Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Sideways

Status

Question Painting Callipers

Right i've scoured old threads but can't find what i'm looking for. I've decided to paint my brake callipers red, and hammerite smooth looks ideal. But do i need to take them off to paint them, or can i just mask up and do them on the car? And anything i need to be careful of? Other paints may be considered but i'm set on the colour. Thanks.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Just mask them up on the car and it will be fine, or free hand if your good. Hammerite is ideal
    S3 gone but not forgotten, now on a Golf R

5th Gear

Status
    In the past I have painted them on the car, masking up the bits you want to avoid. Only thing you'll find is its a lot harder to get them clean enough to pain them 'well', as everything is coated in break dust and this will mix with the paint and ruin your finish if your not thorough/careful!

1st Gear

Status
    spray it with break-cleaner , scrub it with a wire brush spray it off again, mask everything around it and go for it, i used high temp red spray paint from halfords... about £6 for a big can, easily did all 4 and there's some left over!!
    ROGUE TRADER

5th Gear

Status
    POR 15. Do NOT go anywhere else...

Been there, done that: Hammerite will go brittle and start to fall off within 12-months.

POR 15; brush on to get a smooth long lasting finish.

POR 15. Believe me...

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    Don't Halfrauds do specific caliper paint kits? I'm sure I did my Pug 106 GTi brakes years back.

I'm thinking of doing mine too, is red still accepted as the "in" colour for the calipers?

With an Ibis White S-Line Black Edition, i'm thinking the red stripe in the wing badges will tie in nicely...?
    Last edited by Helifella; 3rd January 2012 at 17:25.
    RegardsHeliFellaVCDS newbie.8V now ordered...I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/ '61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates, gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

jonnysimm

Status
    I have painted mine too but i did mine in bright orange because i have black wheels. got the paint off e bay give it a good clean with brake cleaner and wire brush and paint away looks good but you will have to do it a few times ive done mine about 3 times now but they are hard to get the black brake dust off. im happy with mine and ive not had any of it fall off or go brittle.

Sideways

Status
    My cars red so I thought red or black and black seems a bit pointless, so red it is. And the mrs saw some brembos on a golf gti and said she liked it. I reckon red with the ibis white too. I've never seen anyone try white, but there's probably good reason cos they wouldn't be white for lon!

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Helifella View Post
    Don't Halfrauds do specific caliper paint kits? I'm sure I did my Pug 106 GTi brakes years back.

I'm thinking of doing mine too, is red still accepted as the "in" colour for the calipers?

With an Ibis White S-Line Black Edition, i'm thinking the red stripe in the wing badges will tie in nicely...?
    yeah i think the do its about 25 quid... and im 99% sure if you peeled the label off it'll be the same can underneath lol, porsche brakes are still red from the factory now. so i guess there still in? im thinking of doing mine gold tho?
    ROGUE TRADER

Sideways

Status
    Gold should look nice on a dark car. There's no reason for people to stick to red just cos it's the in colour. If it suits your car try it, you can always just re-do it if it looks cack.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willowsdad View Post
    My cars red so I thought red or black and black seems a bit pointless, so red it is. And the mrs saw some brembos on a golf gti and said she liked it. I reckon red with the ibis white too. I've never seen anyone try white, but there's probably good reason cos they wouldn't be white for lon!
    ash-b has white callipers on his they look nice but his car is lava grey , i painted mine silver as i didn't want to do them red haven't got the brakes to show off lol
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

Sideways

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    ash-b has white callipers on his they look nice but his car is lava grey , i painted mine silver as i didn't want to do them red haven't got the brakes to show off lol
    I'm lucky the 3.2 has got reasonably big brakes to start. I thought everything on ash's car was dark. I reckon white will look the nuts, but keeping it clean must be a mare.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

events moderator

Status
    I'm lucky the 3.2 has got reasonably big brakes to start. I thought everything on ash's car was dark. I reckon white will look the nuts, but keeping it clean must be a mare.
    show off lol , was thinking of putting some bigger brakes on the front so it looks better the 1.6 brakes are tiny they look lost behind my wheels can't imagine what its going to look like when i get my 19's lol , everything is dark apart from the brakes take a look through his thread I'm sure he has some pics on there

Sideways

Status
    show off lol , was thinking of putting some bigger brakes on the front so it looks better the 1.6 brakes are tiny they look lost behind my wheels can't imagine what its going to look like when i get my 19's lol , everything is dark apart from the brakes take a look through his thread I'm sure he has some pics on there
    You need to find a 170 tdi in a breakers and take the brakes, they're a decent size. I'll take a look at ash's thread when I get home, I never get bored of looking at well modded and shiny cars.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

events moderator

Status
    You need to find a 170 tdi in a breakers and take the brakes, they're a decent size. I'll take a look at ash's thread when I get home, I never get bored of looking at well modded and shiny cars.
    yeah i will have a hunt around soon , loads of breakers around cardiff will try and find other bits too

Sideways

Status
    yeah i will have a hunt around soon , loads of breakers around cardiff will try and find other bits too
    What bits have you got in mind? Saw the pics of your rs earlier very nice. Must've been weird going to a 1.6.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

Neutral

Status
    Try a wire brush bit in a drill or dremel to clean the calipers,what about painting them yellow?give a bit of contrast.

events moderator

Status
    What bits have you got in mind? Saw the pics of your rs earlier very nice. Must've been weird going to a 1.6.
    not sure yet got a few things i want to do but not saying till they are done if they even get done that is lol , lol yeah it was a bit strange from that to this but this car is cracking on fuel so am not going to moan at all thats why I've still got it 4 years on

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brough74 View Post
    Just mask them up on the car and it will be fine, or free hand if your good. Hammerite is ideal
    On numerous cars over the years I have painted callipers using heat resistant (red) engine paint. Unless you race the car it does not burn off and keeps it's colour.

1st Gear

Status
    Oh please - brakes in this instance is spelt BRAKE not BREAK !!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Who cares? It's hardly leading to confusion.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Sideways

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WAFTER View Post
    Oh please - brakes in this instance is spelt BRAKE not BREAK !!!!!
    Funny how sometimes the silliest things annoy you. I hate it when people use to instead of too! And yet I know my grammar isn't perfect, and probably quite often wrong. I also find it annoying to watch my better half type at a thousand words a minute, only to delete half of it at the end to correct her spelling mistakes! Moan over.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

MPG the new BPH

Status
    any one got any pics on them done would like to do mine silver or black in the summer

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

1st Gear

Status
    I painted mine satin black with high temp paint from halfords, have used the same pot for all three of my cars now, only cost about a fiver

Top Gear

Status
    The reason paint "flakes off" and "chips" is because you are not sealing them with high temp clear lacquer.

If you just paint them (spray or out the can) then the paint is exposed to the elements. Once they are on and the paint is dried apply a few coats of high temp clear lacquer and your brake colour will last a lot longer.