Gap insurance

microfly

Reaction score
Hi all some advice please have been offered gap insurance by an audi stealer but was wondering if i would be better off getting it on line from an independent insurer.
just had a quote by an independent insurer and for 4 years cover they quoted £299 where as from audi stealer they quoted £499 .
What i am weary of is the small print which comes with insurance ,you know what it is like with insurance companys when it comes to paying up they come out with ''in paragraph 6, sub section 4 it states blur de blur de blur''.
So if anyone can give me some pros and cons about gap insurance that can help me make my mind up that would be great.

Tell the stealer you can get it for 299 elsewhere and they will prob match it. I turned it down at £499 and just as we closed the deal for the car they came back and said £299.....
Good luck :)

The thing is paddy, i intend to pay by finance until march to get my two free services and then pay it off in one lump so its not like i need it to cover the finance period for a few years.I don't know ,what do you think?should i be getting it anyway

The thing is paddy, i intend to pay by finance until march to get my two free services and then pay it off in one lump so its not like i need it to cover the finance period for a few years.I don't know ,what do you think?should i be getting it anyway

Get it anyway... If something happens to the car in two years and its a total loss, you get your money back at the full value of what you paid for it as it "bridges the gap" between your insurance pay out and the price of the car when bought...

On or off of finance is not relevant...

Micro

I paid cash but still went for GAP...It covers for 3 years. In 3 years i think my £32k car will be worth £18k tops so £100/year is insuring me against a poss loss of £14-15k if some one nicks it, let alone if i smash it. All insurance is a gamble against not needing it so its just what its worth to you. In money terms it added less than 1% to the purchase cost. dont forget its not transferable so if you only plan to keep your car a year then the premium is in effect tripled.

Thank you for the advice guys may be i will try and make a deal now i know what i can get it for on line .
I know its off topic but they also offered me a paint and leather treatment package which is supposed to protect the paint and leather for life but again i have been looking at detailers to maybe get this done ,i havn't been quoted by audi for this yet but was a bit taken back when the guy said this is to protect the paint work against fading .
Is there paint work that bad that it fades over time ?

i got gap insurance too when i bought mine on finance well worth the money , my insurance is the same as i pay per month for the finance so happy days just another month's finance thats the way I'm looking at it

TBH on Micro i had the paint deal as well but got them to throw it in as part of the deal as i couldnt shift them on the overall purchase price of car.
Audi paint is superb usually but any protection you can put on it is going to be good news TBH. an indi detailer will be better if you can find a good one.

At the moment i am a bit stressed i have agreed to part ex my 2008 c200 merc for an approved used S3 on a 2010 plate,the deposite was paid2 weeks ago but i wanted the plate off of my merc transfered onto the S3 which the dealer said could be up to a 7 day wait which was fine.Anyway the new log book turned up but the tax disc which the dealer had sent off for still hasn't turned up so they can't let the car go.
I did tell them to get one direct from the post office which wounldn't be a problem and i could send the other one back and get a refund on it but apparently because it was reqested through a dealership they will not refund me the money ,so i asked if the dealership would swollow the hundred odd pounds for the lost tax disc but they said they aren't prepared to do this .So i won't be out playing in the S3 over the Christmas period 'doe' what a balls up

Where's their Christmas spirit? It's only £100, and it's a main dealer. It's not as if that's a massive slice of their annual profits! If I was you I'd go with having the car detailed rather than any protection, various lads and lasses on here do amazing work I'm sure you must be close to one of them. You should check out russzs and his wet sanding on his golf, it's in the detailing section. Sure the car will be worth the wait when you finally get it, and what a way to start a new year! Don't forget to put pics on when you get it.