Airbag wiring loom

ru4shaw

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the wiring loom from the airbag? and if i swap the loom from a airbag that come from a steering wheel with controls to a airbag that come with a steering wheel that didnt have controls, would that work (e.g controls)?
thanks
ru4shaw

Why would you want to swap the airbag wiring loom from a mfsw to an airbag on a standard wheel ?

Or have I misunderstood the question ?

one airbag is the old style (loom for airbag and steering wheel controls) and the other is the new style with the chrome ring (loom only for airbag)
if that makes sence

one airbag is the old style (loom for airbag and steering wheel controls) and the other is the new style with the chrome ring (loom only for airbag)
if that makes sence

Can't really get at what you are trying to do ! I need to know what year and what shape the steering wheel airbags are because early A3's had a single stage airbag which is not compatible with the newer dual stage system.

The 'shield shaped' airbags are dual stage and the sort of triangular shaped airbags are single stage.

You can't put a new type wheel steering wheel (shield shaped airbag) onto a car with the old style single stage airbag because the control module is incompatible.

It is likely that the old style loom will have a plug with a single connector to the airbag whereas the shield shape has two connectors to the airbag. In addition, the loom for the mfsw has an additional plug for the wheel controls which the standard wheel does not have.

Hope this helps

Cheers

i got two flat bottom steering wheels both with the round airbags, one with dsg and multifunction (airbag old style) and one which is just flat bottom with no controls or paddles (new style airbag chrome circe)
so i wanna swap the airbags over so the new style airbag is on the multifunction steering wheel but the new style airbag only has the plug for the airbag and not for the paddles, so i got to change the looms over
thanks

If you are just wanting to swap airbags then take the loom out of the old mfsw and connect it to the new airbag. The old loom will have the necessary extra plug/s and should be a direct swap.

That's what I did on the ordinary round wheel to swap from standard to mfsw.

how do i remove the loom from the airbag? theres two little yellow bits on top that pop up a lil but its still not relasing the loom and i dont want to break anything
thanks

You should have a green plug and a red plug, each with a yellow tab on the top. Using a small screwdriver just lever the yellow tabs upwards as far as they will go and the plugs should unclip. You will have to pull the plugs up very firmly.

Make sure you have the battery disconnected if the airbag is on the car !

I think I saw a thread on here about changing the air bag cover. So old style cover for the newer style cover.

I wanted to change the looms over as one didnt have the multifunction wire
Manages to do it mate , thanks

got a few part numbers i want to check if anyone knows
would airbag loom 8j0 971 589 b and 8j0 971 589 h both work on a multifunction dsg wheel?
and same with the airbag 8j0 889 201 k 6ps and 8j0 880 201 n 6ps?
thanks