New (to me) S3 advice please.

5ean

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon all, got my S3 2 months ago to the day and my clutch has started slipping :( Now i've got 3 months dealer warranty which i've already had to use to get the top mount bush replaced due to creaking..

I need to read the sales reciept and in particular anything about the warranty cover its self, and then speak to the place i bought it from. Pretty sure they are going to tell me to take a run and jump but am i within my rights to ask for the clutch to be replaced?

Dont fancy spending 700 quid on a new one just after xmas to be honest!

Car has just done 54000 miles, but new engine was put in before i got the car by Perth Audi. I would have thought when the new engine went in they would have seen the clutch was nearing EOL?

Cheers

Sean

Sean try and get a new one under warrenty as it would be more like 1 k + to buy it yourself plus fitting...

Rather than looking at the warranty, try using Sales of Goods Act..

Sachs clutch and new genuine LUK flywheel. got mine fully fitted.

£800.

is the car mapped? standard clutches don't last very long after a map...

Nope not mapped.. Was looking at until now! Gonna give the garage a phone after work and see what they say.. Any quotes in particular from the sales of good act i should familiarise myself with Box500??

I'd be asking why it had a new engine fitted.

Here is a letter I have used with a lot of success under the sales of goods act just change the relevant bits to suit your needs.

Dear Mr X

I purchased an Xbox 360 games console from your store in December 2006, as a Christmas present for my family. On 24th January 2008 the DVD drive on the console started to make grinding and clicking noises and refused to read any discs at all.

I contacted your store on 25th January to ask what remedial action [your store] were prepared to take as, in my opinion, the console had broken down within an unreasonable timescale, ie just over 1 year after the date of purchase. I spoke to 2 different people in the store, a female and a male, who told me he was acting as manager in your absence. Both told me that your store has a 1-year warranty policy and as such, were not prepared to do anything about this. Even after quoting the Sale of Goods Act to both staff members they refused to help me and, when asked, the male member of staff was reluctant to give me contact details for you unless I first told him what the contents of this letter were going to be. I take it that you make all staff fully aware of the buyer’s rights under the Sale of Goods Act and that your store fully conforms to the Act.

I’m sure I do not need to remind you that, under the Sale of Goods Act (1979) (Amended), the seller (you) has responsibility to the buyer (me) for up to SIX YEARS after the date of sale of goods and the goods remain your responsibility during that time. In this case, the console has developed a fault, a well documented and common fault by all accounts, within 13 months of purchase. I believe that it is not reasonable to expect an item costing around £300 to have developed this particular fault within this timescale and, as my contract is with you, the retailer, and not the manufacturer, I fully expect the console to be repaired or replaced at no inconvenience to myself.

In the best interests of all concerned, I would expect this matter will be brought to a swift and agreeable conclusion. However, if [your store] continues to take the stance that it will refuse to do anything to sort this out, I will have no option but to instigate legal proceedings in order to get the matter resolved. I will also have no option but to report this matter to my local Trading Standards as you are trading illegally under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. But I’m sure that neither of these options will be necessary.

I would expect to hear from you within 14 days of receipt of this letter.

Yours sincerely

Last owner ran it with next to no oil, so new base engine was fitted by perth Audi. The engine has 2 years Audi warranty so im not at all concerned about that, i just dont fancy paying 1k for a new clutch kit!

I'd be asking why it had a new engine fitted.

Really when they had the engine out,they should have done things properly and replaced the clutch.

The kind of owner who can wreck an engine can't be expected to have been any kinder to the transmission.

Clutches are generally considered a `wear and tear` item however Tyneside AUDI changed mine on the LAST day of its warranty.
It had been running REVO Stage1 for 25K miles prior however......

Good luck

Paul