Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    3rd Gear

Status

MY12 spare wheel?

Hey guys

I'm getting together my list of "stuff I need to get before the A3 arrives" and I've just seen a report saying that the MY12 A3 "Won't have" (the article was from just before the change over from MY11 to MY12) have a spare wheel.

First up, is this true or was it just a rumour? If so, is there still space for a wheel (space saver)? I'm happy to either buy a space saver or the foam pads to allow me to get a full size spare, but if there's no space whatsoever for a spare wheel I need to rethink my options... as good as tyre weld stuff is, I point blank refuse to drive a car without a spare - tyre weld can't fix a damaged wheel, blowout or more extensive puncture.

Cheers
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

2. # ADS
    ADS

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    I got my new BE just under a month ago and it didnt have a spare wheel.

Audi use the line, you have the weld for punctures and if you have a blowout of damaged wheel then you're 3years complimentary RAC covers it.

Status
    Hi there you have to spec the space saver when you buy the car as they just give u tyre weld stuff , there will be room to put a spare not sure if the foam pads come as standard ...

3rd Gear

Status
    Edit: didn't see your reply as I posted. I'll have to get in touch with them about the space saver. As long as there's is space for it I'm reasonably happy - is it a cost or no cost option, do you know?

I went through a broker who's online option form wasn't perfect so I imagine it was missed off and I never noticed the lack on the purchase order form.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Status
    Hi i think it is a cost option , you could always buy another alloy as there not cheap even on ebay..

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks. Yeah I'll probably get a spare alloy and tyre as the space savers are surprisingly expensive, plus I'd rather have a cheap real tyre than a space saver.

Cheers guys.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audigex View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I'll probably get a spare alloy and tyre as the space savers are surprisingly expensive, plus I'd rather have a cheap real tyre than a space saver.

Cheers guys.

I'm also waiting for a new A3 sportback, due in a few months and this is also on my list.
    What was the outcome on this? Iv'e read on here you can buy the space saver for around £70? Id rather put that towards a 16/17" full size wheel - does anyone know what size the wheel 'well' is/what size wheel tyre you can fit in it?
    Current driving a mk6 golf - will the wheel 'well' be the same size?

Cheers,

Neutral

Status
    Hi Guys - Can anyone help me on this please??

I've just taken delivery of my new MY12 A3 Sportback and I already have a 16" steel wheel with a 55 series tyre on it which I have used on my past three A3s as a spare wheel. It fits in the wheel well OK but you really need to get the foam inserts to fit under the luggage compartment floor to get a nice level surface. With MY12 the car now comes with a compressor and a tin of tyre sealant and these are in a foam insert that takes up the whole of the well well. The well will easily take my 16" wheel and tyre which is 620mm diameter. I have the optional 17" alloys and 45 series tyres and these are the same diameter.

Here is a photo of my A3's luggage compartment with my 16" spare wheel in place...

Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I've just taken delivery of my new MY12 A3 Sportback and I already have a 16" steel wheel with a 55 series tyre on it which I have used on my past three A3s as a spare wheel. It fits in the wheel well OK but you really need to get the foam inserts to fit under the luggage compartment floor to get a nice level surface. With MY12 the car now comes with a compressor and a tin of tyre sealant and these are in a foam insert that takes up the whole of the well well. The well will easily take my 16" wheel and tyre which is 620mm diameter. I have the optional 17" alloys and 45 series tyres and these are the same diameter.

Here is a photo of my A3's luggage compartment with my 16" spare wheel in place...

Thanks for this Dave,

So on delivery I should have: Compressor, sealant, foam inlay.
    You do not get a jack/socket wrench? (as these are not needed with the sealant)

Where did you purchase the steel wheel/tyre from?

You still get the jack and wheel brace togther with all the various pins for hanging the wheel on when you re-fit a wheel and the plastic tweezers for removing the wheel nut covers and the large plastic bag to put a dirty wheel in. Just no space-saver spare wheel.

I purchased the steel wheel from my Audi dealer back in May 2005 and had it painted silver (it comes in black) and purchased a appropiate 205/55R16 tyre and had it fitted. The current price for the steel wheel on ETKA is £66.95 (incl vat). Works out more expensive than buying a space-saver spare but as I go on holiday to Germany and Austria most years using the car I did not want to get a puncture on the way and then be restricted to 50mph for the rest of the journey.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    You still get the jack and wheel brace togther with all the various pins for hanging the wheel on when you re-fit a wheel and the plastic tweezers for removing the wheel nut covers and the large plastic bag to put a dirty wheel in. Just no space-saver spare wheel.

I purchased the steel wheel from my Audi dealer back in May 2005 and had it painted silver (it comes in black) and purchased a appropiate 205/55R16 tyre and had it fitted. The current price for the steel wheel on ETKA is £66.95 (incl vat). Works out more expensive than buying a space-saver spare but as I go on holiday to Germany and Austria most years using the car I did not want to get a puncture on the way and then be restricted to 50mph for the rest of the journey.
    Ok thanks. Will probably just look for a space saver then as I travel all over UK but haven't destined into Europe yet!
    Had the space saver on my Golf for a few days and that didn't cause much of a problem - at least you can still drive up to 50mph.