Turbo + cold starts

sting3rr

Reaction score
How do you all treat your turbo engines from cold? I've been trying to let mine at least get to engine operating temp before using much of the turbo, but most of my journeys are like 4 miles each way so it barely reaches temp by the time i get to destination, and by the time i drive it home its lost all the temp again. Which means i dont get to play with the power much!

You are doing the right thing. You are missing one part though:

The part that you should take the car out at least once a week, warm it up and give it warp 10 for 15 mins. Side affect will be the grin..

I just wait till i see the temprature gauge move up a fraction, then brake out the heavy foot!

It's the oil that needs to be upto temp, not the coolant. The oil takes 5 mins or so longer than coolant to warm up. Only when the oil is upto temp should you cane it. Sorry, when the oil is upto temp you MUST cane it :D

yeah, thats what i thought. Means 90% of my journeys i have to drive slow:( I think the modern turbo engines have been designed with more practicality in mind though- surely they expect people to use the turbo all the time especially on smaller ones like the 1.2 and 1.4tfsi.

After starting i wait 30 seconds or so before moving off, i also allow 30 seconds idle before switching off, apparantly this lets the turbo slow down and allows the oil to return to the engine

Yeah i let it warm up before i give it any, as for a cool down i tend to drive slower when i know im reaching my destination (under 1700rpm), hence avoiding using much of the turbo and thus cooling it down :yes: this way i dont have to sit in my car for like a minute.

I only start planting the right foot when my oil temp reading (through the DIS) is reading around the 85deg mark...usually takes around 10-15mins to reach that point.
And like above, if I've had a hard run out I'll either use the last two minutes of my journey to cool the engine down or let the engine idle on the driveway for a minute or so.

How do you check the oil temp through the DIS? Wasnt aware you could do that!

Scroll through the menu pages until you see the one that says "check" on it, select this and then you get 3 options - oil temp, VIN and service.