RNSE screen protection film review

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
In the last couple of weeks I've been squaring up a few cosmetic issues with the car, and this the pricey RNSE screen was something I was intent on keeping in perfect nick for the life of ownership of the car.

The amount of people who get in the car and then start poking at the screen thinking it's a touchscreen causes enough headaches for me to dig down the side of the sofa to find some spare cash for a remedy.

Initially I went with the 'Is this vital' (Answer: No), then buy cheap mindset.

Product 1: Savvies Crystal Clear RNSE screen protector (£3.40 from Amazon)
41etEM5KPIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link to product: Savvies screen protector Crystal-Clear for Audi RNS-E: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Now I'm not sure how much of your lives I'm inclined to waste by talking through this product. It's cheap, slightly too large (required guillotine cutting by about 3mm per side), and despite using ant static wipes and cloth to clean the screen, the minute I peeled back the backing film (gently), the protector was so static charged that every spec of dust within a 100 yard radius was attracted to it within the blink of an eye. This meant washing it, so it was never going to be 100%, but after doing the best of a bad job it went on with a bubble or two and looked terrible. The ease with which a screen protector goes on is usually proportionate to amount spent, and it was truly the case with this one. Terrible.

To make matters worse, it was so glossy you couldn't see the screen in the day time and rendered the screen almost unreadable in bright sunshine. My wife said it looked like cheap tat but I left it on until something else arrived to keep the screen protected. As the screen has not sustained any damage since it was on this is the only praise I can lay at it's door

Rating: 1/5

Product 2: NuShield Inc. Dayview Film for 6.3" Nav Displays (E.g. Audi RNSE) - Sourced direct from NuShield USA $18 inc. delivery (no taxes payable)

h_1.jpg

Link to product: NuShield screen protectors provide long-lasting protection for your Audi display

All I can say is revelation. Sent in a robust package, this film is thick and looks purposeful out of the box. It was designed for use in the military for products used out in the field, so for what it is, it's actually remarkably cheap. Delivery takes about 2 weeks, but it was well worth the wait.

Again I cleaned the screen with anti static screen wipe and a glasses cloth, and guess what; right size, fitted like a dream, looks just like the OEM anti glare finish. It was easy to install, line up, and with the edge of a credit card I smoothed it on and it looks a treat. It's actually hard to see there is anything on it at all.

I've taken some initial shots (1 with a flash to show lack of on screen glare), but please note these were taken at 6pm in my garage with an iPhone 4 (so not the greatest of shots).

I will do a follow up review when it's been used for a bit, but initial signs are very encouraging. If you want to protect your RNSE screen from grubby mitts, winter sneezes or whatever else the world can throw at it, I can seriously recommend this film.

Rating (to date): 5/5

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Any questions; fire away!

Last edited:
you not spec dab or tv???

No, wasnt really interested TBH. Sort of mod that can be retrofitted by Nige so if I was to change my mind I can give him a bell.

are their any threads that list retro fitting v/s factory option pricing?

Doubt it. Will be more expensive afterwards, but then if you really want it then cost is incidental I guess.

keep the reviews coming warren would love to see some detaling reviews

you should have cut it in half and installed only on half of the screen so we can see a before/after from the same shot. Maybe when you decide to remove it, just remove half of it so we can finally see the actual difference.

keep the reviews coming warren would love to see some detaling reviews

If you do mate it will be because someone else has done it as:

a) I'm lazy
b) I'm rubbish at it!

Thanks though!

you should have cut it in half and installed only on half of the screen so we can see a before/after from the same shot. Maybe when you decide to remove it, just remove half of it so we can finally see the actual difference.

When I've had my 3 years use out of it I'll do that! Strangely as it was new and I need it I just didn't feel compelled to hack it up ;-)

when my snow foam lance arrives i will get one done

Nice write up :thumbsup:

A week late though, scratched my RNS screen the other day. Just a little scratch luckily not really visible.