EM TuningChris Nott
    Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter

Numberplate trimming

With a short cherrished number I have about 2.5 inches at either end of my plates so I can legally trim them down as long as there is atleast a 11mm margin. Just to be a bit individual and remain on the right side of the law.

I read the other week one of you had trimmed your plates too, so I would like to know the best way of trimming it down without making a pigs ear of them!?

Thanks
    Regards
    HeliFella

I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Meow.

Status
    Trimming is ****. It just wastes them.

Get a proper short set made up via either Fancyplates or craigsplates.

facebook.com/m9tbh

Status
    halfords make LEGAL short plates.

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Dolphin Grey
    Matt Black Grille / Lamin-x / Tinted Rear Windows / BOSE Premium Audio / S3 Spoiler / Coilovers / S6 19x9 Alloy Wheels / Remapped

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

As the DVLA couldnt get their finger out my new car came on a 61 plate and the dealership have sent me some new plates with my cherrished number on. So I don't want to be spending when I have a brand new set of plates sat here waiting for the documentation to be processed. Just wondering if a dremmel would be ok?
    Regards
    HeliFella

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

MPG the new BPH

Status
    get pressed ones look the ****

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Neutral

Status
    Put masking tape where you want to trim the plate so it does'nt crack.
    Mark straight lines on it and use a jigsaw or a normal saw to cut and use a file to tidy up the edges.
    WANTED

Aircon Pump for a 2005 Audi A4 2.0 tdi S Line

Meow.

Status
    The problem cutting with a jigsaw is it melts the plastic. You've just spent the best part of what...30k on a car and are skimping over a £20 set of plates that will make or break the look....

Neutral

Status
    I have cut number plates many times mate never had the plastic melt. If you cut the bit that is taped then there will be no problems.
    WANTED

Aircon Pump for a 2005 Audi A4 2.0 tdi S Line

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Tape along the line you want to cut. Cut with a jigsaw and then file and sand by hand. Don't use an electric sander for finishing as it will generate too much heat and the plastic will melt. Electric jigsaw or bandsaw is fine to use for cutting

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by nally View Post
    get pressed ones look the ****
    What site was it you can buy the legal ones from?

Meow.

Status
    Dubmeister iirc

MPG the new BPH

Status
    i recomend this guy he done mine they look amasing and are 100% leagle have the post code and company name on them
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    p.s get them with out gb
    1 its ****
    2 i think its a sticker

MK5 Golf GT

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nally View Post
    i recomend this guy he done mine they look amasing and are 100% leagle have the post code and company name on them
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    I have these on my Golf MK5 at the moment from this eBay seller.. I've just received a £60 fine from the plod, got pulled over with them saying they are not legal! Which i disagree with
    Golf MK5 GT TDI | Mapped to 180bhp - 290lbft | 35mm H&R Springs | Silver Cabon Fibre Inlays | 20% Rear Tints

To Do: RNS/RCD510 | FBSW | Backbox Delete | Ed30 Rear Valance | Black BBS CH 18"

Meow.

Status
    Lol, a mate of mines got fined for having 'legal' pressed plates then when he tried to argue he got a breach of the peace fine.

MK5 Golf GT

Status
    That's just stupid, the cops in this country need to focus on sorting the real issues out not handing out fines for people doing nothing wrong. When they get bored it's all they do, i mean the cop who pulled me was sitting infront of me in some traffic and decided to get out and get me for my plates. God know's how he saw them..
    Golf MK5 GT TDI | Mapped to 180bhp - 290lbft | 35mm H&R Springs | Silver Cabon Fibre Inlays | 20% Rear Tints

To Do: RNS/RCD510 | FBSW | Backbox Delete | Ed30 Rear Valance | Black BBS CH 18"

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Finally the DVLA decided to post my docs through, so it was out with the Dremmel yesterday. I'd already been sent the new plates by Coventry Audi so it was just a case of trimming them down. I traced around the existing '61 plate to get the straight edges & corners correct and here is the final product, which I am really pleased with. As the coloured screws didn't match with the position of the letters I decided to use a roll of double sided padded tape instead to give a fuss free, smooth look. I really like the front plate as it accentuates the large grill rather than dividing it in two which I think the full length plates do.

Last edited by Helifella; 9th January 2012 at 17:37.
    Regards
    HeliFella

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    I have these on my Golf MK5 at the moment from this eBay seller.. I've just received a £60 fine from the plod, got pulled over with them saying they are not legal! Which i disagree with
    Presumably you have contacted the ebay seller and shown him a copy of the fine document ?

Somebody is wrong and if it's them then they need to seriously change that advert !! If it's not them then you can appeal can't you ?

Neutral

Status
    Might have to give this a go on mine. I've only got 5 characters though so might look a little too short? I'll have a search for some other user's
    Tom

2007 1.9 Audi A3 8P Sportback