi arrived I was gutted at the traction, handling and "feel" etc. Obviously its all a distant memory now and I'm quite happy again, but the first few days were very depressing.

sod the stigma - get whichever car you think is best. There are plenty of people who think that you're a flash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif for driving an Audi. Carry on like that and you'll be catching a bus!

I very nearly bought a 330 coupe Sport instead of my R32 but it wouldn't fit in my garage. They are a lovely car, fast, smooth, economical (compared to my R anyway) and entertaining handling with the traction control disabled.