Tyre Pressure Debate

I

imported_migzy

Hello,

No it's probably been done before,

But what tyre presures are you using front and back for evey day use on your 3.2 with 17's.

Comments please.

Cheers

Migzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

600 psi all round... it makes the car bounce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hello,

No it's probably been done before,

But what tyre presures are you using front and back for evey day use on your 3.2 with 17's.

Comments please.

Cheers

Migzy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Migzy, please see my other post to give you an idea of what you may wish to try.

2 days after taking delivery of a new 3.2 I noticed a six-inch nail in the tread block on the nearside rear. Aaaargh !!! Unrepairable as it was right next to the shoulder of the sidewall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I've been running around on the skinny spacesaver spare until the tyre shop gets in the requisite P Zero Rosso tomorrow morning.

I'll have to check, but iirc I last set the pressures at 2.2bar front and 2.4bar rear.

After 6900 km (4312 miles), my fronts are SHOT. Funny thing is the inside shoulder of each front tire is more worn than the outside shoulder (!!!).

So that has me thinking I may have slight front toe-out, which would explain the high-speed dartiness and transverse-wind sensitivity...

BTW, they're Continental Sport-Contact 2s, 225/45/17 on five-spoke alloys.

I'll check my pressures again, but I tried equal fr-rr, then more fr than rr, then less fr than rr (front as per recommendations, rear a little more) and that's what I like best...

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to check, but iirc I last set the pressures at 2.2bar front and 2.4bar rear.

After 6900 km (4312 miles), my fronts are SHOT. Funny thing is the inside shoulder of each front tire is more worn than the outside shoulder (!!!).

So that has me thinking I may have slight front toe-out, which would explain the high-speed dartiness and transverse-wind sensitivity...

BTW, they're Continental Sport-Contact 2s, 225/45/17 on five-spoke alloys.

I'll check my pressures again, but I tried equal fr-rr, then more fr than rr, then less fr than rr (front as per recommendations, rear a little more) and that's what I like best...

[/ QUOTE ]

jamieben,

Surprised that you experience transverse wind sensitivity, as the electromechanical steering setup is supposed to automatically adjust weighting to reduce this. And it works very well on mine. I agree about the higher rear pressures though, really helps the cars balance and heavily reduces understeer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've only just adopted these tyre pressures though so can't really comment on tyre wear.

Japper, I was surprised at the high-speed lateral wind sensitivity! I had read about the steering having been designed to counteract outside forces, be they torque steer or sidewinds (I think it's in the rack & pinion design, and more specifically in the slope of the convoluted teeth)... Maybe I have a slight alignement problem? We'll see...

Discard what I said above: it isn't 2.2 fr and 2.4 rr but 3.0 fr and 3.2 rr.

Might go with 3.2 fr and 3.4 rr as the shoulders are still suffering (which in the case of the no-camber-gain McPherson strut front suspension, is a given no matter what you do...)

[ QUOTE ]
Japper, I was surprised at the high-speed lateral wind sensitivity! I had read about the steering having been designed to counteract outside forces, be they torque steer or sidewinds (I think it's in the rack & pinion design, and more specifically in the slope of the convoluted teeth)... Maybe I have a slight alignement problem? We'll see...

Discard what I said above: it isn't 2.2 fr and 2.4 rr but 3.0 fr and 3.2 rr.

Might go with 3.2 fr and 3.4 rr as the shoulders are still suffering (which in the case of the no-camber-gain McPherson strut front suspension, is a given no matter what you do...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohly cripes, your running 43/44psi front and 46/47psi rear and they're not bald in the middle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nope, more tread in the middle than on the (almost bare) shoulders...

Recommended high-load pressure (as per label inside fuel cap) is 3.0 and 3.0...

Does 3.0 bar pressure make the car any more pitch-sensitive and harsh over bumps compared with 2.2 bar