Clutch, Flywheel or something else?

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am experiencing some strange goings on with my pulling off (not in that way) in my car. From the lights in first you can hear like a screeching sound - almost like a small wheelspin - but it isn't. Only brief and there's a slight judder. It doesn't do it all of the time, but probably 6 out of 10 times. It has also started to get stuck in gear (in 1st) or sometime not allowing me to put it in Reverse. It's like I haven't dipped the clutch enough.

Is there any known issues with the 8P 2.0 TDI gearbox, clutch, flywheel? I have done 94k in the car since new (2005).

I took the car down to a mate who runs a garage, but typically he couldn't get it to do it. I didn't want to turn up to a stealer and have to fork out for a health check for them not to find anything. And I wanted to see if anyone has had or is having the same issues and what it was you did or had done to resolve it?

Anyone have a clue of what it could be?? Am I about to have to fork out for a new clutch?
Wilko

Fan belt slipping?? The judder could be coming from it spinning up and then regaining traction.

If it was constant I may suspect DMF or clutch.

Hopefully it is and it will be a cheap fix.

I think the screeching noise will be the thrust bearing in the clutch, and the judder will probably be the clutch plate itself warped slightly, which will get better or worse with the change in its temperature.

Sounds to me like its time for a new clutch assembly and I hear that its a good isea to do the DMF at the same time because its already done 94k and you'll have to spend the money to take out the gearbox and the clutch again to change the DMF if it breaks just after you have the clutch done.