Wheel arch rub with spacers on S3 8P3 (all else OEM)....Any solutions??

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
And by solutions I don't mean take spacers off!!

In brief:

Car is running OEM S3 wheels / tyres / suspension.

Car is running 11mm Forge spacers front and rear.

With 5 people in the car the tyres are rubbing at the rear under heavy suspension compression.

Will changing arch liner bolts resolve, or do I need to change suspension and modify ride height? (I was hoping to drop 20mm, not raise 10mm!!!)

Any advice appreciated, TIA!

Hello,

I had the same problem with 20mm momo spacers front anda rear anda with people in the car the tyres are ruburing at the rear.

I have OEM suspension anda now 19"8x5 wheels 235/35 tyre and no more ruburing because the tyre hit a screw inside the rear bumper. You need to work inside the rear bumper.

I'll whip out an arch screw out and get a flat headed replica for starters, thanks for the heads up.

if you're geting it lowered then set the camber -1° 30". i think that should work, i'm runing 12mm front pretty much low and no rubing. on the rear i also replaced screw, i'm thinking of putting 15mm's back :D

i would take out the "screw" that seams to be the plague of the 8P mine was catching before she was lowered so i took that out and only get the odd catch rarely when going round a bumpy corner but thats because it is lowered take the screw out and you should be all good mate

i would take out the "screw" that seams to be the plague of the 8P mine was catching before she was lowered so i took that out and only get the odd catch rarely when going round a bumpy corner but thats because it is lowered take the screw out and you should be all good mate

I'll get to it this afternoon! Doing my head in. People who I was driving thought it was their fault the car was dragging its **** s they now have a weight complex!

haha they'll all be on a diet now lol , its a torque bit (hex bolt) if i remember correctly i don't think audi would have changed it can't remember the size maybe T30 but don't quote me on that

change jobs to a lap dance club..........
then if you give any of the workers a lift im sure they wont make ya back end rub lol........

Options are:

Remove screw and trim bracket slightly
Increase -camber (mines at 2 degrees currently)
Run narrower tyres with a slight stretch
Run smaller spacers
Firm up the rear shocks
Dont put people in the back

Raising the ride height is NOT an option, ever
wink.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: br20vt and pinterovski
I think it's T25 not T30 mate..........although they might both work as I doubt there's much difference lol

So..............Scott doesn't like Fran eh.....I seen it with my own eyes....

and Warren ???? how old are you :whistle2: you will be blanking the rear wiper next :)

Reactions: theo289
So..............Scott doesn't like Fran eh.....I seen it with my own eyes....

and Warren ???? how old are you :whistle2: you will be blanking the rear wiper next :)

Yup, and I've got a 'roll hard' sticker to go down the side of the windscreen

@ N8

Something I saw at ADI 2011

web.jpg

Chaps i have s-line 18" wheels, wanted some 10 or 12mm spacers, will i get any rub? not lowered just all standard

cheers ben

Guys Im suffering from major rubbing :( I have this set-up atm, sat on Eibach Pro Kit springs 50mm at the front and 40 at the back with staggered wheels..8x18 ET35 with 225/40 and 9x18 ET45 with 235/40.

I had these for the past two weeks and Im experiencing major rubbing, its getting even worse as the springs are settling :'( Is there anyway of stopping this from happening or will I just have to change the springs?

Cheers

I have 15mm spacers at the rear on standard 2007 S3 wheels, screw removed with no rub at all. :yes:

I have H&R 12mm spacers sitting there ready for install also.
Thought I wouldn't have any rubbing issues with 225's, appears not.
Will remove the screw at install. Hopefully it's not bad as coilovers are my next mod.

Thanks for the tips above.

I replaced the screw with a less narrow one as didn't want to remove it completely. Because I don't want to hit a bump and the tyre knock the side of the bumper out of the retaining clip. It's reduced rubbing but still present. May have to keep trying smaller screws until it goes.

Annoying really as my Leon Cupra r was lowered 30mm and had 15mm spacers with no rubbing.

Yes, read my post #11 above.
So even with the set up I have removing the screws and trimming the bracket could help? But what bracket are you talking about and which screws? Lol noob here.

So even with the set up I have removing the screws and trimming the bracket could help? But what bracket are you talking about and which screws? Lol noob here.

Again, look at Frans Post above with the photo! :)

Do what I do and reverse up a kerb incline so that just the back wheel tucks right up into the arch. This will let you see exactly where its rubbing and whether you stand a chance of remedying it by removing the screw and trimming the bracket that the screw goes into! TBF its not gonna hurt your chances getting that screw out anyhow, takes 5 seconds to do!

i have 15mm spacers on mine, its lowered on coilovers but on standard wheels. i get a slight rubbing but nothing major. i will remove the screw tomorrow and then let you know how it is. 15mm spacers look good as the wheels fill the arches now!!!

great thread...had the same issue with my audi and it looks like it is the screw. i would be interested in putting a replacement into the car so does anyone have a replica/ something which will fill the gap?

Thanks!