Shark Performance S3 stage 1- 3? Any good?

RedDejavu

Reaction score
Website
www.sunnytree.co.uk
Hi Guys thinking of getting my car mapped Jan/Feb and therefore need some advise if any of you get hesitation issues or misfire using Shark performance maps Stage1 - Stage 3? They sound like a good alternative and doing a deal atm but not sure about driving experience in comparison to other competitors like REVO AMD etc. Looking forward to see what you guys think.

Cheers!

PM N8 as he knows a lot about Shark. personally I never heard anything bad said about them and have met the Guy that writes the actual maps, "...focus is on reliability and smooth consistent power across all individual cars...."

What's on offer ?

Like Spin said, Never heard a bad thing and Naths ya man to speak to!

Ive got shark stage 1 on my 2011 S3, and I have to say that I'm struggling to notice a difference.

To be fair to shark they have offered to have a look, but I cant find the time for the journey down there. Dont get me wrong its fast but whats the point in remapping if there's no discernible difference.

Ive read a few reviews on here about shark on there has always been a wow factor post remap, but I dont feel it.

Have you had it On a rolling road or ran it against as standard car. The maps are very smooth and progressive with no big lump of torque to kill off the clutch. Have you access to vcds to run some logs?

Have you had it On a rolling road or ran it against as standard car. The maps are very smooth and progressive with no big lump of torque to kill off the clutch. Have you access to vcds to run some logs?​

Basically no, and I'm not doubting the remap, but if you cant notice a difference I dont see the point in a remap. As I said previously when I have read reviews on here they have quoted a discernible difference, I just dont feel this

I think the hard part with a remap is the fact it's not like a suit which you can try on and put it back on the shelf if you don't like it.

There are a range of options out there, and all you can go on is personal reviews from owners across a range of VAG sites. My only word of caution is that when people have spent good money on a modification, it takes a candid, honest and strong minded person to say 'I'm sorry, but that's not good enough', and all too often people come onto forums to brag rather than give absolutely clear objective opinions, so if reviews sound TOO good to be true, they usually are.

In some cases you may have to live with your decision for years after youve made it, so put in the hours and do the research, even think about your long term upgrade path,talk to the tuner about the support they can offer, and think about locality of the tuner because if you get issues you don't want to be doing 4 hour trips is a car that's misfiring heavily.

Yes you can always change, but make the right choice first time and you won't need to. There is no right or wrong answer, and to reiterate, it really is the hardware that is the issue here, so Shark's maps will be perfectly good for the car, it's just whether your car is in the x% of the cars we get to hear about that throw a tantrum!

That is the problem I find with the S3, it puts the power down so well and feels so stable on the road you don't normally feel such a difference in power until you starting adding hardware. The only time i find a big difference is when i remove the software and drive the car stock, then it feels a bit dull and lacking spark.

That is the problem I find with the S3, it puts the power down so well and feels so stable on the road you don't normally feel such a difference in power until you starting adding hardware. The only time i find a big difference is when i remove the software and drive the car stock, then it feels a bit dull and lacking spark.

I'd agree, as it doesn't light up its front wheels post remap like FWD cars, it can more readily mask the fact you have another 40-50bhp under the bonnet, but you should use super unleaded to ensure you get the value from the map.

Point in case was at first year with stg 1 I got a 5.4s 0-60 (13.9s quarter) at GTi international on the ****ty track at Brunters in the damp! Until I saw it on paper it was hard to believe it was that quick. And it was my first ever attempt at a quarter mile. S3 masks its speed well.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research before I remapped and plumbed for shark for a number of reasons including switch ability and reliability. Maybe there is something amiss, I really need to find the time for a trip to mansfield. The map has been checked as I have emailed it back to shark for appraisal.

The car runs fine but doesnt feel quicker

I was just offering an opinion to the original point

All the posts I've made about this and I am still thinking of it myself! Lol. Even worse is Shark are only 7 miles from me! I am still reading and reviewing my options between Shark and Revo. I am erring towards Revo but having Shark so close could sway it. Then again.....

Can Shark advise you of anyone local who has a mapped car for you to passenger in? Then see if you can get a passenger ride in a Revo car. Might be a useful way of seeing which is most to your preference.

All the posts I've made about this and I am still thinking of it myself! Lol. Even worse is Shark are only 7 miles from me! I am still reading and reviewing my options between Shark and Revo. I am erring towards Revo but having Shark so close could sway it. Then again.....

Give 'Sock' a shout, up the road from you! He'd be happy to take you out (Dave's a good lad!) Also, any questions re Shark ask W8 or myself, we'll be happy to help.

i'd be really interested to hear how you get on with this, as Shark and Revo are the two options i'm considering as well.

Enjoy the rides :))

My advice would be to go for somewhere close in case you have any issues in the future. Also, bear in mind all these 'problems' with maps almost always are underlying issues with the car itself - i.e. weak clutch, weak spark plugs, etc.

Alright red
If your after another option then think about an Evolve map, been running it on my car without any issues, personally think its a fantastic map and they guys know their stuff, a few of the guys on here have been in my car and also a couple others are also running Evolve maps, also with them being in Luton, they are pretty local

Been running an Evolve map on the wifes car for 2 years now and no issues. Also had my previous 335d mpped to 350 by them, very knowledgeable and very helpful, maps are written in house and they have a super accurate Dynodynamics.

I would use them again.

Alright red
If your after another option then think about an Evolve map, been running it on my car without any issues, personally think its a fantastic map and they guys know their stuff, a few of the guys on here have been in my car and also a couple others are also running Evolve maps, also with them being in Luton, they are pretty local

Will have a look into it. Thanks jungleman!

I've been running Shark Stage 2 map (with Blueflame TBE, NGK Iridiums, Forge Twintake and Forge DV) for the past 7-8 months now and it puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel! I'll be going Stage 3 (equivalent to Stage 2+) very soon and to date have had absolutely no issues re misfires or any other sorts of problems to report, ..she hasn't missed a single beat. Shark maps are very smoth and progressive as opposed to explosive, but Ben (great guy and SO knowledgable) did ask me when I was requesting the Stage 2 map, if I wanted more aggression or more of the same smoooth, powerful delivery I was already getting from Stage 1. You only have to ask and you'll get exactly what you're looking for out of your Shark mapping. I love how smooth the power delivery on my car is, but don't get me wrong, it's PDQ at the same time, lol! :wub: xx

Last edited:
Good write up Paullie, Shark seems to be a really good option here but would love to see how the car drives using AMD/REVO maps although I assume they all pretty much give you same feeling just the price vary.... a lot:p.

I've been running Shark Stage 2 map (with Blueflame TBE, NGK Iridiums, Forge Twintake and Forge DV) for the past 7-8 months now and it puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel! I'll be going Stage 3 (equivalent to Stage 2+) very soon and to date have had absolutely no issues re misfires or any other sorts of problems to report, ..she hasn't missed a single beat. Shark maps are very smoth and progressive as opposed to explosive, but Ben (great guy and SO knowledgable) did ask me when I was requesting the Stage 2 map, if I wanted more aggression or more of the same smoooth, powerful delivery I was already getting from Stage 1. You only have to ask and you'll get exactly what you're looking for out of your Shark mapping. I love how smooth the power delivery on my car is, but don't get me wrong, it's PDQ at the same time, lol! :wub: xx

Paullie - Do you have Shark's STS system?
If so, does it allow you to play with timing, fueling, boost etc like a REVO SPS unit would?

If so, does it allow you to play with timing, fueling, boost etc like a REVO SPS unit would?

The shark STS is like the evolve switch, it purely loads and unloads pre set maps

Thanks for the reply Jungleman.

I am after a fairly aggressive map...something to throw you back into your seat. Would you recommend Shark for this?

To be fair, evolve, shark and revo are all pretty aggressive, I can't remember my stage 1 numbers but youcan see my stage 2 numbers on my sig. The mid range performance at stage one was a huge difference, really knew the difference in the performance, but to make the most of the changes you'll have to start looking in to extra performance parts. Best thing you can do is try ad get a ride in a mapped car so you can get a feel for it.

Yes Buddy, I have the STS, but as Paolo says, it's purely a switch, loading maps (though it reads fault codes too). Just ask for the more aggressive map option (not sure if that's only available for stages 2 and above) and Ben, N8, Rob (W8) or whoever you buy from will sort it out for you. :wub: xx

Evolve seem to have a really good name predominately amongst bmw's. Only heard/read good things about them.

Evolve seem to have a really good name predominately amongst bmw's. Only heard/read good things about them.

This is true, BMW is the core customer base and they have a reputation world wide that is staggering, but there isn't anything immy or sal can't get the best out of, on the times I've been up there and known them they have had a vast array of cars getting the evolve treatment

Quick question would downpipe and sport cat do the job for Stage 2 or I need full TBE? I really do like the squashed OEM cat back ovals. Do I need to get ITG as well with Stage 2? Cheers

You can do a DP and cat/decat, bit it doesn't give the best results as there are still a lot of restrictions in the back box the will hinder the air flow out of the system and yes you do need a CAI, the stock air box is woeful and will strangle performance massively!

You don't need cat back. But you do need downpipe, sport cat and filter.

I can supply these if you need them.

Rob

Hi Rob yes I'm considering going Stage 2 but dont want to loose OEM look therefore downpipe and sport cat is perfect for my needs still waiting for the new ITG filter to be released though as they say it meant be quite and less in your face looking. Hopefully I get all done next month worst case just Stage 1 if wont get enough spare cash:]. In addition how much extra do you charge for the stage 3 remap if I already have stage2? Is it still the same price? Cheers!

Ouch ! Revo charge £50 per stage.

In an ideal world you would change the whole exhaust system but in reality its the downpipe and sports cat that make the most difference so W8 is correct in his posting, the difference between the oem back box and eg a milltek back box is negligible, weight savings are good though. My only concern with sticking with an oem rear would be the additional heat produced by a well used stage 2 + car.

personally if its just the tips that you have an issue with, get a custom back box made which will give you the better flow, weight reduction and that way you can spec the tips you want