Confused. Clutch and flywheel advice please

swatchuk

Reaction score
Bit of advice on which clutch set up to go for please. Just had my S3 put to stage 2+ and the instant I put my foot down it slipped so need a new one now. From what I've read on other posts these are the options I need to decide on.
Sachs SRE uprated clutch and a dual mass flywheel
Sachs SRE uprated clutch and Sachs single mass flywheel
Or Spec stage 2+ or stage 3 clutch and Spec aluminium or Steel single mass flywheel??

I'm just wondering how bad the noise and gear changes are with the smf? I don't mind a bit of extra noise but don't want to make it really bad as it's my daily car. I do the occasional track day and even more occasional drag at the pod.

Any advice from you guys who have got any of these set ups would be great. Or if there's anyone in the north west area that wouldn't mind meeting me and showing how there's is would be even better.
Thanks guys

Sachs + LUK(oem) Dmf is what i have. Works great with almost OEM feel. No noise either. No experience of the single mass kits but unless your using it all day on a track i would imagine my set up would be fine for you. S3Alex is running ~450BHP on this setup and had no problems thus far.

Sachs + LUK(oem) Dmf is what i have. Works great with almost OEM feel. No noise either. No experience of the single mass kits but unless your using it all day on a track i would imagine my set up would be fine for you. S3Alex is running ~450BHP on this setup and had no problems thus far.
Slight update on that....!.....the Sachs has been excellent,and has managed well beyond it's manufacturer specs,but Stg4 has finally overcome it.
It was OK with 440lbs,but is definitely not OK with 2bar boost and an extra fuel pump,and the extra torque will make it slip.....Stage 2+ though will be fine.

I agree with S3RYE it is what i run aswell, clutch pedal is a bit heavier but fine once your use to it

The smell of your burning clutch brough74 lol

Well it was new when i took you out and had to bed it in lol

Think DMF is the safer long term bet. Better drivability, less strain on crank, everyones a winner!

Got to agree with warren, stay DMF. I think SMF will be hard work/annoying on a daily + the added strain on the crank etc can cause serious issues.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I just want to do the right thing first time as I don't want to be taking the box off again. To be honest my car doesn't get much stick really, i was just concerned that if I ever want to do a drag race will the flywheel give up. I had a single mass in my 8L S3 and it didnt bother me to much but from what I've read things are different in the 8P.

Ive gont down the SMF route, and it does make a bit more noise on idle (flywheel chatter) but other than that i love it!