Puncture repair and tyre wear questions

TimG

Reaction score
I know they plug things like nails and screws but it looks like the GF has managed to run over a broken bottle/ headlight or something as its sliced the tyre and penetrated. How much is impossible to say without removing the tyre I guess. All I know is I was out on new years day changing a tyre in the pouring rain!

Whats the likleyhood this is repairable/ is it worth even attempting to repair it?

I have never actually had a puncture before in 10 years
laugh.gif

DSC05065.jpg

Secondly, the tyres on the back of the car still have 4mm left of life, but have been on there for at least 3-4 years and are showing signs of cracking in the sidewalls. Is this an issue to be concerned about?

DSC05059.jpg

Any advice considered, not necessarily taken
laugh.gif

I dont think they would repair a cut like that in the tyre. As for the back tyres, they still have plenty of wear in them, yes the rubber is perished, but it would be safe enough to un them through the cold weather, if car was due an mot, they would probably just give an advisory on the Tyres being perished.

to do a repair they drill out the damage which in this case is not possible

I used to fit tyres and repair them as a job and unfortunately mate the tyre is knackederd the cuts in the tread might have been touch and go to repair but as soon as there's a cut in the side wall then it's game over because the sidewall takes all the weight and a plug wouldn't be able to cope with the pressure sorry to bear the bad new mate hope the new tyre isn't to costly :(