Rattling / gravely noise when in neutral - S3

Denty

Reaction score
I have a rattling noise when in neutral , once clutch pedal is pressed down the noise stops, lift off pedal & noise reappears - it had a new sach uprated clutch 2.5k miles ago. The flywheel was ok & didnt need changing as confirmed by APS. After the clutch change the pedal felt good for around 1k miles (after a 750 mile bedding in period) but it now feels soft and doesnt have much feel at all.... I had the whole system bled (properly) recently to try and cure but this has made no differance:mad: the master and slave cylinders have also been replaced...

Any ideas?

cheers

sounds like clutch release bearing...... loose clutch plates or dmf issues.
is the bell housing still tight

How many miles has your car done?

A clutch release bearing would rattle when you put your foot on the clutch not off wouldn't it ?....are you getting any vibration ? Sounds like DMF to me....

Reason I asked about mileage is that the gearbox in mine had always grumbled a bit,especially when cold,and had done this from new.

Having had a few fairly agricultural boxes before this,I wasn't really concerned,as it worked fine.....anyway,at the same time as the recent engine rebuild,we had the gearbox and transfer case stripped,as the box was geting a bit noisy at 35 000 miles.

The selector forks were badly worn,as were a number of the gearbox bearings,and whilst it has had a LOT more torque over the years,the fact that some of those noises were there from the start did make us question some of the original QC.

Still....there's no way of knowing or proving that.

Just be aware that the box can be noisy as well as the DMF,the release bearing and so on.

cheers for the replys lads - i think DMF aswell but the mechanics say no its fine....

Sometimes the clutch pedal has a great positive (firmish like it should be...) feel with a definate biting point then 5 mins later the pedal feels all soft with no feel at all - when the pedal is like this the rattling sound is also louder... Its Driving me mad!! it feels clonky when selecting gears aswell, like the feeling of not pushing the clutch all the way in but i am....

Oh yea she's just hit 41k now

A clutch release bearing would rattle when you put your foot on the clutch not off wouldn't it ?....are you getting any vibration ? Sounds like DMF to me....

Not really any noteworty vibration just the rattling sound

I will, thanks mate. gearbox wear at 41k....... what was that about german engineering ?:think: my old 1.8t V reg a3 quattro (chipped) was ok gearbox wise and it had over 130k on the clock...hmm

sounds like the release bearing to me , same thing happened on mine was noisy then eventually collapse thought it was the dmf but it turned out it was just the bearing so put a new clutch and bearing in good as new

I will, thanks mate. gearbox wear at 41k....... what was that about german engineering ?:think: my old 1.8t V reg a3 quattro (chipped) was ok gearbox wise and it had over 130k on the clock...hmm

I guess it's a question of increased torque on one side plus apparently known problems like the fork wear.

Varying clutch pressure would not be the gearbox though ? Seems odd that anyone would change the clutch for you and not the thrust bearing ? I suppose that when the peddle goes soft it dosnt pump up ?