Can't diagnose a problem

zseano

Reaction score
I've got an Audi A3 2005 2.0TFSI Quattro with 57k miles on the clock. Had it remapped a few months ago with Jabbasport (stage 1).

I know my clutch is worn and I can hear my release bearing, but i'm not sure if this is related to my problem. I also have a juddery idle.. also not sure if this is connected.

When my engine is cold and I go to accelerate (not with my foot down), its really jumpy and not smooth and I have no power at all... so I tried to take it to 3k rpm and it really struggled.. and when I let go off the accelerater the revs didnt drop for a few seconds, they froze, it's like something is getting stuck. Throttle bodies maybe?

After like 2minutes of driving, the car will jolt and suddenly all power comes back, as if something has just come "unstuck". It only does this on a COLD ENGINE. I've just had a new diverter valve put on aswell since this died on me.

I'm thinking MAF? Or dirty throttle bodies? Maybe you can guys help me sort this problem.

Thanks!

No ideas anyone? :( Going to try rule out some of the options and clean the throttle bodies and see if that helps

Try changing the fuel filter, had similar sort of issues with my s-tronic and it sorted it.

Hate to say iyt but it sounds like the problem i had on my 3.2 and that was a sticking VVT unit throwing a cam out.
You need to get someone to put VCDS on it first off. could even be coil pack shorting till they warm up/dry out.

Hate to say iyt but it sounds like the problem i had on my 3.2 and that was a sticking VVT unit throwing a cam out.
You need to get someone to put VCDS on it first off. could even be coil pack shorting till they warm up/dry out.

Can you elaborate on the VVT unit throwing a cam out? What does this mean exactly..? :\ And how can I fix it? Also, anyone in the Norfolk area with VCDS?

@jrsteeve: How much did this cost you in total to replace?

VVT refers to "Variable Valve Timing, where the inlet and exhaust valve opening and closing times are varied to create better engine efficiency, less pollution and etc. A very good explanation can be found here: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_246.pdf which I think is well worth reading. Paddy is right, VCDS will show if this is a problem on your engine or not. It is not something you can fix by yourself. Good luck.

Could be as simple a temp sensor, possibly a vacuum problem, not sure about vvt as it's a cold engine initial start up and I may be wrong but vvt comes in higher up the rev range?? MAF or vacuum is where I'd look unless a vcds scan shows the fault

Was about £120ish at Audi, not ideal but i'm selling the car so was just glad they could fix it.

Right i'll replace fuel filter and MAF and let you know if it fixes the problem, thanks for all the help :)

You should see if there are any fault codes recorded on the ecu before you spend money on replacement hardware. Where abouts are you? I am sure someone on here will have vagcom near you.

Reactions: Kelza
OP, take a look on the VCDS section on this site and look who has software that is willing to help close to where you live. I now have VCDS ( xmas present) but prior to this I contacted someone about 15 miles from me and he was well helpful. Gave him £30.00 for his troubles. Diagnosed my problem in 5 minutes. Much better than going to the stealers. Think they charge anything between £120 and £140 to run a scan then stripe you up big time for what needs doing. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this site that will bend over backwards to help you out, that is why this site is so good.